14' Series 14.44-4 Mattress

Prydey

Apr 24, 2018
Woodcroft, Adelaide.
We've found the difference in firmness between the thicker section closest to the interior and the thinner section that sits on the fold out base, is substantial. The thicker section is noticeably softer. This makes the join stand out quite a bit and it's made worse by the fact the join is not halfway.
We are thinking of adding some kind of topper but not sure this will be enough on its own to hide the join.
What have others done, if anything, to their fold out mattress end?
I'm wondering whether we can take the whole lot out and take it to a mattress manufacturer to see if they can improve it and make it more uniform across the width.
If a topper is used, I'd like one thin enough that it could stay in place when folding it up.

Thanks

Prydey

Apr 24, 2018
Woodcroft, Adelaide.
Our 2014 14.44-4OB mattress is a 50/50 split.
Oh, ok. I'm guessing the bed base is all the same level once the front is folded down?
The front on our 2013 model, when folded down, sits about 3 inches higher than the area above the front tunnel boot.
The mattress is actually 3 sections. Whoever designed it was obviously on the turps.

• Sad
Reactions: Boots in Action

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
Oh, ok. I'm guessing the bed base is all the same level once the front is folded down?
The front on our 2013 model, when folded down, sits about 3 inches higher than the area above the front tunnel boot.
The mattress is actually 3 sections. Whoever designed it was obviously on the turps.
Yes once the front is folded down it is all one level.

Prydey

Apr 24, 2018
Woodcroft, Adelaide.
We are planning a trip to Uluru in July so just revisiting this issue with the fold out bed.

I purchased a strip of 25mm closed cell foam, 2m x 0.5m, and lay it under the thicker section of mattress that sits above the front tunnel boot. This has helped to even up the 'feel' of each section and it now feels similar when rolling from the thinner section to the thicker section. There is still the tendency to roll toward the join though and the join is rather noticeable as well.

We have been recommended an everest memory foam topper from spotlight to hide the join.

I've also contacted a couple of mattress manufacturers but don't want to invest too heavily in this van as it's not a long term one, although improving the sleeping area will benefit any owner.

This is the mattress design in our van. 3 pieces zipped together. Well done Jayco, great design. We are thinking of taking the strip against the canvas out. Will test it on a couple of trips between now and July.
20230204_110553.jpg
this shows the strip of foam I added. There is still the area above the hinge that lacks support. I was thinking of adding a pool noodle cut in half, or some more foam in this area. Anyone done anything similar?
20230204_113459.jpg
20230204_110609.jpg
This pic above shows the height differences. It actually feels level when lying on it even though the thicker section is now slightly raised.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
We tried the topper and it seemed to work for Mrs D but limited by not being able to pack it up if we went too thick, ended up selling our 14.44 to have more room....