17' Series Annexe curved roof bars

Oct 13, 2012
Hi all,
We have just picked up our new 17.56-1 expanda. We have a full annexe with anti flap kit, my question is how many people have the curved roof bars for their annexe and are they worth the purchase and how many bars for the 17 foot van. Thanks

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Pretty sure 16 and below is 1 bar and 17/18 is 2 bar. The other tip is to have the material/roller join at 12 o'clock position.

Geoff

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
We have 2 roof bars with our 17 (had to ask for them, paid around $150 I think). We haven't been in heavy rain yet but I'm glad I've got them.

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
I am considering buying a set for our 17.56-2 as when it gets a little windy the awning tends to rock the van which is a bit of a shock at night when sleeping!!! If the wind is getting up I just roll it in and put it back out in the morning.

Oct 13, 2012
thanks for the advice all. We will definitely have the bar/s installed but my final question is how many? The guy I spoke to at Jayco suggested 1 was enough but can go for 2 if we wanted to however having 2 can cause some pooling in the middle of them. Would 2 be overkill and 1 be sufficient or should we go all out?

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
We were told by Tebbs (who made the annex) that 2 was the go. The rafters are curved. after close inspection when installed I note that there is no risk of pooling (at least with their design)

jim74

Oct 23, 2012
port macquarie
we have 2 on the 17.56-OB , definetely worth while , as the others have said it stops water from pooling and helps tighten the anex up in windy conditions

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I think the instructions stated 12 foot and above use two. The 16:49 has a 13 foot awning and I used one. I think I would definetly use two on anything longer. They are great in the wind, they stop the awning flapping up and down and pulling from thr anti flappers. Please bear in mind they DO stretch the awning.

Oct 13, 2012
Hi Jim, thanks for the suggestion i think 2 bars will do the trick. When you say they do stretch the awning, does this have any adverse impact? for example does is stretch so much that it affects the roll up function of the awning? Thanks

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Not really you notice it on roll up. The material does have some memory. And goes back. But I fear with out the curved bar your awning would meet an early demise anyhow.

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
We used 2 on a previous 20ft van, definitely worth the expense, remember though, once you start using them, you will have to use them all the time as they do stretch the material slightly. Other tip I found was to put the switch on the roller to wind-up (roll-in) once the awning was out, this way the wind could not pull the material and over-roll the unit.

Cheers

Craig

SP4RKI

Jan 13, 2013
Arcadia, NSW
Hi all, we were away on the weekend and the wind (and rain) picked up, so I initially lowered the awning down a fair bit and then ended up rolling it away before bed.
i've seen plenty of people rope and peg the awning down at the corners. Is there any particular spot you tie the ropes to? Just dont want to have the awning damaged by tying the ropes on the wrong spot.... Any tips anyone?

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I loop the ropes over the barrel on the edges. Doesnt seem to damage it.
There are some commercially available products like this
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CARAVAN-..._Parts_Accessories&hash=item3382ad58a5&_uhb=1
but a normal rope with spring etc will do fine.
There is also this sort of thing
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CARAVAN-..._Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a2d6a84d7&_uhb=1

For my money, I always get the ropes onto the awning as soon as it's out. I've heard too many stories of gusts of wind coming up and flipping the awning over as soon as you turn your back.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
I use the "C" brackets like @relgate's second link and ratchet straps instead of ropes. The brackets clip into to track groove once the screen is on. Use them every time along with my "screw in" pegs. Also anti-flap things Doesn't move.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi SP4RKI, i did this, all 316ss from Bunnings. As relgate said the ropes (double) are the first thing on after awning is out.

Picture 732.jpg
The parrot approves it also! :)

Reactions: SP4RKI

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
So how many people just leave the bottom of the bars attached to van? I would think this would be stronger than pegging down. Obviosly the bars sticking out at 45deg might catch the odd head, but I've seen a lot of people using front and rear shade scraeens (which stops you walking under the bars), and leave the side open.