Cybertruck 2022

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I love John Cadogan, but he's probably an acquired taste for a lot of folk. One thing's certain, rarely if ever does anyone land a blow on him and his unique vitriol would have absolutely landed him in litigation many times over if his opinions didn't stand up. This video from his website is a great pull-apart of the hype, deflection and information transparency blackhole that applies to the EV debate. I found it quite enlightening ... but as always very theatrical and entertaining.

Tiny snippet of background, the real world specs of the vehicle in question didn't live up to anywhere close to the advertised promises either the owner claimed. Theres some light reading about the topic on the website

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Well I was wrong the new Landcrusier 300 series was not a hybrid and not petrol. However, there are serious Toyota supply issues, dealers have some usually high end and expensive and not for sale. Also the Tesla Cybertruck is looking more like 2023 not 2022 in Australia.

I recently had a look at a LC300 (did not get a chance to drive). The hybrid version will most likely be in series 2 release of the LC300 in about 2 yrs. The V6 diesel according to the service manager at the dealer is very responsive and blends well with the new auto gear box especially at low speeds so that bodes well for towing. Now for the bad Toyota news if you order a LC300 now it is a minimum 10 months wait if no more delays, so that puts it late 2022 possibly 2023.

So if you have a LC200, even though they are worth a lot on the second hand market, hang on to it. There is no Toyota LC300 replacements till end of 2022. Ordering now you will also have no opportunity to see how the new V6 will perform in Australia with our poor quality fuels and dusty roads.

However, the news for electric trucks is looking better, there are now 3 players in that space now (with more coming) probably with delivery into Australia in 2023/2024.

This video is a review of the Rivian, F150 and Cybertruck by a person who has actually been in all three.

This is an interview about Electric Trucks by Sandy Munro who is very knowledgable and talks bit about towing with Electric trucks.

Hope you are all well and coping with Covid isolation.

Regards
Terry

PS Even though we are both double vaccinated (soon triple vaccinated) we are isolating and social distancing to protect vulnerable family, friends and relatives. So have only done 1 very short trip (to Menidee Lakes) in the last two years, hence no posts. Hopefully some more trips next year.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
My next vehicle purchase was probably only built 1 year ago so doubt I will worry about a scalextric job.

Reactions: yabbietol

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Hello Drover, I have seen a review of a Plug in Hybrid Electric Jeep Wrangler (out now in the US) by Sandy Munro.
Here is there video

So far as I understand it Jeep has no plans for Wrangler release in Australia, but maybe the Cherokee?
So you might end up with an EV eventually (or Plug in Hybrid).

A photo of the very full Menindee Lakes from our Campsite in May 2021 first time we had seen it with water in it to overflowing.
Should have put it at bottom of my above post.

Menidee lakes sunset.jpeg

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Ive been toey to get down there all year .........................

Ive seen that fella before, I like him because he has a similar outlook on things as me, can't see the need for lots of the BS in vehicles now...... be nice if they come out with a functional proper Fourby that you can load up and go off bush like you can in your Cruiser or Nissan not just the little picnic runs that happen now, it will happen but EV, Hydrogen aren't there yet, until they have the ability to extend the range like with a Jerry can or something Hybrid may be the only option, its all about the range, Majority of folk tootling in the city or just touring between motels and van parks, be good but for those that don't see a power pole for many hundreds of kms let alone a garage they haven't got it covered yet, one day it will happen....

Had a laugh with a fella last time I was watching a floater at Mudlo as a he said imagine if that was an EV, we were thinking a Big Fizz in the sea......

Pricing will be way beyond me and a second hand one would be a maintenance nightmare I think.... buy shares in a tow truck.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Freaks me out clean electric cars I'm told are dirtier to make than my cruiser also powered by Cole we need nuke power and stop burning Cole while we burn Cole electric cars make no sense I'm no expert just my thoughts

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Freaks me out clean electric cars I'm told are dirtier to make than my cruiser also powered by Cole we need nuke power and stop burning Cole while we burn Cole electric cars make no sense I'm no expert just my thoughts

Like all these things its all about how you spin the figures and both sides of the argument slant them their way, the EV and the Water Gasmobiles will still require holes in the ground, still require enormous amounts of power to construct along with a whole new industry to deconstruct and its all got a long way to go before they become the norm, most of the views are city centric and we will need some Nukes to carry the load at some point ............. We have a huge solar farm going up not far away and the Greens are bleating about it and a wind farm now, can't please 'em............ Fossil fuels will be around for yonks yet....... give me an EV that will tow my rig 800kms plus running with AC or heater going and have a viable ability to recharge without a main grid source thats able to get wet and is not going to need me to mortage my house and will last for a good 6 years and still be tradable.... also needs to be able to fully charge up in time it takes to make a coffee.......

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
The embedded energy in making EV's and Internal Combustion Engined (ICE) vehicles is similar and varies widely. It depends on many factors, such as country of manufacture, size and materials used. The big difference is in energy required for the life of the vehicle. The article below talks about the issue you raise about manufacturing @Bluey. Overall EV's are much better for environment than ICE vehicles even if the grid is powered by fossil fuels, this advantage for Ev's improves as the grid becomes cleaner with more renewables, like is occurring in Australia for solid economic reasons. Most EV owners charge their vehicles when electricity is cheap and many use solar on weekends (if commuting) and during the day if retired.

life-cycle-emissions-of-electric-cars-are-fraction-of-fossil-fuelled-vehicles

I will ignore the obvious emotion @Drover in your above post, we all fear change. I will point you to a very interesting video by Tony Seba about the great disruption we are going through in Transport. if you do not want to watch the whole video, just have a look at the first couple of minutes where Tony shows 2 photos of New York 13 years apart showing the change from horses to cars. We are in the first part of similar disruption as we move from Internal Combustion Engines (ICE) and imported Saudi Arabian fuel to Electric Vehicles (EV's) and our own Australian made fuel (Renewable Electricity).

Anti Nuclear Rave below - Please do not read if you do not want:

I now digress, nuclear power is not necessary in Australia. We have lots of sunshine and wind. We have yet to build the planned offshore wind generators (Star of the South will be the first) along the eastern seaboard which will become a major generator of renewable power. We also have yet to upgrade the national grid to handle the change to renewables. tThese things are happening despite lack of Federal Government Policy, NSW has already started in a big way.

Coal and gas power were once the best technology for power generation, but they are no longer. In NSW we built power stations last century on top of coal mines and provided cheap coal, these contracts have now run out and the price of coal is going up. No one will build coal or gas power stations in Australia without massive taxpayer subsidies. Fortunately, Australia has the highest rate of home solar in the world and an increasing level of home battery storage. Renewables will make up much more of grid power over the next 10 yrs as coal generators shut down. Gas has a very limited future as a short term bridging technology. In South Australia the gas peaking generators are been used less and less and in the next few yrs will be no longer needed as battery storage and associated renewables increase, SA now has no coal generators and in a few yrs soon no gas generation

Nuclear power has no place in Australia for power generation as nuclear reactors are uninsurable (in the US Gov insures all nuclear reactors by limiting their liability to $US10B) the power they generate is the most expensive power produced for electricity grids world wide and no successful safe decommissioning of a nuclear reactor has yet to occur anywhere in the world. The decommissioning costs of existing reactors will be born by the taxpayer and no safe storage for high level nuclear waste occurs anywhere. The only countries that use a lot of nuclear power are countries that need nuclear reactors for nuclear weapons and the nuclear industry is heavily subsidised and even their nuclear power is very expensive. Hinkley Nuclear reactor in the UK when finished will provide the most expensive power in the UK. Nuclear weapon proliferation is a serious threat to us all.

Reactions: PeterV

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Sorry you feel that way @Bluey

It is currently raining where I live in SE NSW and has been raining for three days my house solar panels (11kW) have run my house and charged my house battery (10kWh) without grid power, unfortunately we have not exported grid to the power like we usually do on most days. Solar panels even work on cloudy days (not as well as in full sun, but still work). We export enough power to not have paid an electricity bill since 2008 and generally get paid about $1000 per year for our exported power. We are very fortunate, but it took several years of saving to afford to build our solar and battery system, and it has mostly paid for itself and gives us energy security in bushfires and blackouts. Renewables are great.

Australia is the sunniest and windiest inhabitalbe continent (not as windy as Antartica).

The sun always shines somewhere during day time at multiple places in the area covered by the National Electric Grid. The wind blows a lot in Australia and once we get multiple planned offshore wind farms built (especially in Bass Strait) we will have more than enough wind power, the winds always blows somewhere in Eastern Australia. Also battery power can fill short gaps and hydro from Tassie and the Snowy combined with smaller pumped hydro (pumped by renewables) can give use much more reliable cheaper power than coal (note photo of recent explosion at Callide coal power station).

1636785882812.png

Beyond Zero Emissions developed this plan in 2010 when renewables were much more expensive. I use to get my students to download this plan and analyse and critique it. I did not have one student in years of teaching Environmental Science not be impressed by this plan. The Australian people have come a long way since 2010 in keenly adopting new renewable technologies. Australia has 3 GW of rooftop solar which is 2x more than Callide coal power station, with much lower cost electricity with higher reliability and availability and few transmission losses. Solar panels have dropped in cost as are batteries while coal, nuclear and gas keep going up in price. The rapid adoption of EV's is already underway, Tesla sold more Model 3 EV's than Toyota sold Camry's in Australia in 2021. The same will happen in the next few years with 4WD EVs.

Please do not get angry @Bluey and @Drover we are undergoing a big change in Australia and there is a lot of misinformation out there, I use to teach Environmental Science and learnt a lot about how fast the world changes often from my students. The world we grew up in has been replaced by a different world and we all can try we can make it better for everyone. There are greedy wealthy people and companies out there who pay no tax and exploit Australians and Australian resources. We need to think hard about who we vote for and who are their donors and sponsors.

Regards
Terry

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I will ignore the obvious emotion @Drover in your above post, we all fear change.

Sorry I missed that, no emotion just Facts, the world I grew up in was and still is one of constant change and I follow it... as I said when they can build a reliable vehicle that suits my needs I'm good, so long as I don;t have to wait hours to refuel.............
I am very interested in the implementation of the system to support all this, at present any infrastruture outside cities is poor.

Last edited:

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
Being an auto electrician for 48 years I’d buy an EV in a heartbeat if it would do what I want, the new Jeep 4 x e has me really interested BUT I can’t justify the funds so I’m looking at another fossil fuel burner with a difference I just need to find the right one. If I was still working I would have a EV for traveling from the sunny coast to Brisbane for sure I did that drive fo around 18 years and spent thousands on petrol

rags

Sorry I missed that, no emotion just Facts, the world I grew up in was and still is one of constant change and I follow it... as I said when they can build a reliable vehicle that suits my needs I'm good, so long as I don;t have to wait hours to refuel.............
I am very interested in the implementation of the system to support all this, at present any infrastruture outside cities is poor.
I will be happy to have an EV car as my run around commuter car but I’m with you @Drover, I fail to see how the experts will be able to deliver a comprehensive recharging facility that will replicate and ultimately replace what a service station currently delivers with multiple bowsers on the service station forecourt that can recharge multiple vehicle in under 10 minutes. Might seem easy at this moment with a low uptake of EV cars and typically no delay for the car to recharge in front of the next car but in future with more EV cars on the road the demand will become. Couple that with the EV chargers being able to accomodate a car towing a trailer. Everyone I have seen to date is merely a parking bay that will be unsuitable for cars with trailers.

It makes me laugh when I see governments looking to mandate that in future all newly built houses will require an EV charging point in every home garage. I would suggest they should put the charge point out by the letter box as no bugger can park in their undersized double garage these days as either the car doesn’t fit or the garage is full of ‘stuff’

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
It makes me laugh when I see governments looking to mandate that in future all newly built houses will require an EV charging point in every home garage

I laughed about that as well but I think it would be more like a common connector to plug a charging unit into, I couldn't imagine companies agreeing to a set charging unit besides tech changes that much be redundant quickly................................

The whole thing is academic anyway, never be able to afford one that will fill my needs if one ever gets built..... but for city folk be just the answer....

Oh @yabbietol you might want to take the blinkers off and read my earlier post again, if you did, I wasn't knocking Ev's at all, just putting a real world perspective to it. You will also find I embrace lots of tech, I even fix my kids computers as well as vehicles.

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
the new Jeep 4 x e has me really interested

Yep agree @DRW I did look forward to reading about the Grand 4xe but range and tow cap is a bit of a downer sadly .................... a RAM with hyrodgen power something good for out in the sticks as a sole EV would be a worry.

Reactions: DRW

Grandpa Gunna

Dec 29, 2020
Northern Tablelands NSW
I use to get my students to download this plan and analyse and critique it. I did not have one student in years of teaching Environmental Science not be impressed by this plan.
Were they critiquing the data /science or the presentation of the plan?

I don't have a uni degree to understand most of the the report but do understand that unfortunately we live in a country that is limited by economic size/scale
(demise of car manufacturing etc) and as such are always going to be at the mercy of foreign capital.
Follow the "MONEY".

We as a country have never paid the true cost of energy as subsidies have always protected us. This will apply to the future as well.
As I try to teach the grand kids, nothing in this world is free, some one has to pay.

The future looks like "Virtual Holidays". Stay at home and put goggles on and take the family tour on a screen.
No thank you.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Sorry for all the angst, enjoy caravanning.

bye for now
No angst here, a very topical topic, many diverse views and numerous ideas, a topic that the outcome is in the future and is something to follow to see what it holds, the outcomes are really unknown.... Keep rolling on on it Terry, its the future.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
I'm not angry by any means #yabbietol and I hope your still talking to us you haven't caused me any angst by for now have you left us ??? Hope not
I'm just a realistic person I'd getva battery for my 5 kw solar system I've had fr years as well tomoz but the price is outrageous .....
They have just had world meetings about Cole but couldn't agree to say faze out they chose faze down we are truly screwed in time
Again I'm not angry at all
We all have different views here and we don't get upset about it