17' Series Diesel heaters

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Would fitting a steel or alloy flat plate over a 100mm D cutout work as a mounting plate? -- ie would the collar be vital to protect the plywood cutout from radiant heat?
I'm not sure the collar makes a huge amount of difference for protection from radiant heat.

The exhaust is the hottest component, and you could easily insulate that if you were concerned about heat.

Provided you have sufficient clearance between the plywood floor and the exhaust it should be ok. Instead of a D I'd still do a 100mm circle.

Reactions: alexvk2

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
You have to remember that you still need to fit the pipes exhaust and inlet and get at the clamps without the floor getting in the way.

Reactions: Bellbirdweb

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Even though there is a rubber gasket between the heater and the plate? The mounting plate also is bolted to the ply floor .. how hot can it get?
I must admit, I've never felt the plate after the heater has been on for a while.

But @Crusty181 has me intrigued now, so I'll check it out when I'm running the heater next in a couple of weeks.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Even though there is a rubber gasket between the heater and the plate? The mounting plate also is bolted to the ply floor .. how hot can it get?
Im not sure if its the heater itself or the exhaust causing the plate to heat up, but i was a little disturbed by the heat in the plate the first time i touched it

alexvk2

Nov 30, 2016
Sydney
Im not sure if its the heater itself or the exhaust causing the plate to heat up, but i was a little disturbed by the heat in the plate the first time i touched it
Have just completed the install ...plate does get hot can touch it but not much more ..may get even hotter in very cold conditions when running on high..my plate is home made from 2mm alloy plate.
The instructions are not very clear and require a bit of checking and double checking ...too many wires to cover all kinds of installations! ..for me anyway.
Thanks all for advice ...here are some pics of my install 14.44.5 OB.

Attachments

• 15042322595710.jpg
    15042322595710.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 287
  • 15042323195112.jpg
    15042323195112.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 284
  • 15042323439263.jpg
    15042323439263.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 308
  • 15042323766324.jpg
    15042323766324.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 313
  • 15043069477420.jpg
    15043069477420.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 259

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Have just completed the install ...plate does get hot can touch it but not much more ..may get even hotter in very cold conditions when running on high..my plate is home made from 2mm alloy plate.
The instructions are not very clear and require a bit of checking and double checking ...too many wires to cover all kinds of installations! ..for me anyway.
Thanks all for advice ...here are some pics of my install 14.44.5 OB.
I know what you mean about the instructions.

Lots of tiny diagrams that are really confusing.

Took me ages to wire up and get the remote working due to the confusion they call instructions.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
NIce tidy set up, I hope those batteries are AGM or GEL, I would put a cover over the fuel tank, in a year or so a stray rock could destroy it.

alexvk2

Nov 30, 2016
Sydney
NIce tidy set up, I hope those batteries are AGM or GEL, I would put a cover over the fuel tank, in a year or so a stray rock could destroy it.
Yes AGM .. I am planning an alloy plate around the tank even though the Stone Stomper seems very effective at suppressing all that's thrown at it . Photo taken just after the great relief of the heater firing up for the first time and working perfectly .... looks like another D2 raving fan has been born. Last winter's trip around central Oz with sub zero temps is what prompted me to do the install...looking forward to braving the elements with the Eberspacher!

alexvk2

Nov 30, 2016
Sydney
@alexvk2 I put a d2 in our 14.44-4 I wouldn't want the outlet directly at a leg as it pumps out pretty hot air when needed. If you were to make note of where you sit and have it slightly away it should be fine. Ours being the bunk model I put it next to the drawer on the lower bunk and it works well as it is directed up the guts of the van. Another place I was thinking was under the dinette seat but the ducting going into the front tunnel boot and straight out in between the bench seat and the door (wood panel under main bed) so I would consider that too. Should be easy enough and you wouldn't lose much room in the tunnel area.
That's a good idea ..but my 2nd spare wheel is under that spot so I've put it under the rear settee with the outlet facing to the rear ..so much warm air in a small space works well ...figured I could duct it back around under the table in future if needed and cover outlet with a vent cover BTW what did you do about the inlet ?

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Yes AGM .. I am planning an alloy plate around the tank even though the Stone Stomper seems very effective at suppressing all that's thrown at it . Photo taken just after the great relief of the heater firing up for the first time and working perfectly .... looks like another D2 raving fan has been born. Last winter's trip around central Oz with sub zero temps is what prompted me to do the install...looking forward to braving the elements with the Eberspacher!
Free camping with a diesel (or gas) heater is a different camping experience all together; being able to head off the grid comfortably in cold weather is pretty awesome. Chuck in some Sat TV, a Weber, and a hot shower and there's not too much else you could need.

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
That's a good idea ..but my 2nd spare wheel is under that spot so I've put it under the rear settee with the outlet facing to the rear ..so much warm air in a small space works well ...figured I could duct it back around under the table in future if needed and cover outlet with a vent cover BTW what did you do about the inlet ?

Our inlet just draws air from the cavity its in, no extra ducting. Only time its an issue is when I open the door to this area (to get webber accessories out while cooking) and cold air rushes in and the heater will momentarily go harder as it thinks the room temp has dropped. After one minute with door closed again it all equalizes and goes back to normal. There is a pic of the install on the link in my signature showing no duct on the inlet and that's how it will stay.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Much the same as @JT76, no duct on the inlet but I fitted a small round vent above the Setec at the other end of the club lounge so if the heater needs to breath better, the air the heater removes from under the couch will just be replaced via the vent at the other end of the club lounge.