17' Series Check Brakes!!!!

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Hey Captain, yes i got mine sorted. Took a long time and lots of back and forth, but eventually Alko replaced the whole drum assembly on one side. Not long after the Jayco dealer did mine they had another case.

Mine was finally done through Jayco Nowra, though Jayco Canberra helped sort the issue out. If you have any questions send me a pm.

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Cheers Moto Moto I worked out today that the problem is that for some reason the Magnet is rotating when you apply the brakes and jamming in between the Hub and the spring that holds the bottom of the 2 shoes So I will organise a whole new brake assembly for that side just to be sure

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Sorry I missed your call yesterday Moto :phone:
When you get your brake drum off the adjuster is under the magnet, but check the adjustment before removing the drum 1st to see where the adjustment is at

Here is one I prepared earlier :D\\

Hey Cruza

Do you need to take the wheel bearing nut off to get the brake drum off or does the hub and studs stay like a cars ?
my drivers side was squeeling and on the way home today so I backed off the elect brake controller .
I want to check the pads

003-1.jpg

Attachments

• 003-1.jpg
    003-1.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 150

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Sorry I missed your call yesterday Moto :phone:
When you get your brake drum off the adjuster is under the magnet, but check the adjustment before removing the drum 1st to see where the adjustment is at

Here is one I prepared earlier :D
003-1.jpg

Hey Cruza

Does the brake drum tap off or do you need to remove the bearing nut and the whole unit come off ?

Attachments

• 003-1.jpg
    003-1.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 176

Chooky

Jan 14, 2013
Glenden, Qld
Mine is in the shop as we speak, second time back for the same problem, passenger side brake getting very hot. First time in both brake assemblies from backing plate out including shoes, magnets, brake drums, wheel bearings the whole lot replaced and drove a couple of hundred kms and same problem. Also replaced the brake controller, now has a redarc controller fitted and problem still there. So now back in shop again, still waitng to see what they find. Can't complain about service they have been great. Will keep you posted what they find.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Chooky, ask them to check the welded backing plate that it's been welded on square to axle.....I'm sure someone else on here had a lot of trouble with theirs and it had something to do with backing plate. Hope its good this time around!

Reactions: Chooky

Chooky

Jan 14, 2013
Glenden, Qld
Chooky, ask them to check the welded backing plate that it's been welded on square to axle.....I'm sure someone else on here had a lot of trouble with theirs and it had something to do with backing plate. Hope its good this time around!
Thanks Burnsy will do mate, I have to ring them today so will see what they say.

Chooky

Jan 14, 2013
Glenden, Qld
Well after nearly 3 weeks in the shop I've got the van back. After a lot of head scratching and phone calls to Al-ko and testing it behind 2 of there own cars to make sure it wasn't my car that was the problem they were advised by Al-ko to replace the backing plate as everything else was checked or replaced, it was then road tested several times and so far all is good. The mounting plate on the axle was also checked @Burnsy and was all good, thanks.

Chooky

Jan 14, 2013
Glenden, Qld
Yeh apparently the backing plate wasn't square so when the shoes were fitted they weren't sitting square in the drum, causing the brakes to drag and then when applied creating more heat on top of the heat caused from dragging. This also stopped them from being adjusted correctly.