Compliance plates

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Here's my plate, 89kg ball weight empty ? lol. So tempting to get a scale and just see. I find it interesting that everyone seems to have 235 tyres on 6'' rims where my references say a 7" rim is minimum.

IMG_20150113_091016.jpg

Last edited:

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
17.51-2 HL OB, Work n Play.
Factory fitted options were quite a few but as far as weighty ones go it was the reverse cycle aircond, 2 solar panels and a 2nd battery. Other and weighty changes were done through the Dealer.

I'm learning something here, mainly that our Compliance Plate is wrong.

Drover, your comment about 6" rims had me wondering about ours. The Plate also states that it has 6" rims but is fitted with 245/70R16 tyres.
WnP plate.jpg

This seemed wrong to me so I removed the spare from under the rear today and the rim is definitely much bigger than that and is born out by the markings on the inside. Plate should show 8JJX16.
WnP rim1.jpg

Might have to think about talking to Jayco and the Motor Vehicle Registry up here to see if it's required for the Plate to be updated.

Reactions: Drover and Delano

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
That plate also has a max tyre pressure of 29psi which I would hazard a guess at being a tad low. At least the rims match the tyres which is good but that plare is totally wrong.
My little rig at least has a max pressure of 58 psi which doesnt match the correct tyre load anyway.

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
That plate also has a max tyre pressure of 29psi which I would hazard a guess at being a tad low. At least the rims match the tyres which is good but that plare is totally wrong.
My little rig at least has a max pressure of 58 psi which doesnt match the correct tyre load anyway.
Here are the shots of the tire info. With the van being tandem axle I guess that with the load spread between 4 tyres that they think it is the appropriate pressure as the tyres have an absolute max of 49psi. I also think that their 29psi would leave the tyre sidewalls a bit soft. Maybe the van is a bit over tyred but these were fitted as a result of declining the request of having the van wheels matching the Ranger and Jayco offered these as their closest alternative. I'll use the tyre monitoring system and get an idea of temperatures on the next trip and experiment a bit. Would like to see who else has tyres this size and what their Compliance Plates say.

WnP tire info 1.JPG

WnP tire info 2.JPG

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The rule of thumb which has worked for me pretty well for years is pick the pressure and if after a run the pressure increases by around 4 psi then thats the pressure you should have any more, too low or less than 4 then too high.
I would guess a 2 ton with 4 wheels say 36psi for starters......................
Thats how we did it in the anologue world. Digital world probably has a phone app for it........lol,lol.

Be interesting what DoT says, I suppose if I change springs and rims I should look into it also but then nobody seems to check that the plate is correct when complianced.

Reactions: Capt. Gadget

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Interesting that my 21 shows a maximum cold pressure of 345kPa (50 psi).

Because I run pressure sensors I can see what's happening with them on the road.

I usually run 40 psi. cold in the van an 50 in the cruiser.

The highest I saw the van tyres get was 48 hot, and 60 hot in the car.

Highest temperature was 73c in the rear tyres when in was 40 outside.

I don't think I'd like to be a tyre :)

Reactions: dagree and Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Actually the pressures on the compliance plate would always be wrong since it would depend on the tyres fitted/load rating and pressures required for that type of tyre.

Reactions: Bellbirdweb

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I finally remembered to get a pic of my Journey's plate.
DSC_8710 1.jpg

The "Rim Size/ Profile" does not match the tyre size so I guess a new plate is required. I removed the spare and photographed the markings on the rear of the wheel.
DSC_8712 1.jpg
DSC_8715 1.jpg

I think this one reads 1100 Kg and presume it is the load capacity of the wheel.
DSC_8716 1.jpg

This appears to be manufacture date.
DSC_8717 1.jpg

I have no idea what this one means.:noidea:
It also had a "Made in Thailand" cast as well.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Surprise, surprise, surprise (in Gomers voice), 16" rim 8" wide, ET O = zero offset, load rate 1100kg, the other stuff no idea but man date sounds right as mine has a 9 and 10.

Reactions: chartrock

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
Chartrock, I'm confused. Your Journey is mostly similar to our WnP in dimensions and weights so unless you have only a single axle I can't fathom out why they would specify tyre pressures so much higher than ours. Or is the mistake the other way around?

Fast looking like Jayco make up the Compliance Plate sight unseen and by guesswork. From memory there was another WnP on the Forum that had a greater problem with the Plate in that it was 600Kg too low in it's ATM, which just happened to be the Payload capacity.
Found it, comment #10
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/work-n-play-mods.3280/
No picture of Plate though.

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
45 - 50 psi very interesting...................I wonder what the tyre likes ??????? I think ignore compliance plate all together, probably why when you get rego compliance done all they look at is the chassis number.

Reactions: Bellbirdweb

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Chartrock, I'm confused. Your Journey is mostly similar to our WnP in dimensions and weights so unless you have only a single axle I can't fathom out why they would specify tyre pressures so much higher than ours. Or is the mistake the other way around?

Fast looking like Jayco make up the Compliance Plate sight unseen and by guesswork. From memory there was another WnP on the Forum that had a greater problem with the Plate in that it was 600Kg too low in it's ATM, which just happened to be the Payload capacity.
Found it, comment #10
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/work-n-play-mods.3280/
No picture of Plate though.

Our pressures on the 21 are the same, cold max of 345kPa. I tend to run them at 275kPa (40psi) cold

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
@PhilD, I think maybe your plate could be wrong as the 170 kpa it equates to about 25 psi which I think is too low for a van, single or dual axle. The Journey at 310 kpa equates to about 45 psi which is pretty firm but is about what I used in the single axle 14'.

Maybe somebody else with a WnP could post a pic of their compliance plate.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Did you ever followup the compliance plate @chartrock .?
Yes mate, I hounded the dealer and eventually two weeks back after another phone call I was told the salesman had it in his desk but was away sick. I was going to Brisbane to get my bullbar so I detoured to the dealer and picked it up. I had to hand over the old one before they would give me the new one. It was a pig to remove as it had been fitted with those non-removable screws. I managed to remove the four screws with pliers and a number of magic words and the new one is fitted.

Reactions: dagree and Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well thats good, checked the real weather reports and the way north doesn't sound as bad as the TV is predicting, as usual.

Reactions: chartrock

speedygp

Jan 29, 2014
Canberra
Hi all, I`m trying to work out exactly what model our Expanda is, attached is a couple of pics, one of the van itself and the other an enhanced pic of the compliance plate which lists the model as a 57.37-2 ? Yes it`s definitely 57, and looks unaltered.
Any advice , hints etc appreciated, next job is for me to check out the setec unit and see if I have a battery fitted (unlikely?) and follow Forum threads on how to fit one.
Thanks Greg

Attachments

• IMG_1838.JPG
    IMG_1838.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 345
  • jayco compliance enhanced detail compliance plate.jpg
    jayco compliance enhanced detail compliance plate.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 373

speedygp

Jan 29, 2014
Canberra
Fantastic, thanks chartrock, yes looks like it`s a 12.37-2 alright, only a few numbers out!!!!
Thanks for your help! Now onto solar, already have picked up some good tips on the setec unit, I`ll get into it on the weekend and see where i can fit the battery.