General Tow Vehicle Question

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
200K is pretty good for a clutch with a lot of towing, with a price of over 2G I assume thats a genuine clutch with diamond coating ????? Been a few going in with heaps less than that, my son in laws work ute BT just got replaced about 100K, they also did seals on transfer case.

My driving instructor would belt my leg if I left my foot on the clutch for a micro second after changing gear, slipping a clutch wasn't an option, the yell would be you need a lower gear, since there was either 8 or 12 gears to choose from, over 50 yrs later it's very rare for me to slip the clutch, well the last 12 I've had auto's anyway but never did it in the truck but still managed to wear a couple out, usually took 500K or so .

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I was to let the Captain jump out and then steer away from the vertical drop into the valley and run the truck into the cutting wall or a nice solid tree
Clearly Fire Captains and Ship Captains have vastly opposite handbooks. Maybe the Captain of the Costa Concordia was a volunteer Fire Captain, and simply got confused, thought he was jumping out of the fire truck. Your Fire Captain's name wasn't Francesco Schettino ..... was it?

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I had to replace the clutch in my Patrol at 295K
then got ripped off by the tosser who fitted it - he set fire t the underside of my Patrol, trying to gas axe the snapped bolts

Reactions: Drover

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
I wish I had a clutch in the new Mini first auto for a long long time apart from wives Disco.
I am very bad leaving a foot there a lot of the time while driving in traffic :(

Tow courses we did one when we got the first van learnt a few things in it. Still working on reversing some good days some not so good days :)
Most people can learn new things even old dogs :)

We did the Land Rover course on the weekend they where showing us how to use the Disco correctly offroad. So going down steep hills using hill descent only and adjusting it slower and faster with cruise control + or -.
Most of the things we did he said honestly you avoid doing them in the real world. Or work up to them. The little evoques did the same as teh Discos did and I bet that will be the last time they do it ever :)
I also found it interesting with the terrain response you have gravel, mud ruts, sand and rock crawl he said mostly just use mud ruts for almost everything.

ash99

Feb 1, 2016
Lysterfield
Just an update on this thread.

I took the Grand Cherokee for a drive today.

Drives very well. Especially after driving the Trailblazer back to back with it.

Interior is much nicer also.

Sat with the dealer and it seems that the car I wanted, White Laredo Diesel are not available.

Only option is an ex demo or 2nd hand.

Also, the cars are all built in 2015 but complied 2016. The cars were built 18 to 24 months ago!!!!

Need to look at the options carefully as I am not keen on buying a 2 year old new car.

Didn't like the gear shifter very much at all. What is the opinion on this.

There is a new model due to hit in March. This will wipe the value of the current model down a fair bit as well.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Also, the cars are all built in 2015 but complied 2016. The cars were built 18 to 24 months ago!!!!
I just had this when I was looking at demo Mini's they where dropping like $3k off them and most where nov-dec 15 built
Said to the salesman its 2 years old now he was compliance is 2016 I said no one cares it was built in 2015.
He could do me a new one and wait 3 months and pay $3k more.

I ended up buying a 2015 one with 10k on the clock secondhand saving $20k off what they wanted new with the extras.

ash99

Feb 1, 2016
Lysterfield
Hi Warren,

Thanks again for the conversation the other day. It was most informative.

Have had a couple of dealers speaking to me at the end of the week.

Had a couple of offers on the table but haven't made any decision.

1st offer was a MY2015 Laredo with factory sensors and Nav. They wouldn't budge on price. Vehicle was complianced in Nov 16 but it is still a 2 year old car in my books

2nd Offer was a my16 75th Anniversary. With towbar, 5 Years Warranty, 3 Years roadside 3 Years fixed Price servicing. Deal was OKish.

Still a bit hesitant to buy these vehicle with the updated model just around the corner.

Cheers,
Ash

Reactions: bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I would always prefer the last of the model before the first of the new model, they are always the most reliable, spare parts and accessories are available, especially after market equipment at decent prices................the problems are a known issues unlike the latest mystery car.
The build date is the thing with many models seeming to come out as a 2018 model but it only Aug 2017 ?? sort of thing but then price is way more important than a MY date I reckon.

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Hi Warren,

Thanks again for the conversation the other day. It was most informative.

Have had a couple of dealers speaking to me at the end of the week.

Had a couple of offers on the table but haven't made any decision.

1st offer was a MY2015 Laredo with factory sensors and Nav. They wouldn't budge on price. Vehicle was complianced in Nov 16 but it is still a 2 year old car in my books

2nd Offer was a my16 75th Anniversary. With towbar, 5 Years Warranty, 3 Years roadside 3 Years fixed Price servicing. Deal was OKish.

Still a bit hesitant to buy these vehicle with the updated model just around the corner.

Cheers,
Ash

5 Year Warranty sounds okay. 3 Years Roadside and fixed price servicing is standard to everyone.

Mechanical the 2017 is the same as the MY14-16. Only different is the revised front bumper and chrome trim removed from the window surrounds. There is a slight modification to the Quadra Lift suspension (if equipped).

I physically get sick when I go to the Jeep dealer. Was there today trying to sort an issue with my power steering rack. My body can't cope with being fed bullcrap.:puke:

The escapist

Nov 9, 2016
Sydney
I physically get sick when I go to the Jeep dealer. Was there today trying to sort an issue with my power steering rack. My body can't cope with being fed bullcrap.:puke:

I get that feeling when going to any dealership sales department. We've started the whole process recently to purchase a second car (incidentally a commodore as well! Wagon though). The idiots will tell you anything to get a sale, especially used cars which is what we're looking to buy.

Service departments are usually no better.... :confused-87:

Reactions: Drover and bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I made a query once about servicing price break down and found the price charged for the fuel filter was $20 more than at their own spare parts and fitting wasn't included, thankfully it was only a query so I could work out savings by doing it all myself. I could buy the same filter from an MB spares supplier for $50 less.

Reactions: dagree and bigcol