Caravan Parks charging extra for kids

Alenka

Aug 5, 2013
Get the book Camping guide to Victoria by Boiling Billy Publications over 690 campsites.This book is also available for other states Highly Recommended by me!

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
We were living in our first van at a caravan park when my first son was born, I couldn't believe it when we brought him home from hosptal the weekly charge went up by $5 a week (in 1975 I was a third year apprentice earning about $50PW) so I guess it's not a new thing. We had our youngest son and his girlfriend stay a weekend with us in Hervey Bay earlier this year in an ensuited site they are in their 30s and from memory the extra charge was negligible, we stayed at the Coolum council caravan park earlier this year also, we had another couple stay for a night and the charge from memory was $25 per head, which I thought was a little extreme?

DW

borstalboy

Apr 17, 2012
Northern Subs SA
We suffer the same problem as when we use parks its normally my wife, mother in law, daughter and myself. I would use more parks and maybe take the mother in-law more often if it didn't cost nearly as much as a cabin. If the parks cotton on to the fact that families are staying away due to extra costs and lowered the fees they would in turn do more business. After all an empty site costs the same to maintain as a full one except one generates revenue.

Clayton

Jun 16, 2013
I'm with bushman IF THEY DON'T ASK DON'T TELL, sometimes I panic when I don't mention them , and when your setting up and the park owners or employees walk past and your rug rats are hanging around out front, just look down and don't make eye contact lol send them off whilst setting up for a look around the park, and act like they don't belong to you lol

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
I am getting quotes for holidays in either November or Easter. Cannot believe that some places are looking at charging up to $10/night for and infant!!!!:argue:

Think of just saying we have three kids under five and hiding the baby as he will be sleeping in the Expanda most of the time anyway!!!!

ckcklopic

Aug 11, 2011
Melbourne
We are looking to travel melbourne/sunshine coast/gold coast March next year and some initial enquiries advise there is a $5 per night charge for the dog! Seems pretty hard to justify to me, he must be on a lead at all times, not allowed in any communal areas, can't be left alone, and I am sure he won't drink $5 of water a night.

Frosty

Jul 19, 2013
Redlands, S.E.Q.
Our regular 2 weeks in Yamba over the Summer school holidays is also now well over $120 a night once you add our 2 kids & sorry to say it but a $3 to $5 a night charge for the mutt has become quite common place up here in SEQ/NNSW over the past year or so. Even some of the council owned parks won't leave you with much change out of a hundred a night nowadays. Sadly from some I think the attitude is if you can afford to buy the van then you can afford to pay the money...

Wanda

Jun 22, 2013
Adelaide
Wow :eek:, this is the first time I have heard of parks charging for a dog! A lot of van owners with on board showers and toilets don't even make use of the ablutions blocks let alone being charged extra for their four legged mate. Maybe we need to start a thread posting parks (perhaps state by state) that do this. Personally, we would certainly avoid these parks, we have 2 dogs, $10 extra a night for them would be ridiculous!
Mrs Wanda (where's my soap box :D)

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
Bloody hell, I must be out of touch, some of these fees are ridiculous, I thought caravaning was supposed to be afordable family fun??
The problem is some "free" campers are making it very difficult for the honest user by leaving crap everwhere and not paying the honesty box fees which wont help anyone either. Guess this is the world we live in.
Dave

borstalboy

Apr 17, 2012
Northern Subs SA
I am all for a thread that posts parks fees and maybe some of the parks might get the hint. I don't mind paying for quality, but if I wanted to pay resorts prices then that's where I would go and stay. I for one will decide if I stay in a park based on price if fair I will stay if not I will use my free camp set up and they miss out.

Reactions: Hubble80 and Wanda

Walks

Sep 15, 2013
Melbourne
So you go to a caravan park, you provide your own accommodation, in a space the you rent for the night. If you have 2 or 10 kids the rate should not change surely? I've never stayed in a CP before but Site fee plus $20 per kid??? Even if it included a free breakfast it would be a no.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
A couple of parks we have been in charged a bond for a dog and if no complaints were made and any mess was cleaned up the bond was returned. This seemed to me a fair way of doing things.

I like dogs but I am not a dog owner and travelling is one of the reasons. :mike:

Reactions: cruza driver

Wanda

Jun 22, 2013
Adelaide
A couple of parks we have been in charged a bond for a dog and if no complaints were made and any mess was cleaned up the bond was returned. This seemed to me a fair way of doing things.

I like dogs but I am not a dog owner and travelling is one of the reasons. :mike:
Mrs Wanda TOTALLY AGREES Chartrock. I would have no problem paying a bond for our dogs, and I'm sure doing that would not be a problem for any responsible dog owner. It's the 'pay up anyway' bit that's got my nose out of joint :rant:

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
I have noticed some parks have now simply bumped there prices by $10 or $20 bucks a night and removed the kids policy.

Bad in some ways but good in others.

The thing that gets up my goat is the minimum stay policy over the holidays.

Some parks clearly have plenty of room but you can't just stay a weekend as its a 5 night minimum.

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Currently at Midstate Caravan Park in Dubbo... They have charged us extra for the kids, but in saying that for three nights they have only charged us as having 1 child for 2 nights instead of the 2 kids for 3 nights. Guess it depends on where you go and what the managers are like at the time.

BJ.

kavs

Dec 30, 2012
Kalgoorlie, WA
I always say just 2 adults as I think you should only be paying for a site not for how many people are staying on it! As our kids are still young and most of the time they have a shower with us anyway so there's not that much extra cost in water!

Although I have heard horror stories from my wife when she has used the female showers and there are young 14+ teenage girls in there having hour long showers then blow drying there hair, then straightening there hair etc. So maybe the extra price should be age specific and gender specific! Teenage girls $20!:p