15 amp Caravan leads

RussLee29

Aug 15, 2011
Melbourne
Hi,
After reading this forum I came across a discussion regarding 15amp caravan leads and how to overcome the problem pugging into regular household power points.

I have a 15amp lead which I have fitted a 10amp plug to enable the lead to plug in to a standard power point. What problems am I likely to encounter with this set up? Is it legal?

I hope this is not a stupid question.:doh: I have had this lead and used it for some time now with our soon to be traded Hawk and I'm thinking I should get a new lead a maybe one of those Amp fibians or the like.

Thanks in anticipation
Russell

salsimo

Mar 14, 2011
Vic sthest Melbourne
The circuit breaker on the house should be 10amp and that is to protect the house wiring ,so house is ok.the earth pin is not the same size on the plug you have installed ,it would be best to have a small lead for home with this 10amp plug on it and the correct lead for when your out and about.When you home your not likely to be running every thing at once like when in a park.if make up a lead it is very important not to get active and crossed over

Reactions: RussLee29

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
We use an Ampfibian after hearing of overheating and fires with home made leads. I'm not a sparky, but I believe electricity is to be respected so went the safe route. If your van is newish it will have an RCD fitted, so you will need the cheaper of the 2. About $180 - no probs with ours and certainly cheaper than having a 15 amp power point fitted to your house.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Russ Lee
It's certainly illegal, very common though. I tend just use a proper lead when in parks.

Sal you should find that your household CB is bigger than 10amps, they are usually 20amp to carry the overall circuit, general power circuit wiring in houses is 2.5mmsq and is good for 28 amps iirc.

Bank of Dad what's an Ampfibian ?

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Check out www.ampfibian.com.au or 1800 342426

It is a legal 15 amp to 10 amp adapter.

The RV-02 (Orange Coloured) has RCD and Overload Protection.

The RV-01 (Red Coloured) has Overload Protection.

If your van already has RCD then you only need RV-01.

Reactions: achjimmy

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
I have one the original ampfibians, much bulkier the the current one, which came out just after I got mine.

The beauty of them is if you go away and stay a with friends/relos you can still plug in.

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
The beauty of them is if you go away and stay a with friends/relos you can still plug in.

That's what I like about them too.

Also they are safe and legal, so if your van does get damaged your insurance company can't argue about the connection you used!

richard

Jun 9, 2011
Check the ampfibian site and then check for your local supplier. I actually went into our local supplier today to get one of these and he had never heard of them. I think they are well worth their money especially as Bushman says you can plug in anywhere then without a problem.

NissPat

Jul 30, 2011
ACT
I have a 15amp lead which I have fitted a 10amp plug to enable the lead to plug in to a standard power point. What problems am I likely to encounter with this set up? Is it legal?

Definitely illegal and if you are plugged in at a caravan park and drawing more then 10amps you are risking the plug (10a rated) to fail melt or catch on fire. I believe the parks power sources are protected by 16amp breaker

These Ampfibian is a legal device that I know of at present, but I'm sure there are a few on the market now...

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Check out www.ampfibian.com.au or 1800 342426

It is a legal 15 amp to 10 amp adapter.

The RV-02 (Orange Coloured) has RCD and Overload Protection.

The RV-01 (Red Coloured) has Overload Protection.

If your van already has RCD then you only need RV-01.

Thanks What a great invention, another thing to buy and carry!

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
I purchased ours from the Caravan Super Centre here in Melbourne.

I know Bayswater Jayco sell them so I assume most Jayco dealers would also.

They don't weigh very much either so no big deal to carry in the van.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
When we got the Swan, we were actually given a caravan lead - 15 amp plugs at both end - and a short 15 amp - 10 amp adapter (about 300mm long) to go with it. Never used it, but also never gave it a second thought, as I thought it was ok. (Yes, I now know it is an illegal lead with two different plug ends)

Easiest way to question the legality of something like that - if a caravan accessories shop doesn't stock it, it probably isn't legal!

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
Definitely illegal and if you are plugged in at a caravan park and drawing more then 10amps you are risking the plug (10a rated) to fail melt or catch on fire.
I am not really going to get into this age old argugent/discussion too much. The only difference between a 10amp plug and a 15a plug is the earth pin being larger, this is to prevent 15a leads being plugged into a circuit designed for 10amps. Generally when you have a 15a circuit it is supplied by 2.5mm2 cable upwards (depending on many factors) 10amp leads have 1mm2 cable good for 10amps, 15amp leads use cable 1.5mm2 cable good for 15amps. Unfortunately it does become illegal if you modify these leads, but I am sure If you ask any sparky he will say it will be ok to put a 10A plug on a 15amp lead but definately not the reverse.((((EDIT forgot for old camper)))) I have got a 15amp lead with a 10A male plug for home use (((no longer as caravan will use more than camper)))), although I do have a 15a power point near the van. Those devices that have been identified above are a money spinner but a necessary one in van parks and the like. Its gets really confusing and as long as your lead is being protected by the correct fuse you are safe. Something to get you thinking, generally these days most household power circuits are protected by a 20A Circuit Breaker, which is protecting the 2.5mm cable supplying all your power points on that circuit. When you plug in your normal 10A lead (like everyone does) effectivly the 1mm2 cable (suitable for 10A generally) is being protected by a device 10A higher.:wacko:

PS I am a sparky (don't tell anybody)

Reactions: Bank of Dad

Ben

Aug 22, 2011
Mandurah, WA
Bigman,

Just want to make sure I get this right. If I plug my 15amp cord with ten amp plug into the house I will take the risk of overloading the house wiring and possible fire? Have used this plug for years on the OB hawk but when we get the new 18.57-9 the possibilities are there for me to " burn the house down" so to speak. Of to ebay I go, again!

Cheers Ben

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
moranbahweather.com
Bigman,

If I plug my 15amp cord with ten amp plug into the house I will take the risk of overloading the house wiring and possible fire?

Depending on how old your house is and what the fuse rating is, but generally no. Your house wiring for power should be 2.5mm, whereas your 15amp lead is 1.5mm. And the house should be protected by a 20amp or 16amp fuse/circuit breaker. Assuming you draw the maximum amount through your 15 amp lead (unlikely) you house can cover that load. It’s just a Leccy thing that all the cable should be the same size and protected by an adequate fuse/circuit breaker, but leads are classed as an appliance technically. It gets really tricky and complicated, and heaps of people even leccys have different opinions depending on their experience/experiences.

NissPat

Jul 30, 2011
ACT
I am not really going to get into this age old argugent/discussion too much. The only difference between a 10amp plug and a 15a plug is the earth pin being larger, this is to prevent 15a leads being plugged into a circuit designed for 10amps. Generally when you have a 15a circuit it is supplied by 2.5mm2 cable upwards (depending on many factors) 10amp leads have 1mm2 cable good for 10amps, 15amp leads use cable 1.5mm2 cable good for 15amps. Unfortunately it does become illegal if you modify these leads, but I am sure If you ask any sparky he will say it will be ok to put a 10A plug on a 15amp lead but definately not the reverse. I have got a 15amp lead with a 10A male plug for home use, although I do have a 15a power point near the van. Those devices that have been identified above are a money spinner but a necessary one in van parks and the like. Its gets really confusing and as long as your lead is being protected by the correct fuse you are safe. Something to get you thinking, generally these days most household power circuits are protected by a 20A Circuit Breaker, which is protecting the 2.5mm cable supplying all your power points on that circuit. When you plug in your normal 10A lead (like everyone does) effectivly the 1mm2 cable (suitable for 10A generally) is being protected by a device 10A higher.:wacko:

Hey Bigman, I agree with what you're saying but advocating to someone that illegal installations are Ok who is not sure what electricity and current is all about, I strongly disagree with. As a sparky you should be the first person to point out the safety aspect and other implications first.
Maybe instead of giving them a lot of information they don't understand we should just simply point out it is not right and there are devices to do a proper job under I think it is AS /NZS 3001:2008 standards. Just remember there are insurance implications if your wiring is incorrect as well.

Hopefully I just misunderstood your post and if so I apologise but to me safety comes first.
I know lots of people and sparkies will modify their wiring as they understand the consequences.

Anyway hope the OP makes the right decision

Cheers

gavin.davis59

Mar 21, 2011
Naracoorte.SA
Another alternative.Buy a weatherproof 15amp power outlet on ebay(about $25)then pay a sparky to fit outlet and circuit breaker next to home fuseboard(saves on cable/conduit etc).We had this done to cover all bases like battery charging,general "playing"(wife speak 4 modifications)or spare room if required without having concerns about possible power issues.All up cost $120.

RussLee29

Aug 15, 2011
Melbourne
I am not really going to get into this age old argugent/discussion too much. The only difference between a 10amp plug and a 15a plug is the earth pin being larger, this is to prevent 15a leads being plugged into a circuit designed for 10amps. Generally when you have a 15a circuit it is supplied by 2.5mm2 cable upwards (depending on many factors) 10amp leads have 1mm2 cable good for 10amps, 15amp leads use cable 1.5mm2 cable good for 15amps. Unfortunately it does become illegal if you modify these leads, but I am sure If you ask any sparky he will say it will be ok to put a 10A plug on a 15amp lead but definately not the reverse. I have got a 15amp lead with a 10A male plug for home use, although I do have a 15a power point near the van. Those devices that have been identified above are a money spinner but a necessary one in van parks and the like. Its gets really confusing and as long as your lead is being protected by the correct fuse you are safe. Something to get you thinking, generally these days most household power circuits are protected by a 20A Circuit Breaker, which is protecting the 2.5mm cable supplying all your power points on that circuit. When you plug in your normal 10A lead (like everyone does) effectivly the 1mm2 cable (suitable for 10A generally) is being protected by a device 10A higher.:wacko:

Hey Bigman,
Thanks for your post.
This reminds me of the conversation I had with my Sparky neighbor when I first had my 15 amp lead and had no where to plug in at home. He explained it pretty much as you have and has reminded me why I had no problems with it even though it is illegal. I will probably get myself another 15amp lead for use in parks and keep the modded one for home.

Thanks to everyone for their opinions on this subject. as always its best to be safe.

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
moranbahweather.com
Hey Bigman, I agree with what you're saying but advocating to someone that illegal installations are Ok who is not sure what electricity and current is all about, I strongly disagree with. As a sparky you should be the first person to point out the safety aspect and other implications first.
Maybe instead of giving them a lot of information they don't understand we should just simply point out it is not right and there are devices to do a proper job under I think it is AS /NZS 3001:2008 standards. Just remember there are insurance implications if your wiring is incorrect as well.

Hopefully I just misunderstood your post and if so I apologise but to me safety comes first.
I know lots of people and sparkies will modify their wiring as they understand the consequences.

Anyway hope the OP makes the right decision

Cheers

Purely informational, and i did explain what I have done at my place as a sparky. Still indicated that it is illegal and that the products discussed earlier should be used.
Sorry for any confusion

Cheers,

Unfortunately it does become illegal if you modify these leads, but I am sure If you ask any sparky he will say it will be ok to put a 10A plug on a 15amp lead but definately not the reverse.EDIT: I used to have a 15amp lead with a 10A male plug for home use, although I do have a 15a power point near the van. Those devices that have been identified above are a money spinner but a necessary one in van parks and the like.

EDIT:
BUT BUT BUT
:hand:Before we get into any heated discussions, I stongly recommend you follow the regulations and the law. And Agree that a little bit of info in the wrong hands can be dangerous.
Please use the devices discussed above if you have to use a 10A outlet to supply your van, But the ideal situation would be a 15A outlet installed for your van. You can get the 15A outlet installed in your switchboard (if room available) reducing costs (by a qualified sparky of course). :pray:

P.S: I was drinking RUM when i posted the first post, forgot that common sense does not exist anymore....:behindsofa:

drewy

May 29, 2011
South East Melbourne
As a fellow sparky, I normally try and stay out of these discussions because of the legalities, however I recall Rays Outdoors in the past selling 10amp to 15amp short adaptor leads on the shelf. Prior to this I was also of the belief that they were illegal, I won't recommend anyone make one of these adaptors but they are very handy if you pull up at a site (friend’s house) with only a 10amp outlet.