2015 Expanda 16.49-1

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
We have a Touring underslung and had a OB last year..the OB is still higher with the JTech, we still scrape our bum now and then going into and out of some petrol stations. I get it done for sure on a touring ours was done factory.

Last edited:

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Was that the model with the jay tech suspension?

Ours is so high (2014 model) that I'm assuming it's much higher than the models with the older suspension.

I can't imagine how or why you'd need it any higher.

Clearance for everything we attempt is more than fine ...I think anything higher would impact on ride level etc so it would depend on the type of suspension, I think.

I could be totally wrong...not unusual.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
2014 onwards if I remember no full axle? Not sure you can raise them maybe pack. Not sure you need to they are pretty high.
Not sure the height difference Jtech made over older outbacks, I think someone had it somewhere cannot find :(
AL-KO-suspension.jpg

Reactions: Dobbie

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
My j-tech OB is higher than the standard leaf sprung OB expanda we had.
The main reasons we had the expanda OB underslung were our driveway and we bent the step badly ,which lays low , when the wheel went into a hole along the bush tracks.
it had as much clearance as the OB jayco camper trailers after that .

JohngQld

Jun 17, 2015
Caboolture, Qld
I wanted our 16.49.1 to have the underslung axel but was told the new axel didn't allow this to work so instead they weld a 50mm packer section to the chassis. The extra lift is certainly noticeable.
JohnSuspensionPacker.jpeg

Gogeelong

Jul 26, 2015
Adelaide
Roof is fixed and we have been on the road for a few weeks. Absolutely loving it. Packed up in Eden today in light rain without any concern about wet canvas which with the camper trailer was always painful

Set up in light rain at Lakes Entrance also very easy

Only two questions running through my mind tonight as I sit in comfort with a red wine and dark chocolate. They are:

1) how much wind does there need to be before I get concerned about awning damage and does this vary depending on whether you leave legs attached to van or pegged in ground? We are not setting annex up as only here for a couple of days.

2) the other night we got locked in the van. Could not unlock door. I had to jump out window and thankfully could unlock it with key from outside. Anyone had a similar experience? I am abit nervous about locking door against.

Will put some pictures up as soon as I work out how from my phone (just tried the button to upload but file was to large - will search how to now)

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Any wind that worries you is one to be concerned about.

Always a good idea to extend awning legs and tie them down in case wind picks up. Legs out on awning is stronger.

Use tie downs anyway in case wind gets up more...easy to do and easy to undo but peace of mind.