Happy Birthday

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hey Expanda I'd personally be leaning towards the Patrol especially with towing the 18' you have in mind. My old man tows a 18.5' offroad van and is rapt with its performance so far included a few interstate trips with the van on the back. His is the 1st of the Common Rail 3.0l diesel model GU's and its done over 150,000ks

My brother also has a GU4 and it also has 150,000ks and been to every state of OZ towing an offroad camper trailer.

Nice looking Patrol you have to Moto ;)

Yep looks like the Patrol it is :)

Just need to find a rig for the right dollars!

Mate 150,000km for both Rich and your dad! Mine is not even run in yet at 61,000km
:cool:

Mate nice rig! I can see why the pajero is a pipe dream she looks like a beast!

61000km that is nothing?????:cool:

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Hi guys, sorry to come in late on this subject but have been away for two weeks and off line.

I have a 2006 Navara 3.0L D22 that I have owned since new and now has 87,000 odd Km's on it. It has gas added to it which improves its performance as does its 2.75" exhaust. It has a 75L fuel tank which gives me a range with no van of around 800Km (under 9L per 100Km) and with the van between 550 to 600Km (under 12L per 100Km). On top of the diesel usage it also uses about 3L of gas but gas is half the price of diesel. My van has a tare of 1537Kg and a ball weight of 105Kg so is well within the limits of the Navara and I am very happy with its performance with and without the van.

We have just returned from Townsville, travelling with a mate who drives a 2006 4.2L Patrol(also fitted with gas) but his performance figures are around 15-16L per hundred for diesel while pulling a 17' Royal Flair caravan.

I can't advise on the newer models but for info on the Navaras, go to their forum at http://www.navara.asia and you will find answers to any question you may have. I believe there is a similar forum for Patrols but have never visited it.

I have included a pic of my rig taken at Calliope (near Gladstone Qld) free camp site.

Good luck with your hunt.

Paul

Attachments

• DSCN4142.jpg
    DSCN4142.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 323

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Welcome back chartrock, hope you had a great trip!

Love the photo, looks like a great combo. I also had a 2006 D22, it was a top car!!!!!!

The only issue for me was the total lack of room for kids in the back. Other than that couldn't fault it. The Patrol was the natural progression for us once the kids came along (a bit like going from soft floor, to Hawk to Expanda):D

Here's some pics of my old rig:

DSCF0230.JPGDSCF0591.JPG

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Welcome back from me also Chartrock

Hey Moto whats going on we went from a Dual cab ute to a large 4wd (Cruiser) then soft floor, Hawk and Expanda ''SPOOKY'' hey ! :p:D

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Hey all, have settled on an R51 Pathfinder turbo diesel.....

She has more KW's and Torque than the Patrol but a smaller wheel base so should do the trick nicely :)

There are not many around for a good price in auto with low k's, this one is an 05 ST-L model with 120k's on the clock...

Heading up to bris vegas to collect her :)!

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
OOOHHHH!

New toy.............i mean tow rig, and now in the Nissan club:cool:

Photos please...................................when you get back:rolleyes:

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Heading up to bris vegas to collect her :)!

Hey Expanda, when are you heading up this way. If you get a chance to call in, would love to meet up with you. Let me know and I will PM you a phone number and where. We are in Maudsland, at the north end of the Gold Coast.

Enjoy the new tug. ;)

Paul

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Hey mate, apologies just saw your post as we have been on the road picking the wheels up...

We flew up Friday and got back yesterday after a few short stops on the way :)!

image_1.jpg

Photos of the new rig :)

And new van on the way expected delivery is November. Could have had it in July???? But waiting till Summer for it at our choice.

Maybe next time we are up there will hit you up! :D

Thanks!

richard

Jun 9, 2011
nice pick up there Expanda:D ,, just hope the towbar is Hayman Reece and not Nissan.

you can find all you need to know about Pathie's here PCOA

Hey Bushman,

Just wondering what the problem is with the Nissan towbar? If you can let me know that would be great. Thanks in advance

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Hi Richard,
Jumping in for Bushy...read the posting http://pcoa.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=508
I bought my Pathy in 2009 and heard rumors of problem but didn't know what. From what I understand, Nissan were on their third towbar redesign by then, so i played it safe and got a Hayman Reese fitted by others. It wasn't till after that that I joined PCOA and read this posting...

Nissan advise not to fit a WDH at all on a Nissan towbar. It has been suggested by some that it still puts too much pressure on the securing bolts. Nissan told me it was because the car was so well designed it just didn't need one - it isn't a monocoque chassis and the whole ladder chassis acted as a WDH :pound:
I haven't heard of a recent problem on the series 3 or 4 models, but I still have no confidence....
It was also reassuring when the HR catalogue cover showed a Pathy with a WDH fitted