• Screenshot_20211021-172543_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20211021-172543_Facebook.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 193
Reactions: mikerezny

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
well just came back from a 6-day camping trip.
First night: reheated home made pizza from our last night at home.
Second night: hamburgers on rolls baked before we left home.
Breakfast: Bacon and egg burger on home made rolls.
Lunch: freshly made damper cooked on the chippy.
then damper and jam, damper and syrup, yum!
Lunch: egg, lettuce, and mayo on defrosted home-made rolls
Lunch: freshly made white cob cooked on the chippy.
To eat with coffee: three ingredient fruit cake I baked before we left.
And we still came home with 4 frozen home-made rolls!

take care
Mike

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
and now your off to the Gym for 3 weeks .............................. I am envious you can chomp away on that much bread and I love fruit cake, they are all on the moderation list now ........................ some people have all the luck.

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi @Drover,
actually we are not eating all that much bread or cake. The cobs are quite small, 250g of flour and we make one last 3 meals between two of us.
The bread rolls are also quite small.
The damper and bread I make in the chippy are also small: 250g of flour.
The damper is used for 2-3 meals and a slice between us with a cup of coffee. The bread lasts three meals.
The fruit cake and date loaf are also rationed out and lasts in the fridge for quite a while. I bake a cake, cut it in two and put one half in the fridge and the other half in the freezer. We probably go through one cake a month.

I typically lose about 1kg per week when we go camping.

I suspect that, since we are making our own bread etc, we actually eat less of it then when we were buying it.

take care
Mike

Reactions: Drover

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
here is a link to a very simple recipe for three ingredient fruit cake.
https://bakeplaysmile.com/3-ingredient-christmas-cake/

I have adapted it:
For liquid, I use full-cream milk, 2 teaspoon instant coffee, and a tablespoon of Kahlua.
I use standard Woolworths mixed fruit. My partner doesn't like dried glazed cherries, otherwise I would also throw a handful of them in as well.

I have now made it twice and I will make the following modification the next time I make it:
Increase the amount of self raising flour from 265g to 300g.

take care
Mike

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi,
here is a link to a very simple recipe for three ingredient fruit cake.
https://bakeplaysmile.com/3-ingredient-christmas-cake/

I have adapted it:
For liquid, I use full-cream milk, 2 teaspoon instant coffee, and a tablespoon of Kahlua.
I use standard Woolworths mixed fruit. My partner doesn't like dried glazed cherries, otherwise I would also throw a handful of them in as well.

I have now made it twice and I will make the following modification the next time I make it:
Increase the amount of self raising flour from 265g to 300g.

take care
Mike
Thanks Mike, I love fruit cake and Ive just grabbed that fruit cake recipe to have a crack when I head bush in a couple of weeks

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
........................ some people have all the luck
Youre in sunny QLD, retired, free and able to wander about aimlessly with or without your caravan. We have been under house arrest forever, my factory flooded today and for living memory I couldnt (legally) go further than the end of my street. I had less freedom and right than when I was 5 years old.

Ill swap my bread consumption tolerance with you and sweeten the deal with a $100 .... interested ???

(I hate my life, and yours looks pretty cool. With or without bread)

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Youre in sunny QLD, retired, free and able to wander about aimlessly with or without your caravan. We have been under house arrest forever, my factory flooded today and for living memory I couldnt (legally) go further than the end of my street. I had less freedom and right than when I was 5 years old.

Ill swap my bread consumption tolerance with you and sweeten the deal with a $100 .... interested ???

Can't argue with that, was only thinking the other day about you fellas and how I would be , lets just say "not in a happy place" but fat chance I will swap places, I may have saved one Victorian, lived there in 1976 but was very happy to leave and never come back.............. at least in QLD the idiots have more room to spread out...
That fruit cake recipe is going to get a run for sure @mikerezny

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic

i can't wait to retire the earlier the better
sell up here and build on our land in coral cove

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I have the gear, I have the recipes, I always plan to make some tomorrow but look at it and think nah, not today...... inspiration is fleeting nowadays..... but I'm ready when it does appear for the bread or fruit cake.

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
I have the gear, I have the recipes, I always plan to make some tomorrow but look at it and think nah, not today...... inspiration is fleeting nowadays..... but I'm ready when it does appear for the bread or fruit cake.
I forgot to mention that there are many possibilities for the liquid in the fruit cake: chocolate or coffee flavoured milk also any type of fruit juice, orange being a popular choice.

Then there are the alcoholic additives, scotch, rum, kahlua tia-maria, cointreau, port, etc, etc.

I am looking forward to your results.

take care
Mike

• Love