17' Series Check Brakes!!!!

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Mine's going back in for a very early 1yr service and to get 5 more major items fixed.

Brakes check, HWS on gas not lighting, faulty Water pump, kitchen flip mixer handle broken, Mains water inlet leaking near electrical under fridge.

Last time my van was in for a week for its 1000km service (and warranty repairs):noidea:

Berg

Jan 31, 2012
South Australia
Hi Moto Moto,

I'm new to the forum, and I am looking at purchasing a 14.44-4 Outback 2012MY

Just woundering what typesof warranty claims you have had to make?
And have they been corrected?

have the problems changed your view at all towards the 14.44-4 Outback.

I'm currently selling my 2011 Hawk, I have had enough of the setting up and packing up.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Hi Moto Moto,

I'm new to the forum, and I am looking at purchasing a 14.44-4 Outback 2012MY

Just woundering what typesof warranty claims you have had to make?
And have they been corrected?

have the problems changed your view at all towards the 14.44-4 Outback.

I'm currently selling my 2011 Hawk, I have had enough of the setting up and packing up.
Here you go its Moto's Expanda thread and :welcome: to the forum

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/showthread.php/84-Moto-Motos-14.44-4-Outback

Klugerclan

Aug 31, 2011
Straydingo, how did you go with the brakes after the service ? Did they make any adjustments / improvements ?

Damien & Mel

Oct 26, 2011
Forster NSW
We have jsust had the same problem on our van, even though it is a 16 ft. It was our first trip in the van, we went over to Mudgee and stayed there for 10 days. On the way over the brakes kept locking up at times when we applied them it would alternate between either side, I just kept adjusting the controller down thinking I must have a problem with the controler, not thinking it would be the van as it is only 2 weeks old. Comming back home yesterday all hell broke loose, first the brakes locked up when I just slightly applied them, there was nowhere to stop safely there to check them so we had to drive for about another 2 or 3 kms. I got out to check the wheels etc and could notice a hot brake smell, felt the wheels and the left hand side was extremely/ burning hot to touch, the right hand side was very warm but not burning hot. We sat there for about an hour so they could cool down we were about 10kms out of Merriwa and no phone service, we crept into town and stopped at the NRMA there. We called Jayco in Melbourne and spoke to the service section and after talking about the problems he got me to check the hand break on the van, it only took 3 clicks to be fully on, from this he advised that this had not had any adjustment before hand over from the dealer, and the hand brake had been partially on all the time, and as we went along the van chassis would move and further apply the hand brake, on some occasions we were down to 40 Kms. We got the mechanic at the NRMA to have a look, and when he jacked the van up and went to move the passengers side wheel he could here a grinding/ loose sound, there was one of the springs broken. He tried to remove the wheel and two of the nuts were cross threaded so he couldnt get the wheel off, it was suggested to us from Jayco in Melbourne that since the brakes have got so hot they will need to be completly replaced.
We called RV Assist they were really helpful and would tow the van to Newcastle for us for repairs then it would be our responsibility to get it home, so we ended up going through our own NRMA road side service and got it toed back to the dealer we purchased it from.
Hopefully once these repairs are carried out the next trip will be more enjoyable.

Damien & Mel

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Hopefully it all gets sorted, there seems to be a bit of a trend of over adjusted brakes at the moment :confused:.

How far did you tow it before the problem started?

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Yeah this is very strange. My van went in for service and the dealer checked everything with my brakes and said it was all good. But driving home i had the same problem as before, passenger side wheel squeeking. When i got home from Canberra that rim was too hot to touch. The drivers side was hot too but not bad.

Back onto the phone to the dealer and they are convinced its my brake controller. They think ther was nothing wrong with the van brakes at all.
My controller is a Hayman Reese, solid state i think, and they are convince these models are a common source of issues with brakes on vans. Has anyone else had issues with one of these before?

So just saving up for a Tekonsha P3, hopefully it will do the trick (though i am not convinced).

Aremac

Sep 20, 2011
Townsville, North Queensland.
We had the same problem with our 17.56-2 from handover, occasional brake lockup at low speed, the squeeking and a wheel that was to hot to touch(drivers side front). :flame:

I have had the van in at Jayco Townsville four times to try and find a solutions. After a process of elimination and lots of head scratching they've replaced the backing plate and hub on the suspect wheel. The guys think it was just out of alignment when assembled, it seems to be ok now, i could put my hand on the wheel when we got it home.

We'll be giving it a good run over Easter....fingers crossed.

Reactions: Moto Moto

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Moto, it has been known for UHF or car radios to interfere with solid state controllers if mounted too close. I believe it is rare, but..........?

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
Moto, it has been known for UHF or car radios to interfere with solid state controllers if mounted too close. I believe it is rare, but..........?

If we transmit on high meg with our HF the air bag light comes on and all the lights on the dash glow, makes me nervous. They say not to get near the antenna when transmitting as it sends out at 100watts using 20amps from the battery.

Still one of the best things we have bought.

Christian

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Just reviving an older thread here.

I have had this problem for months now. I went and got myself a new brake controller thinking it will fix my squeaking brake issues. Well unfortunatley it didn't fix the problem, and now it seems to be getting worse. Back to the drawing board.

Basiclly my kerb side wheel gets very hot while towing, this heats up the rim to the point where it is too hot to touch. It only happens once the brakes are warm and i have been driving for 15mins. While driving it makes a horrible metalic squeeking noise. I have had it back to Jayco, they thought they fixed the issue, but the problem continues.

Have any newer members had a similar problem? HELP!

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Someting like that.............i think...........i am mechanically useless. There is Friction from something to be causing so much noise and heat.

I'm actually too scared to tow it to the nearest dealer to get it looked at now. I've rung the dealer i purchased from to see what they come up with:frown:

Aremac

Sep 20, 2011
Townsville, North Queensland.
Hi Moto,
I had a very similar issue with my 17.56-2, the front offside rim would get crazy hot while towing and the brakes would squeel even when not in use. The guys at Jayco Townsville were great to deal with and after four visits and attempts to solve the problem, they replaced the backing plate on the axle. Not sure what the problem was, they seem to think it was just out of alignment when assembled, but it has solved the issue. I took the van for a good run over easter (about 1500kms) and it ran beautifully - no excess heat or brake noise. Allan was the mechanic i dealt with here - maybe give him a bell and he might be able to point you in the right direction.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Hi Moto,
I had a very similar issue with my 17.56-2, the front offside rim would get crazy hot while towing and the brakes would squeel even when not in use. The guys at Jayco Townsville were great to deal with and after four visits and attempts to solve the problem, they replaced the backing plate on the axle. Not sure what the problem was, they seem to think it was just out of alignment when assembled, but it has solved the issue. I took the van for a good run over easter (about 1500kms) and it ran beautifully - no excess heat or brake noise. Allan was the mechanic i dealt with here - maybe give him a bell and he might be able to point you in the right direction.

Thanks Scott.

Been on the phone a bit this morning talking with the dealer i purchased from AND my closest dealer. Unfortunatley they don't have access to each others service information. Most service departments are booked out for 2 months either way, so looks like we may have to miss out camping in my favorite time of year. I can see this will not be a quick fix.

My main concern is safety and getting the van to any dealer without having a blow out from excessive heat.

I have been told Jayco HQ would not approve covering the cost of transport. Might even try road side assist to get it transported on a car carrier to my closest dealer (1 hr away) as it is too dangerous to tow that far. Not sure if this is feasible though.

Still waiting to hear back from a few people, will see how we go:noidea:

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
I dropped my van off on Wednesday and the dealer has remove the whole brake assembly and sent it off to ALKO to be replaced by a new one. What a saga. This has been going on since January. I was just very thankful the dealer has helped me out during a period when they are booked out for 2 months.

If anyone else out there is having brake issues (ie hot, squeeky), then get it checked ASAP. I have spoken to a few dealers and they have all had a few come in with this problem in the last few months.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Well i'm still without my van and very frustrated. In the short time i have owned my van i think i have had way more than my fair share of warranty issues. In nearly 12 months of ownership i think my van has been getting something fixed/repaired/replaced and basically unuseable for 2 months. While i have been getting good warranty support, i'm a bit fed up with the amount of time it takes.

Can't wait to get it back, I just want to go away with my great little van:car:

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I empathise with you, Moto. I had lost mine for more than 2 months over Christmas and felt very deprived. It has been out a few times since and is now tucked up in its shelter for a month or so.

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Just thought I would revive this Old thread as i too am now having this same problem ,4 weeks out of warranty now! took the van down to my brothers place on the weekend and when I got there the kerb side drum & wheel was so hot it was untouchable, took off the hub the next day and checked everything seemed OK put it all back together and got about 3 kms up the road, stopped and checked the wheel, too hot already so I took it back to my Brothers place and left it there going to head back down today and see if I can sort it, Just before Easter I had the local mechanic repack the Bearings and he discovered that the brake lining on the back shoe on that side had completely worn out and replaced the shoe, we drove 600ks at Easter and had no trouble then Van sits for a week and we have troubles on a 100km trip Moto Moto and Aremac did you get yours sorted