16' Series Jolca Hot Tap

garfield28

Jun 28, 2021
NSW
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone out there has had a gas bayonet added to their van for either their BBQ outlet or for adding something like a Jolca Hot Tap? I'm thinking I'd love to add a external shower for free camps so the Mrs and kids are happy, as a big gripe on the weekend where we were was there was no shower the Mrs wasn't real happy I think it would be a welcome addition to the van for now then in a few years when the kids grow up and no longer want to come the wife and I will upgrade to something with an ensuite and shower. Maybe I could have hot water to the sink tap also with the Jolca?

Thanks

Reactions: mfexpanda

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
Hi,

I am in the process of doing this myself. Bought the Joolca unit and now the mounting bracket which I put on the side of the van.

I have also purchased the double ensuite and it has worked very well. Used the shower the last few trips and has been nice and warm and easy to use. I am currently working on a hose to the internal tap for hot water inside.

I am currently not sure what to do about the gas connection but have just used one of the bottles off the front. I need a splitter one to two outlets, at the gas bottle but not sure about this as they do not seem widely available but some are sold on the net.

The only thing I want is a shower base to get the water to run away better, would be much better for the site.

Let me know how you go.

Stuart

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone out there has had a gas bayonet added to their van for either their BBQ outlet or for adding something like a Jolca Hot Tap? I'm thinking I'd love to add a external shower for free camps so the Mrs and kids are happy, as a big gripe on the weekend where we were was there was no shower the Mrs wasn't real happy I think it would be a welcome addition to the van for now then in a few years when the kids grow up and no longer want to come the wife and I will upgrade to something with an ensuite and shower. Maybe I could have hot water to the sink tap also with the Jolca?

Thanks

Reactions: garfield28

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Legally requires a gas plumber to fit the bayonet so I suppose a spot handy for your HWS and barbie and run some water lines for the outdoor shower set up, have seen the lines run to rear with small gate valves and quick connect couplings to plug the shower into with a shower tent thingy at the back of van....though that ran off the vans HWS.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I have a Joolca in my factory and find it ok as a fixed hws. I didnt have anything previously, and mine is mains connected and permanently mounted. The D cell battery has lasted 6 years, and a 9kg bottle literally lasts forever ...... but

I have a Coleman portable hws that outperforms Joolca, and is truly portable. With both on hand I wouldnt take the Joolca camping. The capability of the Joolca is in the details, at the rated 6 ltr/min flow output it's 20deg heating capacity at that rate is very low. To get a reasonable heating capacity the water flow rate has to be dropped to around 2.5 ltrs/min if memory serves.

They are good reliable units, or at least mine is, but there are better options for camping

garfield28

Jun 28, 2021
NSW
Hi,

I am in the process of doing this myself. Bought the Joolca unit and now the mounting bracket which I put on the side of the van.

I have also purchased the double ensuite and it has worked very well. Used the shower the last few trips and has been nice and warm and easy to use. I am currently working on a hose to the internal tap for hot water inside.

I am currently not sure what to do about the gas connection but have just used one of the bottles off the front. I need a splitter one to two outlets, at the gas bottle but not sure about this as they do not seem widely available but some are sold on the net.

The only thing I want is a shower base to get the water to run away better, would be much better for the site.

Let me know how you go.

Stuart

Cheers Stuart. Sounds like you're half way there at least. Was thinking of adding another gas bottle to the draw bar but have been advised not to by a few of the members because of the extra weight I'd be adding. I wanted to add a 15l diesel heater tank also, and along with the bike rack which is about 15kg-ish plus 2 bikes it is starting to really add up the tow ball weight. Maybe I need to see what it would actually go by weighing it.

I have a Joolca in my factory and find it ok as a fixed hws. I didnt have anything previously, and mine is mains connected and permanently mounted. The D cell battery has lasted 6 years, and a 9kg bottle literally lasts forever ...... but

I have a Coleman portable hws that outperforms Joolca, and is truly portable. With both on hand I wouldnt take the Joolca camping. The capability of the Joolca is in the details, at the rated 6 ltr/min flow output it's 20deg heating capacity at that rate is very low. To get a reasonable heating capacity the water flow rate has to be dropped to around 2.5 ltrs/min if memory serves.

They are good reliable units, or at least mine is, but there are better options for camping

Thanks Crusty. The coleman HWS i'd imagine is just a small hot water boile type thingy for cups of coffee and the like not something suitable for a shower or to fill a sink with hot water in a hurry for washing up?

Legally requires a gas plumber to fit the bayonet so I suppose a spot handy for your HWS and barbie and run some water lines for the outdoor shower set up, have seen the lines run to rear with small gate valves and quick connect couplings to plug the shower into with a shower tent thingy at the back of van....though that ran off the vans HWS.

Thanks Drover. If I could tap it into the tanks for the hot water to run from that would be pretty cool and convenient.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Thanks Crusty. The coleman HWS i'd imagine is just a small hot water boile type thingy for cups of coffee and the like not something suitable for a shower or to fill a sink with hot water in a hurry for washing up?
You imagine incorrectly. Very effective shower. Higher flow, and hot enough to take your skin off. Its what ive used for showers, washing the dog, dishes etc for 10 years.

garfield28

Jun 28, 2021
NSW
You imagine incorrectly. Very effective shower. Higher flow, and hot enough to take your skin off. Its what ive used for showers, washing the dog, dishes etc for 10 years.

I will have to check it out then. I'd love something that can provide quick hot water to the sink for washing and also a nice warm shower for the Mrs and kids while free camping would be awesome

i have a coleman as well good but fiddly to use

Not a fan then mfexpanda?

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
I will have to check it out then. I'd love something that can provide quick hot water to the sink for washing and also a nice warm shower for the Mrs and kids while free camping would be awesome

Not a fan then mfexpanda?
good for hot water but its a bit fiddly for showers
my first choise was to fit a hot water system in a expanda with external shower

garfield28

Jun 28, 2021
NSW
Ahhh so you ordered it with the HWS not buy and install your own. I was thinking of maybe if I could buy one and install myself but I think they'd be ultra pricey and I don't think they hold a great deal of hot water do they

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The surburban holds around 20 lts which is more than enough most times, you soon learn to jump on the "Long Time Charlies " under the shower, especially when you have to lug the water when off grid, no matter what HWS you use...... Solar shower bags do a damn good job along with the plastic jerrry of water laid out in the sun, you will certainly burn your hand if not careful, used them for years with the grommets, lugging water taught them to appreciate it more.

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Oldie or new model??. Ive got the old one. I bought the new one and was about to donate the oldie to my son until i test drove ... he got the new one, not nearly as good. Should have just kept the money in my pocket
the old one with the dial and swing out tap that you attach the shower hose to .
i would man the dial end while the wife would shower the kids

garfield28

Jun 28, 2021
NSW
Can anyone tell me if I set up a joolca or something similar how I'd feed the water to it from a water tank under the van? If I had a water pump the line would need to fit all the way down the tank to the bottom of the tank wouldn't it, coz the water couldn't be sucked out of the tank any other way unless it was gravity falling I'd imagine?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Can anyone tell me if I set up a joolca or something similar how I'd feed the water to it from a water tank under the van? If I had a water pump the line would need to fit all the way down the tank to the bottom of the tank wouldn't it, coz the water couldn't be sucked out of the tank any other way unless it was gravity falling I'd imagine?
Just plug it into the tap on the draw bar using van tanks and van pump it will them work if your plugged into mains as well, you dont need any more weight or expense.

Reactions: mfexpanda

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
The Joolca will require a 12v caravan style pump to push the water through. Water tanks fill and drain from the bottom so you could rig up a tap/click fitting at the tank outlet to connect the Joolca hose to but if you already have the water tanks and a tap in the van youll need check valves to stop air being sucked into the system and stopping every tap from working. The Joolca (and the other portables) arent really a set and forget arrangement or much chop as a substitute for a fixed pressurised system. You (and/or your showering co-pilot) by yelling directions need to adjust the burner temp and the water flow on the unit itself on the fly whilst youre using it, these on-unit adjustable dials provide what a house flick mixer does, and youll already know how much fine tuning and adjusting you do in the shower at home. The unit itself won't be in the shower tent, so someone will have to be outside to adj it on the fly. Even for sink use the unit has a high temp safety cut out, so if you were to set it to high it will just tap out once it gets too hot. I initially plumbed the flick mixer in my factory with two water inlets (as you do); one direcly to the Joolca and to then to the hot side of a flick mixer and the other directly to the cold side of the mixer. The idea was the Joolca would provide always high temp hot water to the mixture and I could regulate it with the cold (same as at home) The hot line pressure is reduced via the Joolcas onboard PLV and with the full pressure from the cold line directltly to the mixer the cold just over powered the flow and stopped the hot water. I wasnt able to set it up any other way than reverting to adjusting the water temp via the 0n-unit dials.

Dont get me wrong, its a reasonable unit but it will never work like a house or plumbed caravan system. So long as youre happy with that it will do what you require ... just with a bit of management. That's why I leave it permanently mounted it at the factory and just take the Coleman

Last edited:
Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Interesting CrustyCon, I would have thought you just plugged it on to a tap, bleed it and you would be good to go for flow but of course you have to mix to get temp right ...................... Looked at set ups but never got into them to see the Pro's an Con's other than more stuff to fiddle with.............. Then again I forget many vans without HWS have hand pumps .......... DoH

Reactions: Crusty181