20.63-1

Peakay

May 14, 2013
Ballarat
G'day I'm greener at this caravaning venture than a 16yr old jackaroo form the city! so i'm probably going to repeat a few things that have been said in earlier threads because I don't have 2 weeks to trawl through them all. I've already picked up a lot of good pointers.

We were just about to order a new 20.63-1 when i found this forum. The salesman i'm dealing with is a bit of a yes man so i don't know what is worth getting and what is not! We've got 2 kids under 3 with another on the way so a caravan seemed like the only i was going to get mum out of the house over the next few years. I've always camped so this will be a bit of a luxury but i'm not sure how far to take it. (do i option in the bidet?) JJ

We went for the thumper because we wanted the kids to have their own bed but they have the option to jump in with us if the boogie man follows us on holidays or just for cuddles. we were looking at the starcraft 22.68 but the main bed was too short and narrow. anyway enough of us here is our wish list

• 20.63-1 on road model as we'll prob only stop at caravan parks until the kids are a bit older Not going for the slide out, it didn't seem to offer much extra room
  • under slung axle
  • External gas bayonet
  • Fold down side table
  • Aux Battery
  • Triple bunks
  • Control panel (not drifter)
  • Privacy screen
  • Full annex (add a room)
  • Camera on the van - this will plug straight into the current ARB reverse camera on the ute with 2 channels in the screen
Question marks are over the following items
  • ESC - I think its worthwhile
  • WDH - Do i need this with the above?
  • extra 12v plugs - what else do you use other than a phone that needs these?
  • TV & Antenna - for $800 i can buy an iPad with change
  • extended drawbar - not sure if i want to lengthen this
The tug is a D40 Nav, the captain is a 33yr old father of almost 3 with no caravan towing experience but i do tow up to 3t for work behind the Nav so I know that trailers are like animals and kids, you love em but cant always trust em!

Not after an essay but any response you have that may help me from getting divorced on the first outing or swearing at my local dealer would be much appreciated!!
cheers

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Gday Kerry and welcome, i`m not sure on esc and the wdh but i would be using the wdh if they are compatible just to level it out and put weight on the front wheels. The van is long already but the extended drawbar is handy if you are going to put a toolbox on later (it may be harder to get onto some powered sites though). Go the wind up aerial even if you drop the tv off the list and get your own through kogan or elsewhere. Jayco were runing a entertainment deal with stereo ext speakers and aerial and tv, you might be able to haggle a bit, all your other things look good. The extra 12v points will come in handy with the ipods/ipads and such, cheers

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
H Kerry, welcome, From one father of three to another, just a note on the triple bunks. They are very tight! If you haven't already, try to get a physical look at triple. This is what turned me away from the 20.63. The kids would be constantly sitting up and banging their heads. they would learn, but it also restricts the use of teh kids beds as a place for them to chill out during the day......But I love the 20.63 so much!
We went with the 17.56, becuase it gives you the extra bed out the back. There is also an 18 version but I can't remember the number. about the same porce as the 20.
Just my 2c.
As for extended drawbar. for the $300 it gives you the space to add a toolbox, or Weber q storage box! Go for it.

Peakay

May 14, 2013
Ballarat
Thanks for the input guys, will be using the tips you've put up.

We originally looked at the 17.56-2 but weren't sure about the poptop in wind, storms and the smaller storage. we'll be heavy on the luggage with all 3 in nappies! so the extra storage and larger ensuite in the 20 was what we liked. we really liked the 18 as that was what was on display at the local dealer. but the 18 seemed to be light on in the storage cupboards, then we found the 20 when we drove to Geelong for a look around at the jayco dealer down there and thought it had everything.

I know what you're saying about the triples, but the little bloke wouldn't be able to get out of bed as he's only just walking so the triple seemed like a good idea. Plus we could use the top bunk as a place to store things being used through the day rather than the table!

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Welcome Kerry, your list sounds good as well as above opinions, how about external outlets for the tv....antenna and 12v. I'm a fan of 12v outlets, better to get most accessories in 12v, then if you do go off grid your all set! Hope all goes well with your order.

Cheers.

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Hey and :welcome: to the forum

Sounds like a good list of things to have. :)

I wish i had put 2 external bayonets on our van, one front and one back so when cooking with wind about or just different setups it can makes things a bit easier.

Extra power points inside. Have a good think about what items you might want to plug in.
With your 12volt plugs, are you going to free camp? If so, again have a think about the items that you can get 12volt adapters for. This might change the way you think about 12volt - just watch the amount of power that items may draw.

WDH - would highly recommend this especially with a heavier van. It will put your front wheels back on the ground and also limit some of the sideways movement you can experience.

ESC: I have not towed with this but have read that it is really really good from the safety standpoint, maybe another member has used it?

TV and Antenna: we have an antenna but have never used it yet. Just don't have time when we are away. However, for resale it will help.

Thats about it from me.
One other thing in case you have not read it. Cruza Driver put a post up the other day in regards to a recall on the Navaras here

Cheers and happy caravaning. :)

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Welcome Kerry.
after watching the video on the al-ko website for the ESC it had me convinced and wishing I had one.
All I could think of as I watched the video is how I would react making an evasive maneuver at speed. Especially the bigger vans. And then realizing how much more comfortable I would feel if that ESC was on. For me it was another way of making the family safe in dangerous situations. So I will be retrofitting the ESC.

greynt

Dec 15, 2012
Yarra Valley
G'day Kerry, and welcome, agree with what the others have said. Can't comment on the ESC but would use WDH as a must. I noticed that you have a D40, a few days ago cruza driver posted a thread on a recall to do with their towbars. I think that you will find you need a Hayman Reece towbar not the Nissan one to use WDH. I would go the extented draw bar as well. Maybe think about extra power points near the bunks and also near the dining table. Solar panels on the roof, extra batteries etc. get as bigger fridge as you can as well. External gas bayonets as well for the bbq as suggested. Extra outside lights, the list of extras is endless:)
Cheers
greynt

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
G'day Kerry, Welcome. A WDH on the Navara with that size van is a must, the ball weight will be quite high and will cause a fair amount of instability when towing, the WDH will help to stabilise and make the towing experience more enjoyable. TV and antenna seem like an expensive option however, will repay you on resale. We don't use the TV a lot on weekenders but do on long trips for some quiet time. Good luck with the purchase.

:tea: Cracka

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Oh yeah, 2 extras as mentioned that i'm glad we ordered was an extra annexe light and the 186L fridge/ freezer!

Peakay

May 14, 2013
Ballarat
Thanks Guys. I checked out the recall. Mines 2012 so it missed the recall, i'll check it out though. i've got a 60L engel and 35L waeco that already ride in the ute as a fridge / freezer duo. I'm thinking of getting both the WDH and the ESC, for $900 its cheap assurance that things won't get crossed up if something surprises me out front. Spoke with the CEO last night and she agreed that the 3 bunks would be restrictive for the kids to sit up, so its back to 2. I already run a 100ah duel battery in the ute, would i really need more than 1 in the van? so i'm adding solar, extra points near table and bunks and near the fold down table, antenna + Kogan tv, extra gas bayonet, WDH, ESC, and extended drawbar. This forum is extremely helpful especially for the new comers to the scene, thank you all.

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Hey Kerry

We only have 1 battery in our van and it is sufficient for what we do. We don't have solar but do have 2 batteries in the car not that these are used for the van. We only free camp for around 4 - 6 nights at a time (however towing in between so charging occurs).

Its certainly good to get everything you think you will need at van purchase stage as this is then added to the weight of the van rather than taking up valuable payload thereafter. :)

Cheers
Ants

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Well done Kerry and welcome to the forum. It really seems you will have a very well kitted out van and tug. I run a D22 Navara, use a WDH, have a dual battery in it and a 110AH battery in the van and a 120W portable solar panel. With the van kitted out with LED's all round we have never had a power problem free camping.

Andrewm02

Feb 25, 2013
Bungendore
G'day I'm greener at this caravaning venture than a 16yr old jackaroo form the city! so i'm probably going to repeat a few things that have been said in earlier threads because I don't have 2 weeks to trawl through them all. I've already picked up a lot of good pointers.

We were just about to order a new 20.63-1 when i found this forum. The salesman i'm dealing with is a bit of a yes man so i don't know what is worth getting and what is not! We've got 2 kids under 3 with another on the way so a caravan seemed like the only i was going to get mum out of the house over the next few years. I've always camped so this will be a bit of a luxury but i'm not sure how far to take it. (do i option in the bidet?) JJ

We went for the thumper because we wanted the kids to have their own bed but they have the option to jump in with us if the boogie man follows us on holidays or just for cuddles. we were looking at the starcraft 22.68 but the main bed was too short and narrow. anyway enough of us here is our wish list

• 20.63-1 on road model as we'll prob only stop at caravan parks until the kids are a bit older Not going for the slide out, it didn't seem to offer much extra room
  • under slung axle
  • External gas bayonet
  • Fold down side table
  • Aux Battery
  • Triple bunks
  • Privacy screen
  • Camera on the van - this will plug straight into the current ARB reverse camera on the ute with 2 channels in the screen

The tug is a D40 Nav, the captain is a 33yr old father of almost 3 with no caravan towing experience but i do tow up to 3t for work behind the Nav so I know that trailers are like animals and kids, you love em but cant always trust em!

Not after an essay but any response you have that may help me from getting divorced on the first outing or swearing at my local dealer would be much appreciated!!
cheers

Hi Kerry,
We have ordered the same van in Outback trim Which is due end of july. We have optioned it up heavily including slideout, washing machine and extended draw bar. The main reason we went for the slide out was your table is almost double the size.

One of the things I would recommend changing is the single 240 points in the bunks to doubles And extra power points near the tv.

Also if you haven't done so already ring a number of dealers as you will be amazed at the deals they can do.

cheers Andrew

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Thanks Guys. I checked out the recall. Mines 2012 so it missed the recall, i'll check it out though. i've got a 60L engel and 35L waeco that already ride in the ute as a fridge / freezer duo. I'm thinking of getting both the WDH and the ESC, for $900 its cheap assurance that things won't get crossed up if something surprises me out front. Spoke with the CEO last night and she agreed that the 3 bunks would be restrictive for the kids to sit up, so its back to 2. I already run a 100ah duel battery in the ute, would i really need more than 1 in the van? so i'm adding solar, extra points near table and bunks and near the fold down table, antenna + Kogan tv, extra gas bayonet, WDH, ESC, and extended drawbar. This forum is extremely helpful especially for the new comers to the scene, thank you all.

No worries mate, we've already cost you money......aren't you glad you joined! :)

Reactions: skippy

xpanda

Apr 28, 2013
Gippsland

• under slung axle
  • External gas bayonet
  • Fold down side table
  • Aux Battery
  • Triple bunks
  • Privacy screen

cheers

Hi Kerry

We have been looking at the 20 OB ( without slide out) as well, but we have have a NT Pajero & are having second thoughts due to the van weight & ball weight.

How does the Navara stack up in regard to tow capacity?

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
:welcome: Kerry
Sounds like a nice van. Very exciting times.
Did you look at the base station? We have 3 kids (a little older) and love the idea of letting them loose in the back area, having the front to ourselves. Just and idea.

Also, has anyone mentioned outdoor shower? I couldn't live without ours. So handy.

Re batteries, we have 1 only with solar and I cant seem to drain it. Not yet camped in severe overcast conditions but it just seems to charge so quickly.

I wouldn't think twice abuot the ESC. I will definitely get it on my next van if not retro fit this one.

Was AC on your list or is that standard now?

Good luck with the purchase. You wont regret it.

Peakay

May 14, 2013
Ballarat
Thanks again! I had a quiet afternoon so the wife and I ducked over to Bayswater to check out a 20.63 without the slide that they had in the yard ready to deliver (prob to one of you!)

Andrew - Double check your table sizes, Ive now seen 4 20.63's 3 with slide outs and one without and the table in the non slide model was twice the size!! After looking at this van today the slide out looks like a complete waste of money, you prob get room around the table for 2 extra kids but the table is only 1m square so it would even make playing poker hard!! Not to mention that the battery has to go into the boot and you lose alot of the storage under the seats. tread your own path mate but the ones ive seen have locked us into the non slide model. I'm getting 3 quotes, before i pull the trigger. I just hope the local dealer looks after me, but i won't hesitate to go elsewhere if he doesn't

Relgate - AC is standard and can't see the benefit in upgrading to an IBIS for $900 to get climate control and a remote. ESC is def on the list.
Looked at the base station briefly but the bunks are a little spartan for the kids, plus i'd be worried about opening the door to find the back end of the van missing or on fire or something!! lol! Outdoor shower might get a mention over lunch tomorrow i reckon , thanks mate

Xpanda - The nav has a dealer fit towbar and its rated at 3t with 300kg towball weight. theres no mistaking that its a big van but every time we reconsider, we come back to it as it just has everything! the OB adds 200kg and the dealer i spoke with said that the OB version won't tow as well as the on road version. he reckons that the higher tyre walls and the higher van is not as stable.

Antman, Chartrock - Thanks for the input, i was thinking of a 300w solar kit but then found out today the vans don't come with an inverter! so now i'm thinking that there is no need for a big solar system. bloody hell i would have thought in this day and age an inverter would be a no brainer, that way you could camp anywhere regardless of powered sites and what not. anyhow, like i've said i'm pretty green.