17' Series Annexe curved roof bars

AndrewC

Mar 20, 2013
Murrumba Downs, Brisbane
So how many people just leave the bottom of the bars attached to van? I would think this would be stronger than pegging down. Obviosly the bars sticking out at 45deg might catch the odd head, but I've seen a lot of people using front and rear shade scraeens (which stops you walking under the bars), and leave the side open.

I have never un-clipped mine off the van yet. Just one more thing to set up and pack up!

But, i do know some people that set them up off the van every time as they tend to walk around with their eyes closed and walk into the bars when clipped onto the van

SP4RKI

Jan 13, 2013
Arcadia, NSW
I loop the ropes over the barrel on the edges. Doesnt seem to damage it.
There are some commercially available products like this
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CARAVAN-..._Parts_Accessories&hash=item3382ad58a5&_uhb=1
but a normal rope with spring etc will do fine.
There is also this sort of thing
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CARAVAN-..._Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a2d6a84d7&_uhb=1

For my money, I always get the ropes onto the awning as soon as it's out. I've heard too many stories of gusts of wind coming up and flipping the awning over as soon as you turn your back.

Thanks relgate,
My parents also gave me the tip to get the ropes on ASAP.......
Love the links, but I think your right the normal rope and spring will suffice!

SP4RKI

Jan 13, 2013
Arcadia, NSW
I use the "C" brackets like @relgate's second link and ratchet straps instead of ropes. The brackets clip into to track groove once the screen is on. Use them every time along with my "screw in" pegs. Also anti-flap things Doesn't move.
Hi Xpandafan,
i think I could have done with your setup last weekend in the hacking wind and rain!
Instead, I took the easy way and rolled it up.... Then went to the trusty forum to seek advice!

Brad & Donna

May 13, 2013
Townsville
I always unattach and peg down if staying in one spot for more than an quick overnight stay, I believe it gives you far better access around the van Than leaving them attached. Peg down, 2 quick guide ropes and 2 curved awning bars - never had any dramas in windy weather

Reactions: pace9908

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
So how many people just leave the bottom of the bars attached to van? I would think this would be stronger than pegging down. Obviosly the bars sticking out at 45deg might catch the odd head, but I've seen a lot of people using front and rear shade scraeens (which stops you walking under the bars), and leave the side open.
Sometimes for an overnight stop. Straight down and pegged with screens on.