Drawbar modifications

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
This post is a few good months old now, but I was interested in the wash up of this toolbox on the drawbar.
Has it worked as you wanted it to?
Would you change anything?
Can you access the toolbox when the bed is down?
How does this work with the spare tyre?

Rowdman

Mar 14, 2011
Gday Brad,

Well I went off the "tool box on the draw bar idea" as I thought there just wasnt enough room to open the lid with the bed down.

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
I did this

newvan2.jpg

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Iam looking at toolbox currently. I want a front opening box for when the bed is down. Custom box is an option but the cost is prohibitive. I have found a ute box I can modify and there is two lengths avaiable, 1200 and 1400. They will sit 500mm forward of the gas bottle. Problem is I have never noticed how close the rear of he tug gets to drawerbar in a tight cornering situation. I do have the extended drawerbar and backing isnt a issue as you will jack knife before touching the box but forward manovering.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I have thought of a tool box but was wondering what do you do when you need the spare??

Its a full removal of the toolbox before getting to the spare....

I am going to stand mine up vertically behind the toolbox. it will be resting on the base it uses now and strapped back against the back of the toolbox. thats the plan so far.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Not sure if I posted these photos before, but I took these several months ago with the view of having something similar made up for my spare
as I also want to re-locate the gas bottle and fit a toolbox across the front.
This was done to a new van on sale near me, but can't remember the brand. The van is an Expanda type with full roof, not pop-top.
This will also allow the removal of the support bars under the A frame for greater clearance.
Looks easy and simple enough to make (but I've never welded, so would need to pay someone to do it)

Cheers,
Matty
e6bcd1ea.jpg
c3cc5210.jpg
d080c4c1.jpg

Reactions: Capt. Gadget

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Thanks Matty I was looking at ideas for moving my spare to the back, was going to the caravan & camping show in Perth this weekend to get a few Ideas . I have plans to build a new rear bumper for mine as the standard one docent look like it would be strong enough to support a spare
Cheers Grant

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Looks good, Matty. Would love to do something like this but my numberplate sits smack in the middle and would be covered by the wheel. Am contemplating stnding the wheel upright behind my stone guard and putting some mesh over the wheel support to carry hoses etc.

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
tyre rack 004.jpgvan 006.jpgvan 001.jpgvan 003.jpgvan 002.jpg

Heres a few shots of our setup a large ally box up front with the bottles mounted inside still has room for all sorts of crap that you need also the drop down rear wheel carrier which i stole the idea off of a windsor rapid

cheers Russell

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Looks good, Matty. Would love to do something like this but my numberplate sits smack in the middle and would be covered by the wheel. Am contemplating stnding the wheel upright behind my stone guard and putting some mesh over the wheel support to carry hoses etc.
If you look closely at the first pic there is a piece of chequerplate to the right that is used to mount the numberplate to. Just rewire the light and all good.

Looks good Russell, that's what I think I will do, but either get a wider box to keep the gas in or same size box but mount the gas on the outside of the box.
I want to be able to fit long stuff like camp chairs in it.

Cheers,
Matty

drewy

May 29, 2011
South East Melbourne
Iam looking at toolbox currently. I want a front opening box for when the bed is down. Custom box is an option but the cost is prohibitive. I have found a ute box I can modify and there is two lengths avaiable, 1200 and 1400. They will sit 500mm forward of the gas bottle. Problem is I have never noticed how close the rear of he tug gets to drawerbar in a tight cornering situation. I do have the extended drawerbar and backing isnt a issue as you will jack knife before touching the box but forward manovering.
Hi Jim,

I've mounted a front opening box on my Expanda, I also have the extended draw bar which alows me to still open the Pajeros rear door completely. I had to spread the gas bottles out by 50mm each as the box is 900mm wide, they can make the box as small or as wide as you want, it cost about $300. I manage to fit my Baby Q, hoses, annex mat, lead and a few other odd bits in, works well.

new caravan 223.JPG

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Thanks Drew

So that's a custom box? And your spare still lives in th same spot?

Slater

Mar 10, 2012
Collaroy
mfexpanda

I am just checking out your drawbar toolbox and it is easily the best set up I have seen. I own a 2011 OB 16.49-2 and am assuming its the same drawbar dimensions.

Can i ask what the dimensions on your tool box are, and was it custom made by Rhino?

From what I can see by your photo you have tilted the tool box slightly to accomodate the spare tyre.....is it just a case of undoing a few bolts to remove the box and then access the tyre?

Thanks for your assistance

regards

Slater

drewy

May 29, 2011
South East Melbourne
Thanks Drew

So that's a custom box? And your spare still lives in th same spot?

It was a standard style of box made by Austrone tool boxes and trailers in Dandenong Vic, they make their boxes to order so I was able to adjust the dimensions to suit. The spare still lives in the same spot, if you can see under the box I've installed some spacers to clear the tyre. To get the spare out it's a matter of removing 6 wing nuts inside the box and the box is free.

jeffa32

Mar 28, 2012
Drewy

I really like this set up for the gas and tool box. We have a 17.56-1 on order. Do you have the extended draw bar ? Are the gas bottle fixings standard? Did the tool box company fit this for you?

Cheers

Jeff
Hi Jim,

I've mounted a front opening box on my Expanda, I also have the extended draw bar which alows me to still open the Pajeros rear door completely. I had to spread the gas bottles out by 50mm each as the box is 900mm wide, they can make the box as small or as wide as you want, it cost about $300. I manage to fit my Baby Q, hoses, annex mat, lead and a few other odd bits in, works well.

View attachment 6816

drewy

May 29, 2011
South East Melbourne
Drewy

I really like this set up for the gas and tool box. We have a 17.56-1 on order. Do you have the extended draw bar ? Are the gas bottle fixings standard? Did the tool box company fit this for you?

Cheers

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Yeah we have the 300mm extended draw bar, the gas bottle fixings are all the original ones. They are now mounted on a thick plate that allowed me to move them out 50mm each, the plates also became the base to weld the box base frame to. I did do the mounting work myself but most small steel fabricators could do this kind of mod for you if you needed help. The best part of this box is the ability to be able to access the contents when the bed is up or down.

Cheers,
Andrew