Drovers new Rig - "Big Mal"

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I like the bi fold but the cupboard is too hard to get at, its going to evolve into shelves or book rack, possibly a fancy wine rack but may be beyond my chippy talents, while the wheel arch will be boxed in and possibly end up being sort of a tray top/shelf for chucking phones/mags and laptop, all the junk that used to clutter up the table will end up there as table will be folded up possibly when watching TV ............

Day 2 :
Not much achieved, removed the small partition, plumbed an expert straight line to cut, then it all went to sh*t, turns out a vertical cut from top to bottom isn't a strong point of mine, thankfully I could sand back to the line, the wobbly bits were on the off cut................... experiments with patching all the holes in wall not a resounding success as the wall is coated with a plastic ripple type stuff, Bunnings have the panel I want but it won't fit in back of Jeep 2.4 x 1.2 and a 120km round trip in old HiLux isn't something to look forward to but may have to put my old Akubra on and rock on into town......... Whatever I do it certainly not going to end up with some tacky panels like some I have seen....... visitors arriving tomorrow so get back to it next week now....................

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Day ??? no idea:

1400 I downed tools, the reno on Big Mal completed, just slap a bit of varnish on the trim then give the whole rig a clean up, though still to get some mats for under the chairs near enough to job done for me........................... went and had a coffee then started on clearing up the shed which meant the Ute and Boat got a tubs as both were in shed and covered in saw dust, weather too crappy to stick them outside and Ute tray is the big workbench, 1630 saw it sorted and the fridge was open for business .....................
Ran the diesel heater to give the varnish a helping hand and see if it was happy with its new house, ran well with no suction howl, I made the intake so it would draw from van but also from within the box, added a small vent in side of box so air would be drawn from unit so it didn't overheat or create a low pressure zone in box, if the heater box gets too hot they will shut down, so all good, ............. Managed to use the original timber for covering the wheel arch in fact other than the lid on the heater box and a small bit of trim all original, the top of wheel arch being the usual paper laminated stuff I lacquered so anything left on the shelf won't wear the stuff off.... could be another mod there later............
Only a few small bits that needed any camo job which surprised me..

An inexpensive mod which has been on the drawing board for many years waiting to find some decent chairs, 2nd hand but near new chairs $350 and about $50 in just usual shed consumable supplies, glue, screws, paint. varnish etc .............. the paint on the wall is actually from my house internal wall stock, great match.......

If I was still working I wouldn't attempt this as it would have taken me 3 months at least and not turned out as good....... 6 day weeks are bad news.

Seat01.jpg Table folded , no curtains but doors removed from under table and turned into just shelf space (nozzle of heater not fitted sitting on top of house.

Table extended, nozzle fitted..............seat02.jpg.. trim not lacquered...

Chairs in position, mat for them to sit on is still coming.......seat03.jpg ... heater doesn't burn my feet off... now new curtains, aarrgghhh....

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Day ??? no idea:

1400 I downed tools, the reno on Big Mal completed, just slap a bit of varnish on the trim then give the whole rig a clean up, though still to get some mats for under the chairs near enough to job done for me........................... went and had a coffee then started on clearing up the shed which meant the Ute and Boat got a tubs as both were in shed and covered in saw dust, weather too crappy to stick them outside and Ute tray is the big workbench, 1630 saw it sorted and the fridge was open for business .....................
Ran the diesel heater to give the varnish a helping hand and see if it was happy with its new house, ran well with no suction howl, I made the intake so it would draw from van but also from within the box, added a small vent in side of box so air would be drawn from unit so it didn't overheat or create a low pressure zone in box, if the heater box gets too hot they will shut down, so all good, ............. Managed to use the original timber for covering the wheel arch in fact other than the lid on the heater box and a small bit of trim all original, the top of wheel arch being the usual paper laminated stuff I lacquered so anything left on the shelf won't wear the stuff off.... could be another mod there later............
Only a few small bits that needed any camo job which surprised me..

An inexpensive mod which has been on the drawing board for many years waiting to find some decent chairs, 2nd hand but near new chairs $350 and about $50 in just usual shed consumable supplies, glue, screws, paint. varnish etc .............. the paint on the wall is actually from my house internal wall stock, great match.......

If I was still working I wouldn't attempt this as it would have taken me 3 months at least and not turned out as good....... 6 day weeks are bad news.

View attachment 68649 Table folded , no curtains but doors removed from under table and turned into just shelf space (nozzle of heater not fitted sitting on top of house.

Table extended, nozzle fitted..............View attachment 68650.. trim not lacquered...

Chairs in position, mat for them to sit on is still coming.......View attachment 68651 ... heater doesn't burn my feet off... now new curtains, aarrgghhh....
Neat job Ian. You should be very happy with the cosmetics. Hopefully, your practical solutions in changing positions will meet your expectations. Well done!!!

Reactions: Drover

Hitting the road

Jan 14, 2022
Brisbane
Looks brilliant Drover...great job! I especially like the table between the chairs...biggest drawback with my setup is there is no room between the swivel chairs for a table of any sort. Couldn't even move them apart as the space they are in is just too small. My only solution would be to fit smaller chairs but doing that would only be too much of a compromise

.Inside2.jpg

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I like those chairs, Big Mal being 21 or 22 ft gives that little bit of extra room, though I was talked out of turning the cupboard thats behind the partition, it woould have then been against the wall and narrower allowing more swivel for front chair, not a hope of it getting done if someone changes their mind though............ my mate ( who is spewing as his cost him $1600) had to have his table narrowed....

Reactions: Hitting the road

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The JJOB is only in fact 17' so space is at a premium...

When we went to replace the 14.44 the idea was an 18footer, as we looked things stretched out a bit, more room in ensuite, ability to walk around bed and if spill anything on sink bed doesn't get drenched, hence a 22 ft rig, I look at it parked at home and think too bluddy big but when parked beside some creek or river for a few weeks, its just right bad weather or good, never feel enclosed....

Last edited:

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
When we went to replace the 14.44 the idea was an 18footer, as we looked things stretched out a bit, more room in ensuite, ability to walk around bed and if spill anything on sink bed doesn't get drenched, hence a 22 ft rig, I look at it parked at home and think too bluddy big but when parked beside some creek or river for a few weeks, its just right bad weather or good, never feel enclosed....
@Drover , the only way to go if you have the need, the funds and a place to park/store the larger unit, not to mention the need for a suitable tug!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
@Drover , the only way to go if you have the need, the funds and a place to park/store the larger unit, not to mention the need for a suitable tug!

One day perhaps :cool: in the meantime The Jeeperific and Big Mal will do until The RAM and 5th wheeler come along............... though as I get olderish, I'm leaning towards the Isuzu NPR with a Winnabago shed on the back and a small Fourby towed behind on trailer with boat rack....................
Maybe a dream but you never ever know..... might be a dream but sometimes they come true, always wanted to retire early and debt free, was a family joke until I did, none more surprised than me so I still dream.;)

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
That came up really well Ian, you make me feel lazy now, I'll get around to replacing the shot batter in the van one day, probably before my next trip lol

Want to go for a test run to see how things go, water and fuel will keep things close to home I fear .................

I have added seat belts for them, while many say sitting on a mat they won't move, the roads Chris and I travel are not often that considerate... hard braking for Beasts/Roo's and idiots , idiots being very common the belts should mean no surprises when I open the door.... simple velcro to floor bracket and side release buckle cinched up for tension... Hopefully no sore neck and the ability to snooze in front of the TV in comfort........

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
I just took my mates V6 Navara and his brand new caravan to Coolah and back for his daughter’s wedding he had a mild stroke a week before and isn’t allowed to drive for 4 weeks. We refuelled at Moonie on the way home, I stayed in the car ringing caravan parks and little did I know his not so lovely partner went into the van to use the toilet. Anyway he got back in so away we went, a few kilometres down the road he turned around to ask her something and said she’s not there she’s still in the van lol. I felt a bit bad at first but when she came out of the van with a head of steam I lost it Bahahaha long story short a few days later I asked how it road and she mumbled pretty good actually I said in that case she should’ve lay on the bed and had a sleep !!! True story this was last Monday I’m still laughing

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
I just took my mates V6 Navara and his brand new caravan to Coolah and back for his daughter’s wedding he had a mild stroke a week before and isn’t allowed to drive for 4 weeks. We refuelled at Moonie on the way home, I stayed in the car ringing caravan parks and little did I know his not so lovely partner went into the van to use the toilet. Anyway he got back in so away we went, a few kilometres down the road he turned around to ask her something and said she’s not there she’s still in the van lol. I felt a bit bad at first but when she came out of the van with a head of steam I lost it Bahahaha long story short a few days later I asked how it road and she mumbled pretty good actually I said in that case she should’ve lay on the bed and had a sleep !!! True story this was last Monday I’m still laughing
hahaha thats a classic

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
I have often wondered what it would be like to travel in the van while someone was towing it.
might be a bit noisy because of the wind I guess but would still like to try it.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
On purpose, or by design???

I'm still alive so not guilty on that one, though nearly left a kid behind.
I have often wondered what it would be like to travel in the van while someone was towing it.
might be a bit noisy because of the wind I guess but would still like to try it.
When you do I think we would all like to watch the video.