20.63-1

Andrewm02

Feb 25, 2013
Bungendore
Gday All,

Great forum,

I am about to bite the bullet and order a new 20.63-1 outback. This will be an upgrade from our 2011 Swan outback. The swan has been great but it is time for some luxury.

Options I have penciled in so far are:

slide out section for club lounge
Ibis Aircon
A frame extension (to carry my dirt bike) ;-))
External gas bayonet to drawbar
hyland hitch
100ah battery
privacy screens
wind up antenna
185L fridge
cd/stereo with external speakers
drifter control panel, the digital one.
bike rack on rear
privacy screen for roll out awning

I did think about the simplicity suspension but we do not do any hardcore off road

Is there anything else you can think of?

I want to make sure I get it right the first time. I don't want to get it and then workout I missed something.

Any feedback would be welcome.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Sounds like she will be a beauty!!!!

What about a water filter???

Not sure how many people get them but we love having clean filtered water at the sink tap!!!!

Make sure you have enough power points internally to as this can be easily over looked.

Get in the van and see where you would put eveything and if there is power points where you would put them as its alot cheaper to add them when ordering vs after :)!

Also what about an external picnic table, external power point and tv antena in the awning area so you can setup the tv outside?

One other thing maybe a trunk door somewhere to get access to an inside area....

Just a few things that comes to mind :)...

I am sure a few others will chip in to!

And welcome :welcome: make sure you keep us posted!!!

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Looking good. With your list and Expanda's suggestions you'll be we'll on your way. What about a solar panel (roof or folding) ?
At least have van wired for solar. You don't have to venture off-road to enjoy a bit of free camping.

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
Hey Andrew

What about the slide out BBQ and maybe a light on the none door side for those late set ups in the dark.

Skip

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Welcome!

As Expanda said power points, much cheaper to get fitted now by Jayco than down the track when you realise you need more than you thought. We are looking to add some to our 16.49-1. We want to add a double at each end near the bed ends and a double near the lounge. It's jaw dropping when you add up all the things that need regular charging.

Another would be a mounted TV. I'm assuming that's on you list because you getting the wind up antenna! If not at least get Jayco to strengthen the wall where you would want a TV bracket mounted in the future.

Good luck with the purchase!

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
G'day Andrew,

maybe an extra power point and a 12V outlet for each bunk so the kids can watch their portable dvd's in bed or charge ipod's or laptops etc and not disturb you and the missus, not sure if they include lights for each bunk but they are a good thing too for reading, I notice a few people are getting an extra gas bayonet at the back of their vans, the baby q's seem to be all the rage.

Have fun with the new van

Dave

Andrewm02

Feb 25, 2013
Bungendore
Hi everyone

Thanks for the ideas. Extra power points is definately something I have thought about. It comes pre wired for solar so will fit some panels later and not keen on the BBQ, already have a weber Q.

One problem I think I might have is overall weight. I have a new pajero that is rated to 3t but it looks like I will be close on towball weight which if over 180kgs will reduce permitted load to 2.5t.

The expanda brochure quotes 155kg for the OB but I reckon that could be a typo as the touring model is 171kg and I couldn't image the outback being lighter, and once it is optioned up it will only get worse.

Will speak to the dealer tomorrow to see what I can work out.

Xpress

Mar 8, 2013
Hey Andrew

New van looks great, particularly with the options you are looking at - very jealous on the dirt bike front. I trust you will squeeze the local dealer nice and hard on this one given like me this is your second purchase in the last 12 or so months. Looking forward to the long walk to check it out when it arrives.

Cheers
SP

Andrewm02

Feb 25, 2013
Bungendore
Hey Andrew

New van looks great, particularly with the options you are looking at - very jealous on the dirt bike front. I trust you will squeeze the local dealer nice and hard on this one given like me this is your second purchase in the last 12 or so months. Looking forward to the long walk to check it out when it arrives.

Cheers
SP
Hey SP, at this stage looks like we will be heading to Vic for the new one. Would love to keep my money local but so far they are not even close.

Xpress

Mar 8, 2013
No worries mate, thought the penny would drop. Definitely worth shopping around IMO. The difference in prices between the dealers was much more than I thought it would be when I went through the exercise for the 17.56. Plus if have to go interstate to pick it up you can make a holiday of it.

Hopefully you get the weight stuff sorted for the Pajero otherwise you will also have to put the order in for an upgraded tug as well :)

Tayla

Mar 9, 2013
Melbourne, Victoria
i love the slide out lounge and the extra space. If I was spending the money on one of these vans I would definitely be getting the slide out lounge :)

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
I Andrew, sound like you ticked all the boxes for the new van, with some suggestions from others to help lightend the wallet,
The slide-out while giving that extra room will make the van heavy.

With the tow weight of the PJ, Up to 2.5 ton total weight of the van (loaded) it's 250kg on the ball weight, If the loaded weight goes over 2.5 ton and anywhere up to the max of 3 ton that's when your ball weight reduces to 180 kg.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Andrew if I was spending your money I would get it ;) but for us, we dont spend the time inside, we sit outside a lot of the time.

The one at the show seemed nice and it was also leather.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
we sit outside mostly too, but when we do sit inside (when the mozzies are out in force) the table is ridiculously small for the 5 of us to sit at. I thought the slide out was a good size, but list price of $2288 (plus $2063 for the leather) is a lot of coin...