annex walls

jim74

Oct 23, 2012
port macquarie
hi all
new to this site and was after a little help. i will be picking up a 2011 17.56-2 OB in about a month which has only the fold out awning and no walls. after having a jayco swan with twin annexes for a few years i think i would like the security and weather proofness of the annex walls with maybe an add a room. any opinions on where to look for a quality product that doesnt break the bank?(the van will do that)
cheers
jim

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
G'day Jim and welcome to the forum :welcome:

I can't help you with the annex question as we just have the roll out awning but there is always someone willing to answer a question if they can.

There is a few threads regarding annexes so you may find your answer there :thumb:

Cheers Cruza

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Welcome Jim, plenty of places that will fit walls for you but unfortunately I don't think there is any cheap option if you want canvas.

Cheers.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
hi all
new to this site and was after a little help. i will be picking up a 2011 17.56-2 OB in about a month which has only the fold out awning and no walls. after having a jayco swan with twin annexes for a few years i think i would like the security and weather proofness of the annex walls with maybe an add a room. any opinions on where to look for a quality product that doesnt break the bank?(the van will do that)
cheers
jim

Hi Jim, price will depend on wether you want canvas or vinyl most people just get the kakadu vinyl annexe and add a room when ordering there vans.

There is a good thread by coastrunner on vinyl vs canvas -

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/sh...(Everything-you-want-to-know)?highlight=annex

In terms of coin I think you are looking at between $2 - $3k for the base annexe walls and a center curved roof rafter and the add room is about $1200 from kakadu in vinyl. If you want a front porch awning then you are looking at around $800.

So definetly not cheap :) but very worth it!

We are going with a kakadu annexe walls and add a room which we will setup at the back of the van and instead of a front porch we are getting one of these just tossing up wether to get the no name brand or go for an oztrail -

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/160654665050?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

In terms of brands other than the Kakadu I personally have been eyeing of this particular model, they also do an add room its called "Captains Quarters" but the boss doesn't like canvas and wants vinyl only as we have had wet experiences with canvas!!!!

http://www.australiawideannexes.com.au/annexes.php

Finally there is another thread here that mentions some costs as well and a few different companies -

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/showthread.php/982-Annexe-costs

Happy hunting and don't forgot to come back and let us know how you get along!!!

grinner914

Aug 3, 2011
Bacchus Marsh VIC
Another possible option;

http://www.coastrv.com.au/_product_brochures/Coast_Awning_Wall_Kit_Broch.pdf

We have the full canvas annex made by Prestige Jayco in Geelong (ordered with the van).

It seems to be a very well made unit, and have had it up for 2 weeks at a time while staying on the Gold Coast and it faired really well.

Saying that, I find it a real PITA to put up, especially the end walls. I don't know if this is a common thing with all annex's or just the design of the Prestige one.

Jason

jim74

Oct 23, 2012
port macquarie
the swan i have at the moment has 2 kakadu awnings, 1 standard bag awning and a larger 1 with the add a room which i cant fault except for the setting up time of the larger awning. a lot of people seem to be going for the shade cloth walls but do they keep the weather out like vinyl/canvas?

casiochris

Dec 1, 2011
Newcastle NSW
Coffs Canvas did ours and it was about $2000 for the walls and a porch off the front in vinyl. I actually wanted canvas but when we went to pick the van up they had made the vinyl and I am very happy with it. A lot easier to clean than my old canvas walls.

jim74

Oct 23, 2012
port macquarie
coffs is only 2 hours up the road for me so i might give them a call. do you have any photos of yours chris to help me convince the boss into spending the money? it sounds exactly what im after.

casiochris

Dec 1, 2011
Newcastle NSW
They aren't very good but will give you an idea!!!

20120412_091955.jpg20120412_091919.jpg

Reactions: jim74

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
More pics below. As previously mentioned, I purposely opted for the 14 footer as I like to tow something a little smaller. It`s also alot easier reversing up my driveway then around the side.

I was happy to see that my annexe fits 2 x 7 foot stretcher beds. They fit long ways or cross ways. I prefer long ways as the boys have a small walkway between the beds and don`t have to climb over each other.

When ordering the annexe, the canvaser advised me to install a mid roof rafter. He said not everyone goes for this, but it prevents pooling of water in the middle of the roof should heavy rain find its way to us while away. I could notice the extra support when connecting the mid rafter at the end of putting up the annexe.

photo-8.JPGphoto-10.JPGphoto-36.JPGphoto-37.JPGphoto-31.JPG

So all up the annexe for my 14.44.2 cost $2200.
This included 1 large window on front, another on the rear side. 2 anti flap kits, 1 mid roof rafter, one side skirt, zip down window flaps with velcro across the bottom seam, slide in velcro connecting wall to van joiners, 2 x velcro attachments to extender poles for attachment to pop top vinyl. Annexe is made from canvas.

Dimensions of annexe is approximately 11 foot long, 7 foot wide.

Time to erect 15 minutes.

jim74

Oct 23, 2012
port macquarie
i have been told the roof supports are definetley worth getting for that reason. all things going to plan i should pick the van up this weekend then hopefully talk to the guys at coffs to see if they can have something ready for xmas. another question for you all - is it worth while keeping my old sway bar set up of my Swan to put on the new van. the current owner has never worried about them? the set i have currently are the old bar type setup with 2 bars in a hook type set up that go either side of the draw bar.i will be towing it with a 2011 model prado with a suspension kit with airbags in the back end.i never really noticed the difference with them on or off with the smaller van .

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
Almost forgot to add.

Annexe was made by "Cramaro Enviro-Tarps.
5 Mineral Road, Oak Flats 2529
Ph:- 42571888
Mob:- 0419234229

They told me what they would do, answered all my questions, made suggestions and did a very thorough job.

When it came time to pick the annexe up, they set it up for me, and had me pack it up making sure I knew every step to take.

I highly recommened these guys to anyone.

Their quote wasn`t the cheapest but I went with them because they convinced me they`d do a better job.

Little extras like the middle rafter, the velcro side sliding canvas to attach to the wall, all seemed to win me over.

My quotes ranged from $1975 to $2400. These guys were $2200.

SilverFox

Aug 27, 2012
ACT
Hi Jim74,

I think your referring to the same CAMEC four bar weight distribution hitch (WDH) that I also had for my Swan camper, where two bars are attached either side of the draw bar from a plate on the tow ball. Is this correct? If so, these are rated to 125kg. I'm not sure what van you are picking up this weekend, but the rule of thumb is that it is usually 10% of the ATM weight of the van. So, if your van new van has an ATM of say 1500kg, then the weight off the ball is going to be around 150kg, which is less that the rated 125kg of your WDH. Does this make sense. In other words, if you indeed need a WDH with the new van you will need one that is appropriately rated. I hope this helps.

Cheers

Luis