Expandas brochure for 2014

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
@PhilD, totally agree with you mate. I had to take a tap measure and measure the length and width on the 17.56-1 before I put a deposit on it. The salesman looked at me as if I was crazy until I measured one of Starcraft vans (I knew it was different from brochure) and got him to check brochure to find the brochure was wrong, and by a fair bit. Thankfully length and width for the Pandas are pretty accurate with exception of ride heights for the new Jtech suspension for both the Touring and OB. The brochure still has standard suspension ride heights. Apparently the OB is a fair bit higher with news suspension.

It's these little lapses in attention to detail that stops Jayco reaching its full potential I reckon.
I can tell you the on-toad travel height of our 2014 16.49-3 OB with roof mounted Truma AC is approx 2660mm.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
@Simon Well we measured the 17.58-1 on the weekend..Ok the -3 as no OB -1. Brochure has it as 7315 we measured it at show 7030. Got a few sideway glances. I could be out a little although there is still 20 odd cm's between readings. I just could not understand with body 5473 how the length was that longer then a Journey 17.55 body length 5705 and travel was less at 7200

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
@cruza driver Well 7.4 would of killed us if I did not re-think where we put the gate. Originally thought move the fence forward just over 1m before Gas Meter.
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/anyone-used-power-movers-or-a-winch-to-move-thier-van.3987/

Then I went bugger it they can estimate the Gas, they are here this week putting up gates level with the house , man they are huge 2.4 meters high :( We need to hide the van for section 32. Also be good when the Zombies attack :).
We looked at a few vans which did not match website not just Jayco. BYO Tape measure most 20-40cm within..

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
we have had a couple of failures in the main unit's, seems they won't let us program one channel ..... and it's always the same channel. and can be frustrating to code several switches to one channel
I've been toying with the idea of using the faulty units for my shed lights, which will all be 12v when it's finished (groan!) that way i can turn the lights on/off from the house without running switch wires.
but you could also use one to switch a relay of higher amps(like they do in the jayco's), or even a 12vdc/240vac relay to turn on 240vac stuff.

a retro fit would be pretty easy for new stuff........ just mount it down near the setek, run your new wires into this and away you go .... then just plonk the switches wherever you want

now all we need are wireless ummm wires :)
@DaveS, do you know make model etc of these units and switches? Am interested in researching them a bit more.

BJ

Simon

Dec 28, 2013
Melbourne
@cruza driver Then I went bugger it they can estimate the Gas, they are here this week putting up gates level with the house , man they are huge 2.4 meters high :( We need to hide the van for section 32. Also be good when the Zombies attack :)

Those Section 32s are useless and no one polices them anyway. Beg for forgiveness rather than ask for approval I say on this one! BTW we are getting a Reich Caravan mover installed on ours so we don't have any reversing headaches. I saw it work first hand and was amazed how easy it was to move accurately.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
@Simon thanks we just reverse it up there no one was sure if they work on the new OB. Might see how we go with reversing.
With section 32 we have a few people in the street who like to complain now so rather put gate up. I assume they will not be happy with the gate size although side gate not front gate council did not care.

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
Those Section 32s are useless and no one polices them anyway. Beg for forgiveness rather than ask for approval I say on this one! BTW we are getting a Reich Caravan mover installed on ours so we don't have any reversing headaches. I saw it work first hand and was amazed how easy it was to move accurately.
Hi
did you see it working on a single or dual axle van, they work good on singles, but are useless on duals and a bit dangerous. we fitted one to a dual axle discovery, with the standard suspension, because of the nature of that suspension the drive rollers can lose contact with the wheels thru a small gutter or dip, ended up we took it off and wouldn't sell it to the bloke.
And they don't turn that well anyway as they have to drag 2 wheels around. we will only fit them to singles now.

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
@DaveS, do you know make model etc of these units and switches? Am interested in researching them a bit more.

BJ
made by sphere, i've searched the net before for them, in the end we had to get HQ to send us programming instructions, i'll see if i can find a bit more info at work

Simon

Dec 28, 2013
Melbourne
@DaveS , to be honest I saw it working on a single. Was shown utube clip with it fitted to a dual axle. I have made heaps of inquiries and no one has ever mentioned anything neg about it with the exception of the turning circle thing and to be reasonable with expectation with what it can do. I got the salesman to confirm install, which happens in manufacturing plant, and all was good.

I will double check this with Jayco now that you raise it.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
thanks @DaveS well they are not sure they fit with the new suspension at Jayco . When I talked to the guys at Purpleline when looking at the Avan they said one set only if not large van as the second will not fit with the door anyway. Supposed to do up to around 2,250 on a single or so specs said :) Avan was 1480 Starcraft is 200kg more. We probably not get them now, originally was thinking going in A frame first now we just making area bigger. We already gone way over budget with everything.
My friend who used to do interstate caravan moving said he come over for beer and show us how to reverse properly.

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
thanks @DaveS well they are not sure they fit with the new suspension at Jayco . When I talked to the guys at Purpleline when looking at the Avan they said one set only if not large van as the second will not fit with the door anyway. Supposed to do up to around 2,250 on a single or so specs said :) Avan was 1480 Starcraft is 200kg more. We probably not get them now, originally was thinking going in A frame first now we just making area bigger. We already gone way over budget with everything.
My friend who used to do interstate caravan moving said he come over for beer and show us how to reverse properly.
Hi
i'm not even sure you can have 2 sets on a van, as the unit goes back to a central controller (even have to keep all the cables the same length) and i don't know if you can link 2 controllers together to give you 4 driving wheels. On the van we did it was no good at all, he had a steep driveway and we took the van there to test it, it lost drive just going thru his gutter so we gave up then.

on the subject of reversing a handy hint for learners is to grip the bottom of steering wheel and watch the van, if you need to move the van left you move your hand left and vice versa, once you get used to it it's second nature .... speaking from someone who moves heaps each day with a tractor that you can't see down the side of the van :)

Reactions: Ren77

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
@DaveS thanks for the tip. We will head to a vacant car park for a hour or so once we get the van. Have to work out if I keep the D3 towing system or replace with a Mitch Hitch.. Just keep buying more and more crap gone way over budget.
I was looking at the purpleline ones they come in two or four motor no idea how they work. I was looking for them for a lighter van then they where rated which they said should help. Yes all the videos always look great and they can do everything..

Reactions: Simon

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
this customer was going to look at the purpleline, but we never heard back from him, so he either got it sorted or wiped out his carport :)

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
this customer was going to look at the purpleline, but we never heard back from him, so he either got it sorted or wiped out his carport :)
Or both :) he he took me a few calls to get someone to talk to. When we ordered the Starcraft they rang Jayco who said they where not putting them on the OB as yet. Hence I said bugger it just move the fence more.

Simon

Dec 28, 2013
Melbourne
@DaveS @davemc , I am told Jayco only fit the Reich Caravan Mover for twin leaf spring axles only at this stage and they do this at the factory.

Re issue with the rocker roller suspension moving apparently the low tech simple approach is to wedge a piece of timber between the leaf spring connector and the centre suspension mount which will stop it moving and maintain engagement of the roller.

This website is pretty informative on twin mover apps. Apparently they do the fit out for Jayco.

http://www.carsbyweb.com.au/eco/styled-2/index.html

The specific details of the mover are:

Reich eco mover twin with 2M stabilizer for twin axle with cross actuation kit.
Weight- 66kg
Current Consuption- 25A- Max 90A
Power Supply- 12V Batt 110Ah min
Drive- 12V Electric Motor driving friction rollers
Gradient- 15% based on caravan weight 2000 kg
Total Weight Caravan- Up to 3000 kg
Speed- 1 Kph

Last edited:

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
Interesting saw another 17.58-1 for sale this one has the spare on the rear. So maybe that's the extra length as mentioned before. Interesting both show vans and the one I saw up at Watsons had it in the drawbar. This one had the jerry can holder on the front would actually like storage basket instead like the Journey I saw.
image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited: