Compliance plates

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
There has been a lot of requests for information on compliance plates lately so I thought we could start a thread where members could post a photo of their compliance plate (with the VIN blocked out if required). Just put the model number at the beginning of the post and that should provide a search point for members to check listed plates, the more members who post their plate pictures, the greater will be the reference base.

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Maybe include what "extras" you had installed from factory over and above the norm so as to also have an idea if stock standard or a few extra goodies included in the weight.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
14-44-3 expanda Outback
DSC_2559 - Copy.JPG

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Here is the trailer compliance plate from the 18.55-3 Starcraft Outback which we did not pick up on the 20th of December 2104.
Note, the Empty Ball Mass of 263Kg which is not legal for a Prado or Pajero to tow in NSW (have checked with NRMA insurance and RMS technical advice area). We expected a tow ball weight of 175Kg from advice before we ordered.

A couple of other interesting points are the ATM is also over 2.5t and Tare not shown.
Caravan compliance plate.JPG

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Here's our compliance plate. If you look at the ATM weight this was one of the reasons we bought off the floor and not ordered another van with the J-Tech suspension. 68 more Kilo's and we would have been up for an upgrade for the Prado as well.

Salesman warned us about the possible differences in catalogue and actual weights. (If I hadn't known him for over 10 years I would have said "Yeah typical salesman BS to move the van!!!!!") but after reading @yabbietol and others issues I see he was correct!

Compliance Plate.JPG

Reactions: skippy

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Now I'm even more confused @dagree I thought it was GTM that was the Max your vehicle could tow, as my ATM is 2055 which would put me over the 2 tonne mark which means I should have break away brakes but the van wasn't supplied with them

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Looks like you might be off to tralier parts this weekend @Capt. Gadget :behindsofa:
Nup all good @skippy bit of research just saved me a few bucks this excerpt from the dept of infrastructure on building small trailers

For trailers up 2 tonnes GTM, an efficient braking system is considered to have brakes operating on the wheels of at least one axle. Over-run brakes may only be used on trailers that do not exceed 2 tonnes GTM.

Every trailer over 2 tonnes GTM must have brakes operating on all wheels. The brake system must cause immediate application of the trailer brakes in the event of the trailer becoming detached from the towing vehicle. Under these circumstances, the brakes must remain applied for at least 15 minutes.

It says GTM so i'm under pheeew!

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
Nup all good @skippy bit of research just saved me a few bucks this excerpt from the dept of infrastructure on building small trailers

For trailers up 2 tonnes GTM, an efficient braking system is considered to have brakes operating on the wheels of at least one axle. Over-run brakes may only be used on trailers that do not exceed 2 tonnes GTM.

Every trailer over 2 tonnes GTM must have brakes operating on all wheels. The brake system must cause immediate application of the trailer brakes in the event of the trailer becoming detached from the towing vehicle. Under these circumstances, the brakes must remain applied for at least 15 minutes.

It says GTM so i'm under pheeew!

Wow good pick up Capt Gadget.... I am with you on that one too and would have assumed it would have been the ATM.

Last edited:

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
GTM covers the requirement of break away brakes..... The below statement covers the vehicle towing limit!!!

ATM (Aggregate Trailer Mass) - is the total mass of the caravan or camper trailer when carrying the maximum load recommended by the manufacturer. This weight includes the tow ball mass imposed on the tow hitch plus whatever you add as a payload (eg: water, luggage, gas being the sum of the GTM plus the weight on the towball).

ATM is measured by placing the fully loaded trailer on a vehicle scale. The entire weight of the trailer should be supported on the scale as shown in Figure 2.

GTM-Figure2.jpg

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Here's our compliance plate. If you look at the ATM weight this was one of the reasons we bought off the floor and not ordered another van with the J-Tech suspension. 68 more Kilo's and we would have been up for an upgrade for the Prado as well.

Salesman warned us about the possible differences in catalogue and actual weights. (If I hadn't known him for over 10 years I would have said "Yeah typical salesman BS to move the van!!!!!") but after reading @yabbietol and others issues I see he was correct!

View attachment 29058

It's the max ball loadings written on the plate that worry me. Not sure what legal status they have (really a vehicle determinant) but I had mine changed as I am certain with gas, water and payload it is very hard to add only 48kg to the ball. Have you weighed the ball weight with everything loaded? Be interesting to know the answer in your case dagree.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
It's the max ball loadings written on the plate that worry me. Not sure what legal status they have (really a vehicle determinant) but I had mine changed as I am certain with gas, water and payload it is very hard to add only 48kg to the ball. Have you weighed the ball weight with everything loaded? Be interesting to know the answer in your case dagree.

I bought a ball weight scale prior to doing any changes and unfortunately due to the inaccuracy of them I can't confirm that actual weights @twscoot !
What I did prior to fitting things was sit the hitch on the scales (Best I could as we have a trigg hitch) with the van loaded as standard. Scales were sitting on 175 - 185 as an average. Removed the wheel and gas bottles, sat the box on the drawbar. Tied the wheel on the rear bar, placed the gas bottles, baby weber and annex walls in the box and rechecked the weight. All in all the scales were sitting at 180 - 190!

But to answer your question.... No the ball weight hasn't been accurately weighed. I will be managing a weigh bridge installation at one of our depots in a month so might have to take the van to work one day ;) ..... OR "Do I really want to know??????"

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
I bought a ball weight scale prior to doing any changes and unfortunately due to the inaccuracy of them I can't confirm that actual weights @twscoot !
What I did prior to fitting things was sit the hitch on the scales (Best I could as we have a trigg hitch) with the van loaded as standard. Scales were sitting on 175 - 185 as an average. Removed the wheel and gas bottles, sat the box on the drawbar. Tied the wheel on the rear bar, placed the gas bottles, baby weber and annex walls in the box and rechecked the weight. All in all the scales were sitting at 180 - 190!

But to answer your question.... No the ball weight hasn't been accurately weighed. I will be managing a weigh bridge installation at one of our depots in a month so might have to take the van to work one day ;) ..... OR "Do I really want to know??????"
There is an attachment you can buy to fit on top of tow ball scales for non ALKO 50mm hitch. CaravansPlus online based in Queanbeyan have one in stock. This may improve accuracy and repeatability of measurements.
http://caravansplus.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=14533

Reactions: dagree

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Starcraft 20.62-3 Outback.

Max towball weight was upgraded (twice) following a request that suggested a weight of only 48kg above the unladen towball weight was unrealistic for a van this size. (FYI actual unloaded towball weight plus 10% of payload is how they arrive at the 'max towball' figure).

image.jpg

Reactions: cruza driver

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
There is an attachment you can buy to fit on top of tow ball scales for non ALKO 50mm hitch. CaravansPlus online based in Queanbeyan have one in stock. This may improve accuracy and repeatability of measurements.
http://caravansplus.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=14533

Thanks @yabbietol
I used a jig from one of our presses at work..... Almost identical to what you posted but without the bent-up bits. Originally tried sitting the trigg hitch on a bit of flatbar only but didn't like the "wobbles" on the scales o_O. The jig helped steady things but I still got different readings everytime I set it up!

Reactions: yabbietol