Happy Birthday

screamin seaman

Apr 27, 2011
new kid on the block

hello to whoever have joined up on this forum and having a test drive of site have just picked up 2011 expanda and am extemely happy with it we are heading to central vic for a couple of weeks and find a 10kg nugget of gold :cool::p:)

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Happy Bday for yesterday expanda. Ordered yourself a new van for your birthday present yet?

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Dang didn't see this post had responses till now!

Hmmm new van :)

Let's just say I am about 85% of the way there, I just need to be sure I will have a tow vehicle capable of towing the dam thing as it is going to weigh in at 2.7 tonnes ATM so the pajero needs to go to a new home!

And I also did go to the caravan show and I am now somewhat drawn to the Basestation, I like the fact I can have a room with a solid door that I can put the kids in and leave them to their own devices. I know its supposed to be for motorbikes but it makes an excellent kids room!

To many decisions.......

From what I hear though if we order an 18 we will not get the van till November :(

Thanks everyone for the Birthday wishes :)!

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
So what tow rigs are you considering then? My father in law is going through a similar issue and isn't sure which rig to go.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Hey mate, you have a patrol which one do you have as that is on my list :)!

These are the vehicles I can find that have 3T upwards towing and are under the 25k price bracket second hand.

1) Nissan Navara Diesel 2005 - 2007 D40 auto / manual both transmissions have 3T towing capacity with 300KG ball weight. If you are at the maximum GVM of the vehicle ball weight reduces as follows.

a) 200kg Reduced loaded vehicle mass below GVM** by 60kg
b) 250kg Reduced loaded vehicle mass below GVM** by 130kg
c) 300kg Reduced loaded vehicle mass below GVM** by 200kg

2) Nissan Patrol Diesel GU DX 3.0 2005 - 2007 Manual only 3200kg towing capacity (Auto's only 2500kg). If you are at the maximum GVM of the vehicle ball weight reduces as follows.

250kgs Reduce loaded vehicle mass below GVM** by 150kgs
300kgs Reduce loaded vehicle mass below GVM** by 220kgs
350kgs Reduce loaded vehicle mass below GVM** by 290kgs

3) Landcruiser 105 2003 Manual - 3500kg towing capacity with 350kg ball weight. I have not been able to track down wether they reduce the ball weight like the nissans if on the GVM limit.

4) Nissan Pathfinder R51 Diesel Manual - 3T towing capacity with 300kg ball weight but it reduces like the other nissans.

5) Landrover Discovery Diesel Auto / Manual - 3T Towing capacity with 250kg ball weight.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Nice lsit expanda!

Yes your choice is limited once you go a van that big, as my father in law has discovered.

I have an 06 3L Patrol ST Manual, has about 61000km on it, it was the last of the Di before the CRD upgrade. Towing my old Hawk was a breeze, but an 18 foot expanda would be double the weight of the Hawk, not so sure the 3L would be up to the task long term. In saying that though, a work mate picked up a second hand 3L Patrol at auction, 18months old, cop car, 90,000km then towed a 2t expanda around the country for 12months, he raves about the Patrol, especially considering the flogged past life it had. But there are some horror storries about the 3L on the net so who knows?

I have recently been considering a Colorado or Dmax (through work) but they are just too uncomfortable for long distance touring, plus i feel like i need a confined space permit compared to the Patrol:D I have really fallen in love with my Patrol and don't want to part with it.

When i was hunting a few years ago i had my heart set on a 4.2 GU Patrol or 100 series Landcruiser, but just couldn't find a good one and they were all $15k-$20k more expensive than the 3L. I settled on the 3L and so far it has been great (plus the price difference could go towards a chev V8 diesel conversion on day......:cool:).

I like the idea of a 1HZ 105 Landcruiser with aftermarket turbo and intercooler, i know 'Turbo Glide' in Wollongong do a great up grade package for the non-turboed 105.

I have also heard nothing but good things about the Prado and Pajero as a tow rig. No personal experience though and not sure about towing limits.

Let us know how your research goes.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Hey mate, funny you should say that as the patrol is top on my list :D

So you don't reckon its up to the task?

Also how many liters is your fuel tank and how many km's you get out of a tank?

I don't mind the 105 landcruiser but have heard reports its a bit sluggish without the turbo and that the 100 series is supposedly better but I am not sure who to believe. :(

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Mate i love my Patrol, don't get me wrong. Just not sure about the 3L towing the really big vans. But heck, they are rated to tow 3.2t, so who am i to say it can't be done, i have not actually tried.

Towing my old Hawk i used to get about 15L/100km, around town no van 12-13L/100km, highway no van 11L/100km. My two fuel tanks carry 125L so is well setup for long distance touring from the factory.

Second hand they are a great buy, i got my one 2 years old 30,000km on the clock, serviced evry 5000km for about $20k less than a new one. Plus it had a whole list of extras:D.

Its funny you are looking at Patrols, because i am currently considering the NT Pajero. Isn't your Pajero rated to tow 3T:confused:

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Hey mate, I love the pajero but my pajero is an NM rated at 2.5T until the NT version :( would love to keep it but just not the right towing capacity.

Why are you moving away from the patrol??

From what I understand though the NT has 3T towing but if the van is over 2.5T then your ball weight drops to 180KG. So 0 - 2500kg you have a 250kg ball weight and then 2500 - 3T you have a 180KG ball weight.

With the Patrol is it dual tanks as standard and what k's around town are you getting out of 125l something like 1000k's between fills?

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Mate the NT is just a pipe dream really, don't think i can afford an NT. I'm a bit of a dreamer, can't help it, just ask my wife:o

The Patrol is going no where. Its just so capable as is, i really love it. Plus I have spent too much setting it up, i don't want to start with a blank canvas again.

The dual tanks are standard which i love for touring holidays. Together they hold about 125L. On the highway not towing, yep about 1000kms or more between fills. Towing, probably 700km or there abouts between fills (expect less distance towing a bigger van). My old man had Petrol patrols in the past. The 4.8L petrol used to get half the distance of my diesel, not even towing anything. The power on tap was addictive though:D

Good luck hunting;)

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Mate the NT is just a pipe dream really, don't think i can afford an NT. I'm a bit of a dreamer, can't help it, just ask my wife:o

The Patrol is going no where. Its just so capable as is, i really love it. Plus I have spent too much setting it up, i don't want to start with a blank canvas again.

The dual tanks are standard which i love for touring holidays. Together they hold about 125L. On the highway not towing, yep about 1000kms or more between fills. Towing, probably 700km or there abouts between fills (expect less distance towing a bigger van). My old man had Petrol patrols in the past. The 4.8L petrol used to get half the distance of my diesel, not even towing anything. The power on tap was addictive though:D

Good luck hunting;)

Hey mate, just a question how does the sub tank get filled up in the patrol?

Is it one fuel filler point or two?

Thanks!

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Hey bud,

There is two filler points next to each other. One is to the 90L main tank and one is to the 35L sub tank. There is a little button on the dash you press when the main tank is getting low and fuel pumps across from the sub tank into the main tank.

Hows the hunt going?

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Hey mate, hunt is good :)!

So can you feed fuel between tanks whilst your driving from the sub to the main tank or do you need to be stopped to do it?

I think we are going to go for a Patrol....

It's a toss up between the Navara and the Patrol.

If I got a Navara I would want to put a long range tank in and a canopy on so that adds an additional 3 - 3.5k to the cost but its an auto. Navara also is a bit low and can sag in the rear when a big load is towed so for this and off road I would also need to put a lift kit in it at another cost of about 1 - 2k.

The Patrol has the long range tanks already in it, I can add the boat and boat loader straight to the roof and it sits higher than the Navara so its pretty much ready to just jump in and go versus the Navara.

So just need to move the van and car then will look for the best available Patrol. :D

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Mate, the fuel can be transferred while on the move, just push the button, easy as:cool:

Sounds like you've considered all options. I previously had a D22 Navara, it was a great car! Considered the D40 but i found the seats really uncomfortable (typical of most utes) and also the extras like canopy etc were adding up the costs too much. In terms of comfort, the Patrol is like driving a lounge chair in comparison.

What ever you go with, there are some second hand bargains out there. My Patrol came with snorkel, bullbar, spotties, towbar, tint. I have since added BFG A/T's, polyairs (one of the cheapest and best mods i did to the Patrol), steel bullbar, my Thumper battery from my old ute, and uhf.

The wish list never ends:rolleyes:

Here is my beast:D

Attachments

• Patrol.JPG
    Patrol.JPG
    235.1 KB · Views: 334

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Hey Expanda I'd personally be leaning towards the Patrol especially with towing the 18' you have in mind. My old man tows a 18.5' offroad van and is rapt with its performance so far included a few interstate trips with the van on the back. His is the 1st of the Common Rail 3.0l diesel model GU's and its done over 150,000ks

My brother also has a GU4 and it also has 150,000ks and been to every state of OZ towing an offroad camper trailer.

Nice looking Patrol you have to Moto ;)

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Hey Expanda I'd personally be leaning towards the Patrol especially with towing the 18' you have in mind. My old man tows a 18.5' offroad van and is rapt with its performance so far included a few interstate trips with the van on the back. His is the 1st of the Common Rail 3.0l diesel model GU's and its done over 150,000ks

My brother also has a GU4 and it also has 150,000ks and been to every state of OZ towing an offroad camper trailer.

Nice looking Patrol you have to Moto ;)

Mate 150,000km for both Rich and your dad! Mine is not even run in yet at 61,000km
:cool: