15 amp Caravan leads

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
I would suggest that if someone was to use one (regardless of actual legality, personal knowledge or anything else) please be careful. As always, an insurer will look for any way to avoid a payout. If an adapter plug was found to be the cause, there could be serious ramifications, more than just insurance.

From my understanding, the real risk isn't the lead or plug or even the van, but the wall socket of the relatives or friends that we plugged into. Can we be certain of the wiring behind the wall? Most houses are now wired with 20 amp wiring and double 10 amp plugs which *should* be fine, but many older houses had wiring of a lesser standard. Plugging in to these, (or even a newer house) *could* overload the circuit, *could* melt a wire, socket, switchboard etc etc. (Sparkies correct me if wrong, it's been a while since I worked with power and circuits)

Please all, be wise and careful!!

Andrew

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Also, IIRC that if you are connected to a 10 amp socket anywhere (home, friends etc) then I don't think most A/C systems will run.
I noticed on my old van prior to having a dedicated 15 amp outlet installed where I store my van, I would use a home made adapter and the A/C power light would not illuminate, but once connected to the 15 amp circuit it would.
This may have been just for this van (BTW, it wasn't a Jayco) and not my Expanda as I've had the 15 amp outlet prior to getting my Expanda.

drewy

May 29, 2011
South East Melbourne
The wiring and sockets in your building are safe, the fuses or circuit breakers are rated to protect the building cabling and sockets/fixed appliances etc. If you were to overload a circuit with a plug in appliance (toaster/kettle/caravan etc) the circuit breaker or fuse will become the weakest link and save the day.

If you are concerned about the wiring behind the wall of a 10amp socket the same concern could be had for wiring behind a 15amp socket. All of these concerns are healthy and as is common knowledge electricity needs to be treated with respect, it pays to have your home given the once over by a qualified electrician regularly, great piece of mind.

GLX-R

Mar 9, 2011
Kyneton, Vic
Hmmmm,

Replied to another thread on similar lines before seeing this thread. That's what you get being away from the forum for a while!!

As I put in my other reply, the best advice I got on this was that (while not technically the "right" way), using an 10 - 15 amp adaptor for small stuff over short periods is not a real problem. The issue is more apparent if you are going to load up your van's electrics while on a 10 amp power point. So, if you are going to use the van (family/friends visiting & staying in the van) etc while it is parked at home then a proper 15 amp point is a must.

Stew

Reactions: mfexpanda

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
As I put in my other reply, the best advice I got on this was that (while not technically the "right" way), using an 10 - 15 amp adaptor for small stuff over short periods is not a real problem. The issue is more apparent if you are going to load up your van's electrics while on a 10 amp power point. So, if you are going to use the van (family/friends visiting & staying in the van) etc while it is parked at home then a proper 15 amp point is a must.

Stew

I agree and thats what I do at home