20.63-1

DSP

May 18, 2013
Mornington Peninsula
Another Newbie here..... We too are looking at a 20.63.

Can someone help me out please? What is a WDH? What does it do for you?

Your comments about options are all questions I too were thinking. I am seriously going to look at a non-slide out version now that I know you don't gain much.

Can any one make comment on a good Fridge to upgrade too? A couple of years ago we rented an RV in USA and it had an automatic three way fridge. This was great you did not need to worry about it at all. Stop the car it went on Gas. Plugged the mains in, it went on power. We had spoken to one of the Melbourne dealers who did not recommend getting a automatic unit.

Thanks

DSP

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Hey mate
I have a 7 pin plug from car to van and then the anderson. The anderson does basically replace the hot wire in the 12 pin from my knowledge. The beauty of the anderson is a much larger cable and quality of power for charging the vans battery but more importantly to keep good power to the fridge whilst it is running on 12volt whilst travelling.
And yes so you can plug the solar straight into it to charge the van back up. :)

I have Anderson, 12 pin and Solar on my 16-49-3, (all factory fitted) As we have the 150 ltr fridge the 12 pin "Hot Wire" runs the fridge the Anderson goes straight to battery.

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hi DSP,
Welcome to the forum.
WDH is a Weight Distribution Hitch. Below is an extract I found to help explain.

A WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION HITCH (WDH, also called level-rides or load-levellers) is often important for safe towing of caravans and trailers. When a load is placed on the rear of a vehicle, a pivoting action (like a see-saw) takes place on the rear axle of the towing vehicle. The additional weight imposed on the towball depresses the rear of the vehicle, lifting the front. Taking weight off the front wheels can lead to poorer steering control, less effective braking, an overall loss of traction between the tyres and the road surface, point the headlights towards the sky, and may result in caravan sway. In short, it’s a bad idea.

A WDH will tension the vertical movement between the tow vehicle and the caravan chassis and counteract the pivoting, returning some of the weight to the front of the tow vehicle, resulting in a safer rig.

this is a pic of our setup. Can't help with the fridge question though others might.

Hope that helps.

HM

Van 8.jpg

Peakay

May 14, 2013
Ballarat
I have Anderson, 12 pin and Solar on my 16-49-3, (all factory fitted) As we have the 150 ltr fridge the 12 pin "Hot Wire" runs the fridge the Anderson goes straight to battery.

Thanks guys, I'm thinking of going the same way, mainly because of an issue I've heard about with 7 pin trailer plugs falling out of 12 pin vehicle plugs. I tow a trailer most days so if this is an issue then the Anderson plug will be a must.

I asked the dealer but apparently Jayco only put 12 pins on now and don't fit Anderson plugs to the battery, they offered to get an auto lecco in but then I'd be paying a middle man.

Reckon this will be a 4 stubby job on the front lawn!

has anyone else has issues with the 7 pin trailer plug slipping / falling out of the 12 pin on the vehicle???

meandher (a frost)

Mar 21, 2013
The Vines, WA
Hey guys, did the sign off on our 20.63 0B today. We went for the slide out on the original draft and when the drawings came out were told that there is possibly no access for space under the seats in the slide out version, whereas there is in the non slide out item. Tried to change it back to non slide out as an "as built" as it seems a pointless exercise to lose all that storage for a nice to have item costing an extra $2.5K and they flatly refused to make the change. Took the shine off the whole thing with this attitude and it wasn't the only issue that ticked me off. A lot of the modifications and additions that others seem to organise with the factory on this forum also "could not be done". Anyone else bought the slide out version and does it have under seat storage or not? I can understand the reasoning if there isn't, as without certain factory underseat modifications that will be easy to do with a bit of thought, badly packed items stored under the seat could jam the movement mechanism in theory. No doubt I will make it work and modify it myself if worst comes to worst.

Outlaying so much folding stuff you need to feel as if your business counts. Currently I don't get the warm and fluffies from Jayco. It seems everything is just too hard for them and all they want to offer is bog-standard fare. For a $60K spend I was expecting a bit more enthusiasm from the dealer and manufacturer.

xpanda

Apr 28, 2013
Gippsland
Hey guys, did the sign off on our 20.63 0B today. We went for the slide out on the original draft and when the drawings came out were told that there is possibly no access for space under the seats in the slide out version, whereas there is in the non slide out item. Tried to change it back to non slide out as an "as built" as it seems a pointless exercise to lose all that storage for a nice to have item costing an extra $2.5K and they flatly refused to make the change. Took the shine off the whole thing with this attitude and it wasn't the only issue that ticked me off. A lot of the modifications and additions that others seem to organise with the factory on this forum also "could not be done". Anyone else bought the slide out version and does it have under seat storage or not? I can understand the reasoning if there isn't, as without certain factory underseat modifications that will be easy to do with a bit of thought, badly packed items stored under the seat could jam the movement mechanism in theory. No doubt I will make it work and modify it myself if worst comes to worst.

Outlaying so much folding stuff you need to feel as if your business counts. Currently I don't get the warm and fluffies from Jayco. It seems everything is just too hard for them and all they want to offer is bog-standard fare. For a $60K spend I was expecting a bit more enthusiasm from the dealer and manufacturer.

Frosty - that's disappointing to hear, which Jayco dealership?

Peakay

May 14, 2013
Ballarat
Hey Peakay..... Looking Good!

What will you be towing it with?

2012 D40 Navara 2.5L

Not sure where you're based (Geelong have both in the yard) but try and see both models in the flesh before you make a call. There are plenty of people happy with the slide out but we only have young kids so the extra seating space didn't matter so much to us plus the extra weight and loss of most of the storage. The slide out still has drawers under the seats I'm pretty sure so it's not a total loss of storage but it does push the battery into the boot.

Hey Alan they must slug you guys a fairbit over in the west. We got ours for under 50k including the extras above....

James Jackson

May 7, 2013
Ordered today!!

Thanks for all the input guys, i gave each idea some thought, used some and didn't others.

The shopping list.....
  • 20.63-1 without slide out (it just didn't seem to give any extra room as the 300mm or so that it extended out was taken up by the 300mm bigger lounge)
  • extended drawbar
  • gas bayonet - they won't fit 2 any more due to gas regs
  • extra light forward of the main door
  • jockey wheel moved to inside A frame
  • external shower
  • 150w solar kit
  • antenna and provision for tv
  • privacy screen
  • few extra 12v points
  • ESC
  • shelves in the robe
  • Full annex
  • Drifter control panel
  • aux battery
  • stuck with the double bunks and got the bed conversion for the main table
I was able to buy local in the end as they were substantially cheaper than Melb and Geelong! Thanks again for all your help!

Many congrats indeed and happy camping! Can I please ask what the rational was for moving the jockey wheel inside the A frame was? Also putting in extra lights - did you look at this in the dark and work out that there wasn't the light you were hoping for? Just not something I would have thought of asking for - great pick up!

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Alan, our 18.57-7 slide-out still leaves a bit of useable under seat storage, but the slide-out mechanism takes up quite a bit of room. I like the slide-out on our model as it gives us significantly more "useable" space opposite kitchen.

Reactions: skippy

Peakay

May 14, 2013
Ballarat
Many congrats indeed and happy camping! Can I please ask what the rational was for moving the jockey wheel inside the A frame was? Also putting in extra lights - did you look at this in the dark and work out that there wasn't the light you were hoping for? Just not something I would have thought of asking for - great pick up!

G'day James - thanks mate, I read on another thread that the extra light negates the need for rope lights in the annex. I've never owned a van before so this is educated guess work! I asked for the jockey wheel to be moved so that its out of the way of the weight distribution bars.

Reactions: James Jackson

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au

Thanks Bushman for clarifying the 12pin hot-wire in your setup.
Our anderson setup is split so that it is hot to the fridge as well as charging the battery.
Cheers
Ants

JaycoQ

Jan 7, 2013
Highton, Geelong, Vic
on the space under the seats, we pick our new 20.63OB on the weekend, finally after a 4 month wait!!!
i requested a hatch (cost about $140) from the factory to access the under lounge area from the outside. i checked this out last weekend and although the battery and waterpipes run through this area, there is still some useable space, without having to lay over the table, pulling up cushions.

gspy4u

Apr 27, 2012
Ipswich
could always tell them you will cancel the order if they don't change things, they can't keep you money and you can change your mind if they stuff you around

meandher (a frost)

Mar 21, 2013
The Vines, WA
Unfortunately JaycoQ, they flatly refused to put any extra external hatches whatsoever anywhere and wouldn't do an Anderson plug either. They recommended not to put in extra batteries, neither increase the size of the solar unit, nor put in a slide out bbq, wouldn't entertain any other kind of hitch other han the one that comes with the 'van as standard.

As we were putting in benchspace with cupboards in lieu of the bunks, we decided to put the washing m/c in the back corner of the van and because it was virtually an alcove with the wardrobe right next to it, you could not see the buttons on the m/c with it fixed to the side of the 'van and the sales guy howled when I wanted it turned 90 degrees and fixed to the back of the van so that you could see what buttons were being pressed. To his credit he has contacted Jayco and they have acquiesced that they will make that change. At least someone is seeing sense.

It hasn't been the most pleasant of transactions so far and isn't setting he scene all that well if there are issues on handover. Perhaps this is payback for getting an extra $5K for our trade by selling privately :)

If you can possibly get me some pics of the inside of the slideout and give me an idea of what I may be able to do myself it would be appreciated. I guess I am more annoyed about attitudes more than anything else and won't even repeat in this forum as to what was said about why they won't step away too far from standard as it would perhaps cause a major labour incident at the factory.

I am sure it will all turn out okay in the end and remain optimistic on that score.

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
on the space under the seats, we pick our new 20.63OB on the weekend, finally after a 4 month wait!!!
i requested a hatch (cost about $140) from the factory to access the under lounge area from the outside. i checked this out last weekend and although the battery and waterpipes run through this area, there is still some useable space, without having to lay over the table, pulling up cushions.

JaycoQ any chance of some photos of the hatch and the inside of the useable area?

Skippy