General Tow Vehicle Question

BaxnRach

Apr 5, 2013
Cobram Vic
Most of the Ute diesels sound like tractors, if touring a lot then decent rubber and replacing suspension is a must, more so than a remap which are a bit exxy....but you will never get the petrol V8 feel with them......................but if you go and trick one up with remap and other bling may as well buy 200

Mate just got a Ranger 2WD high rider and reckons it goes well towing his 20 footr.

As much as I like 200s, my Ranger with suspension that was only installed for the lift- not so much for load carrying, remap, canpoy AND the journey on the back, cost about the same as a 200 that would still need tyres, suspension and van added.
And I'm way too tight for that:)

Reactions: bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
As much as I like 200s, my Ranger with suspension that was only installed for the lift- not so much for load carrying, remap, canpoy AND the journey on the back, cost about the same as a 200 that would still need tyres, suspension and van added.
And I'm way too tight for that:)

Not only that but it would mean your a Toyota Driver as well?.........:o....:behindsofa:...........:bolt:

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Trust me when I say the power of the Jeep seems ok but it really goes well when you put your foot down.

Some basic info (from CarAdvice site) Jeep is very competitive in everything
COLORADO
DIESEL TURBO 2.8L
Cylinders: DIESEL TURBO 4
Max. Torque: 440Nm @ 2000rpm
Max. Power: 147kW @ 3600rpm
Pwr:Wgt Ratio: 83.1W/kg
Fuel Consumption (Combined)8.1L / 100km
Turning Circle 12.7
Brakes: Front DISC Rear DRUM
Country of Origin Thailand

TRAILBLAZER
DIESEL TURBO 2.8L
Max. Torque: 500Nm @ 2000rpm
Max. Power: 147kW @ 3600rpm
Pwr:Wgt Ratio: 68.7W/kg
Fuel Consumption (Combined)9.4L / 100km
Turning Circle 11.8
Brakes: Front DISC Rear DISC

NAVARA
DIESEL TURBO 2.3L
Max. Torque: 450Nm @ 1500rpm
Max. Power: 140kW @ 3750rpm
Pwr:Wgt Ratio: 72.9W/kg
Fuel Consumption (Combined)7L / 100km
Turning Circle: 12.4
Brakes: Front DISC Rear Brakes DRUM

EVEREST
DIESEL TURBO 3.2L
Cylinders: DIESEL TURBO 5
Max. Torque: 470Nm @ 1750rpm
Max. Power: 143kW @ 3000rpm
Pwr:Wgt Ratio 60.9W/kg
Fuel Consumption (Combined) 8.5L / 100km
Turning Circle 11.7
Brakes: FRONT DISC Rear DISC

JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE
DIESEL TURBO 3.0L
Cylinders: DIESEL TURBO V6
Max. Torque: 550Nm @ 1800rpm
Max. Power: 177kW @ 4000rpm
Pwr:Wgt Ratio: 80.8W/kg
Fuel Consumption (Combined) 7.5L / 100km
Turning Circle: 11.6
Brakes: FRONT DISC REAR DISC
Country of Origin United States Of America

I was surprise how many are now made in Thailand and some even still have drum brakes on rear
The Colorado and Trailblazer have the same engine so both have the same torque of 500 in auto models.

Vere

Oct 5, 2014
Adelaide
Sorry information taken directly from web site;

upload_2017-2-5_16-12-26.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-2-5_16-11-27.png
    upload_2017-2-5_16-11-27.png
    1,022.8 KB · Views: 236

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
The current (MY14 and on) Jeeps are now at 184kw and 570nm torque.
I know where you're coming from @ash99 , my previous tow vehicle was a Ford Territory Ghia turbo that was tuned with an Xcal3 to make over 300kw and 600nm torque. Made towing the van a breeze but it drank like a fish.....

When it came time to replace it there wasn't anything in a diesel 4WD that would come close to that kind of pulling power other than the Jeep. One drive and I was convinced I could live with it:)

I've since had a diesel chip fitted as well as a 3" exhaust and it's making ~220kw and 650-670nm.
Try one......

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I am refraining from singing the virtues of any vehicle now, suffice to say that what I drive is the best that I can afford and it will always be a good performer and suit my needs.................................until I can buy my Dodge.

BaxnRach

Apr 5, 2013
Cobram Vic
3287.jpg
DroverWell-Known Member
NewI am refraining from singing the virtues of any vehicle now, suffice to say that what I drive is the best that I can afford and it will always be a good performer and suit my needs.................................until I can buy my RAPTOR
Fixed that mistake for you:bolt:

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
What about an Iveco?

I was talking with someone the other day who's seriously looking at this option....

I can't afford anything like that but maybe it's an option?

(Don't know if it would fit @davemc 's tribe or @Crusty181 's wardrobe....)

I'm just curious and throw it in to start another rebellion.

:oops::o8-)

ash99

Feb 1, 2016
Lysterfield
I have contacted the local Jeep dealer and I am going for a drive in one this weekend.

Thinking a Laredo 4x4 Diesel.

They are currently listed as $57k drive away on the website.

Any clue as to what sort of discount I can push for.

Also, they have a couple of ex demos which could be had cheaper.

Another thought is the MY17 Grand Cherokee is due out this year. Has a better gear selector and improved front bumper. Also will reportedly have Apple Carplay/Android Auto which could be a good thing.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Have heard they are starting to put toy spare wheels in the Grands now, if thats so then forget them..............demo vehicle is always a better deal, you get the mats and stuff which I wouldn't buy from a dealer anyway....don't waste your money on paint protector rubbish and all that other garbage they try to sell either.

I assume you mean the Iveco Daily 4x4's ??? get a few around up here all kitted up and while I at first thought, very cool truck ,after checking them out as I followed them down the road and along the beach, Nah don't think so, mainly they are too short in wheel base and unless I have been behind some really terrible sunday drivers they don't seem to have any grunt..........I'll just sit back and wait for my Raptor/Ram/Silverado to appear in my driveway.......

Reactions: Delano and bigcol

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I've already started trying to convince Mrs Smergs that this should be our next option... :) So much potential and room for adventure. If I had a troupe of 4, it'd be almost locked in.

But if I had a troupe of four, I would have already run for the hills trying to escape so it'd be irrelevant.
Im seriously considering a Isuzu NPS300 4x4 twin cab, cab chassis. When you get up north you'll see they have the runs on the board .... a perfect strike rate for 4x4 tour buses, almost 100% of them.

Reactions: davemc

Vere

Oct 5, 2014
Adelaide
I have contacted the local Jeep dealer and I am going for a drive in one this weekend.

Thinking a Laredo 4x4 Diesel.

They are currently listed as $57k drive away on the website.

Any clue as to what sort of discount I can push for.

Also, they have a couple of ex demos which could be had cheaper.

Another thought is the MY17 Grand Cherokee is due out this year. Has a better gear selector and improved front bumper. Also will reportedly have Apple Carplay/Android Auto which could be a good thing.

There are some excellent second hand deals around. I picked mine up for $50k which is an Overland with only 21,000km on it. Every bell and whistle you could need.

Reactions: Delano and bigcol

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
Iveco???

Saw one with a camper back on our trip.
The owner was getting annoyed that he only ever got so close to so many points of interest off the track and then had to walk the last few kilometers. His wife stayed with the rig and enjoyed the peace and quiet.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Oh yeah @Crusty181 , nice rig for sure, Many moons ago the RAAF had it's Grandad truck as a 4x4 fuel tanker for helo's out bush, loved to take it out in the Brindabella's and back of Batemans Bay to refuel the Huey's, performed fantastic as I was in proper 4x4 territory , sometimes there was no road just a creek. ( and I hoped the baffles were well made in the tank)....................and I don't have to upgrade my licence (red Band) or worry about how heavy the van is................................

thumbs-up-icon-jpg.46796