Inside Temp with cover on!!

steve67

Oct 9, 2014
Wantirna, VIC
I popped the roof today and found if difficult....the seal was stuck down so tight that when I kept on pushing up the roof, the rubber seal pulled out of the track on one side of the van. It was easily fixed but I'm wondering and suspect that the van cover in the heat caused this.

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
I popped the roof today and found if difficult....the seal was stuck down so tight that when I kept on pushing up the roof, the rubber seal pulled out of the track on one side of the van. It was easily fixed but I'm wondering and suspect that the van cover in the heat caused this.

This happened to us at Christmas. The seal down the awning side. I didn't give the cover and additional heat a thought until you mentioned it. It went back in easy enough.

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
I put a temp gauge in the van yesterday. Van in full sun with a prestige cover on it, all vents and windows closed.
Outside 40.4
Inside 45.6
So not to bad, went and got the gauge out at about 9pm
Outside 37.2
Inside 40.1

Reactions: Smirke and steve67

steve67

Oct 9, 2014
Wantirna, VIC
I put a temp gauge in the van yesterday. Van in full sun with a prestige cover on it, all vents and windows closed.
Outside 40.4
Inside 45.6
So not to bad, went and got the gauge out at about 9pm
Outside 37.2
Inside 40.1
Thanks for your feedback on your experiment. I'm wondering if my high figure was caused by having the thermometer mounted on the wall with the sun hitting the van wall right behind it

ScottT

Jan 10, 2016
Northern Beaches, Sydney NSW
What about creating some type of air gap between the cover and the van, say with pool noodles (or similar).

It may allow air to circulate between the cover and van, thus keeping temps down ?

Bit like a tropical roof on a camper trailer

Just a thought ;)

Reactions: Smirke and steve67

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I just woke my van up after a 3 month hibernation and I thought I might check the Max Temp that the van reached inside...
This can't be good for it.View attachment 37994
I found the same with our last Expanda. Hot enough to bubble the roof skin. Took the cover off and put it in the garage never to see sunshine again.

The van lived outside for the 5 years we had it. Kept in clean with boat wash, and polished it occasionally. When we sold it look as good as new

Reactions: steve67

steve67

Oct 9, 2014
Wantirna, VIC
I found the same with our last Expanda. Hot enough to bubble the roof skin. Took the cover off and put it in the garage never to see sunshine again.

The van lived outside for the 5 years we had it. Kept in clean with boat wash, and polished it occasionally. When we sold it look as good as new
Mmmmmm, now I'm not sure if I should put mine back on.

Reactions: Crusty181

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Mmmmmm, now I'm not sure if I should put mine back on.

I still think UV is a greater risk than the internal temperature.

I've had mine uncovered for a couple of months because it's such a PITA to fit.

When I opened the picnic table the other day and washed it, it was amazing how much whiter it was underneath the table than the rest of the side, and that's the side that is in the western sun.

The 3M cleaner brought it back really well but the cover is back on now.