Aldi Specials?????

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Must be more expensive down your way our brand at Aldi is still cheaper by about $1.70 compared to Western Star at Woollies, comes from same factory ................................ We prefer to shop at Woollies, no choice really, small IGA doesn't have the range so its a 120km round trip if we want to give Coles or a bigger IGA a run, none of the savings are worth it even with a Dans available as a fringe benefit..... even getting to a bank in the big smoke is a pain for parking and a long walk ........ Have friends that run to Aldi for their shopping then go to Coles to get what Aldi doesn't have, then run for home, over 120km for the shopping, we are getting into the habit of ordering online then just pick up in store, we seem to spend less................................ I imagine those that don't declare a surcharge, along with all the other fee's will be factored in to the overall price, just like the free postage on Ebay its there you just don't see it................ When we had a business they hit you with fee for the machine, a fee for processing which changed with how much you took in that month, some even chrged for the rolls of paper and there was another fee as well when you took your real money in to deposit, they get you from all angles so the price of goods does have all those fees including the govt ones bundled in them............. some items when you looked at the fees and charges just to get the stuff ticketed and on the shelf, ended up more than the price you paid for the product from the supplier..........

Anyway the caravan stuff they have is good value I reckon, haven't had any fails from their gear and some has been in use for years.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
@Drover do you know where the Woolworths Essentials butter comes from? It is usually about the same price as Aldi.
Hi @mikerezny and @Drover , Aldi prices for most things are far cheaper than Woolies and Coles at our local stores, and for the same quality, or even the same product, according to Mrs Boots. I will see if she can come up with some good examples. However, I have to agree that the rewards offers from both Woollies and Coles (for fuel and grog respectively) are reason to purchase from them when Aldi not cheaper. Swings and roundabouts there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
@Drover do you know where the Woolworths Essentials butter comes from? It is usually about the same price as Aldi.

Haven't looked but it once was NZ butter, we go for the Western Star spreadable stuff, which going by packaging marks is the same as the Aldi Butterly stuff though the tub is made by a different mob to the other stuff same brand but white tub .... Woollies and Coles, possibly Aldi as well will have a code on the package which ID's the farm or packing house of the product, used to have a list back in the day so I knew which farm ... as for fuel I haven't used a Woollies outlet for a long time, local Ampol and Independant cheaper by up to 10c at times aorund here, Coles hasn't been competitive for a long time being even 20c dearer locally.... though use my flybuy points on Bunnings cards, some of the bills I pay give you flybuys as we never shop at Coles or any of their pther brandings, too far away.

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
If you can get an ABN number, you can sign up at Bunnings for a Powerpass card. That will get you 5% discount on most building type tools, products etc. But you can't get Flybuys AND the discount and not all products qualify for a discount. Easy as... I scan my Powerpass card and take off any that don't get a discount. Then I buy those products separately and use the Flybuys card. After a while, you know what items get the Powerpass discount.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boots in Action

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Happen to have family in the building game so have a Bunnings and Total tools cards the money to go with them to buy the gear would be nice, we have a new Tool Kit Depot opened up in Gympie, I'm going to have a browse while the Jeep is getting some suspension adjustments done this week, thankfully I have blown all spare funds on a few things so just a tyre kicking trip.............. a new battery for the Jeep, big arse AGM and a few tins of concrete paint has left the cupboard bare for awhile. .................... Amazing how these threads evolve.....

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
They also have a 100Ah AGM deep cycle battery ($199) and a thermal cooker with a 12V heating element and 240v power supply $99). Both have a 12 month warranty. We have had the thermal cooker for many years and use it all the time.
Do you know if the battery is any good? I need a new one and don’t currently use it enough to get the expensive model.

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Do you know if the battery is any good? I need a new one and don’t currently use it enough to get the expensive model.
I have never bought one. But I would probably trust an Aldi product over an unknown online seller. It is quite inexpensive and has a 12-month warranty that would be honoured.
If I needed a new battery, I would certainly consider buying this one.
Aldi has a 60 day, no questions asked return to store refund policy. So you can always return it if you feel it wasn't what you wanted.
One check is to compare the weight of the battery against similar name brand batteries. The cheapies will weigh less as they skimp on the actual battery material.
If you do decide to buy one, make sure you keep your receipt in case you need to return it to the store or have it replaced under warranty. Keep the documentation (or carton) as it will have the contact details for making a warranty claim.

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Someone on here got one for his fridge, haven't heard any howls so must have been okay... Now you can register your purchase warranty online for Aldi stuff which is handy.. I always scan the warranty reciepts so I still have a copy after the original fades away, especially for things that have a few years warranty, some last some don't..............

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
If you cab get an ABN number, you can sign up at Bunnings for a Powerpass card. That will get you 5% discount on most building type tools, products etc. But you can't get Flybuys AND the discount and not all products qualify for a discount. Easy as... I scan my Powerpass card and take off any that don't get a discount. Then I buy those products separaetly and use the Flybuys card. After awhile, you know what items get the Powerpass discount.
Another way if you don’t have an ABN to get the power pass is to have a trade licence.

Reactions: mikerezny

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
I have never bought one. But I would probably trust an Aldi product over an unknown online seller. It is quite inexpensive and has a 12-month warranty that would be honoured.
If I needed a new battery, I would certainly consider buying this one.
Aldi has a 60 day, no questions asked return to store refund policy. So you can always return it if you feel it wasn't what you wanted.
One check is to compare the weight of the battery against similar name brand batteries. The cheapies will weigh less as they skimp on the actual battery material.
If you do decide to buy one, make sure you keep your receipt in case you need to return it to the store or have it replaced under warranty. Keep the documentation (or carton) as it will have the contact details for making a warranty claim.
Thanks for your advice. I am away this weekend in Queenscliffe so hopefully I can get one on Monday.