Interior Toilet Chemicals

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Sure is @bigcol .. Thetford chemicals you're looking at $20+ each for both lots. :)

Only ever pay about $14 a bottle................

And.....just remembered....

The napisan stuff is ok to dump into septic tank when you return home. Other Thetford stuff is not.

The Thetford stuff is actually okay for the Septic, the Formaldahyde story is a furphy...........our septic has had heaps tipped in it and all is good, just don't go overboard with the Nappisan, too strong a brew will upset the bugs in the septic just the same as cleaning the bowl too much with strong stuff.

Reactions: dagree

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Haven't ran across one of those signs yet @PhilD , used to use the formaldahyde brew in the dunnies on long distance coaches, phew ,would kill a dog for sure, horrible stuff.

Have heard some scary mixes some use to try and save 20 cents.

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
Only ever pay about $14 a bottle................

The Thetford stuff is actually okay for the Septic, the Formaldahyde story is a furphy...........our septic has had heaps tipped in it and all is good, just don't go overboard with the Nappisan, too strong a brew will upset the bugs in the septic just the same as cleaning the bowl too much with strong stuff.
Furphy or not it's up to the provider of the facilities to specify what they will allow and it's easier to just use what they will accept. Many just prohibit cassette emptying all together as they have no way of knowing what people are using. Then again many would just do it anyway and hope not to get caught or lie about it.

Reactions: dagree

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
Haven't ran across one of those signs yet @PhilD , used to use the formaldahyde brew in the dunnies on long distance coaches, phew ,would kill a dog for sure, horrible stuff.

Have heard some scary mixes some use to try and save 20 cents.
First was at Big4 Pt Willunga SA and the other behind the Bowls Club at Mathoura NSW.

Reactions: Drover

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
We had to declare which chemicals we use when getting key to dump point at several places.

Cania Gorge ( not the big park) was one where they wouldn't give the key...yes, a key for a dump point....unless they approved the chemical and Thetford was on the "no, no" list. Napisan wa approved.

It's interesting.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Another thing we've learned, while on this nosy topic.

Always carry an old but short hose with fittings so you don't have to resort to your good clean hose when someone has nicked the hose at the dump point.

They must have been desperate.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Or the water from the dump point tap.....yuk!

Our extra bit of old hose travels outside the van always. One day I'll donate it to a worthy recipient.

Reactions: dagree and Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
There's was a big thing about the Thetford stuff being a nasty mix, which it probably was 25yrs ago along with all the other stuff but not now like all the others they are pretty good, formaldahyde stuff is banned anyway.

@PhilD I was meaning the Thetford stuff being formaldahyde earlier being a furphy.............................

I think some go overboard, the stuff people put down the dunnies in parks is far worse than what comes out of a dunny cannister, but then those same people probably try.

My dunny emergency hose lives in the rack and a bottle of that hand sterlizer stuff is in the door pocket.

Reactions: bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The dump point at Coffs Harbour is well maintained, hose for cleaning things and about 30ft away a tap to fill water tanks well signed to make sure you don't get mixed up.

rodney

Apr 23, 2014
I'll try nappy San first in the van before I use the thetford stuff
I have a little portable atm and use nappy San but last time out friends borrowed it and went and got the chemicals and made a mess of it

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere, sometime I was told it's easier and cleaner to change from napisan to the other green and pink stuff, rather than the other way round.

Something about chemical residue in or on the pastic. Sorry can't remember the details, just the gist of it.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Like changing radiator coolant, a good flush is needed, I know when going from commercial to Napisan you should give it a dose of napisan and fill the cassette with water and let sit for a day to remove scale and other yucky stuff.........

When I get out of the van next week will give everything a good clean up and start using the Napisan, even though the sachets are just so easy, does add up to a few $$$ on a big trip.

Last edited:
Reactions: Axl and bigcol

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
IIRC there's an even more enlightening Thread about toilets around here. If it wasn't for my good taste (Ha Ha) I would add my own observations as to the useless design of our toilet system in the van.

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Wasn't there a thread on the poo paper test?

Aldi versus Canec versus others?

Or was that on another forum? I'd be surprised as I don't look at any other forums as I can't stand the sniping.