17' Series Just ordered 17.56-1 OB today

Jaypanda

Apr 22, 2013
Adelaide
We are very excited to have just ordered and Expanda 17.56-1 OB. We had a long and hard think about whether or not to go for the ensuite model, but chose the extra space instead as we have 4 kids.
After spending a long time browsing these forums we decided on the following extras:
  • external dropdown table with LED light on top
  • external tv point
  • extra external power point
  • extended drawbar
  • extra gas bottle and fittings
  • full annexe with extra window on front wall
  • privacy screens
  • 100AMP battery
  • oven
  • 150L fridge upgrade
  • 2 extra double power points under dinette and bunk table
  • bed light for bottom bunk
  • extra tv point in kitchen on end robe
  • 3 shelves to end robe
  • We also got the 'lifestyle entertainment pack' which is free until the 28th April. It includes: wind-up antenna, dvd and cd player, tv and internal and external speakers
We weren't sure about whether or not to get the Tregg hitch, but after discussing with family have decided to call Jayco tomorrow and add it to our van.

Expecting delivery of our new van in 2-3 months.

Reactions: Ch00ka77

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Welcome Jaypanda, that's a good list there, if you intend on free camping down the track I'd also add more 12v outlets, especially with four kids.

Cheers.

Jaypanda

Apr 22, 2013
Adelaide
Xpandafan the outback model comes pre-wired for solar. Thought we'd do the solar panels later when we need them. They seem to be getting cheaper and cheaper with time too

Reactions: Xpandafan

Brettmc

Oct 18, 2012
Perth
Just had a quick look and have only found two , one below the microwave and the other near the TV cabinet.(2013 56-2 OB)

Jaypanda

Apr 22, 2013
Adelaide
Thanks for that Brettmc. Good to know....I just couldn't remember seeing any when we were looking at the display. How's your Expanda going?

JASA

Mar 15, 2013
Melbourne Vic.
Hi Jaypanda,

Welcome to the forum. We have the same van, love it. So does the family :)
We have 3 12v points inside the van. One near the tv cabinet, one near the spice rack and one under the seat near the control panel.
As mentioned already, you might want to consider an extra 12v point outside if you are going to free camp. We put one on the off-side of the van that we plug our companion hot water shower into.

Cheers James

Reactions: Jaypanda

Jaypanda

Apr 22, 2013
Adelaide
Hi JASA. Did u add the 3 12V points inside the van as extras , or were they standard? Looking forward to getting our Expanda, after upgrading from a Cub camper.
Very good point about the extra external point on the offside.

JASA

Mar 15, 2013
Melbourne Vic.
Hi Jaypanda,

the 12v points on the tv unit and above bench near spice rack were standard on the OB. The point near the control panel came as a bonus. We didn't ask for it. I wonder if they drilled a hole in the wrong spot and had to fill it in!! I'm not complaining, it works and has been used a few times.

The external 12v on the offside works a treat. We also had them install a LED camper style light up high above the 12v point for some light while we shower!

Reactions: Jaypanda

Jaypanda

Apr 22, 2013
Adelaide
Thanks for being so helpful JASA. Going to call our salesperson tomorrow to confirm that there are 2 internal points and order an extra external 12V point on offside. Amazing how much you learn on these forums....makes life easy learning from others experiences!

Reactions: JASA

randl007

Oct 27, 2011
Queensland
Hi Jaypanda welcome to the forum. I think an offside light is a must. We do not have one and everything on our van is on that side so a light would come in handy. I think we may have to put one in after market. Enjoy the forum it's a great source of information.

JASA

Mar 15, 2013
Melbourne Vic.
Thanks for being so helpful JASA. Going to call our salesperson tomorrow to confirm that there are 2 internal points and order an extra external 12V point on offside. Amazing how much you learn on these forums....makes life easy learning from others experiences!

No worries. Our salesman hated this forum. Every other day we went back to him to add to our list of options! Hope your not using the same bloke ;) He'd be tearing his hair out. It's good to get it right now though, rather than try and retro fit something later (usually at a greater cost too).
Good luck with it all, I'm sure you'll have great times in your new van...we do

Jaypanda

Apr 22, 2013
Adelaide
I already called him today to add the tregg hitch JASA...I'm sure they're used to it. We really just want to get it right the first time, as we plan on keeping our Expanda for a long time. Unlike our Cub which we were happy to get rid of!

Reactions: JASA

Jaypanda

Apr 22, 2013
Adelaide
So who does everyone insure there Expanda with? We had our Cub with RAA and were gonna do the same with our new van, but after reading other comments on Expandas Downunder realised it didn't actually cover what we thought it did. CILs PDS looks even worse...way too scary.
I noticed a lot of people seem happy with Suncorp. Any ideas???

JASA

Mar 15, 2013
Melbourne Vic.
I already called him today to add the tregg hitch JASA...I'm sure they're used to it. We really just want to get it right the first time, as we plan on keeping our Expanda for a long time. Unlike our Cub which we were happy to get rid of!

That was our attitude as well. When your handing over a lot of hard earned money you want to get it right. I made one mistake that I'm regretting now...that was not getting the extended drawbar. We need more storage space and now I'm limited to a smaller tool box than I'd like!!