Interior Toilet Chemicals

Oct 12, 2015
Newcastle
Hey All,

(sorry for all the noob questions)

Toilet Chemicals, What does everyone use?

As you have seen from some of my other posts, just picked up secondhand 16.49.30OB and the handover was non existent (messy divorce sale) and I'm still filling in the gaps.

I watched this video
which was great for use but not how to maintain :)

Cheers

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Have used the Thetford stuff years ago but found we disliked the smell and it didn't seem very effective so changed over to Coles equivalent of napisan for toilet itself and a bit of eucalyptus oil in top tank.

The Thetford pink stuff for top is ok if you want to keep an eye on water level as it shows up but eucalyptus gives a more pleasant aroma.

We've found that combination is cheaper and more effective in our 16.49.3.

Enjoy your van!

Reactions: Delano

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Significantly cheaper if you look for the generic product which has a higher concentration of the active chemical.

Depending on use and temp we can easily get up to three days between empties of cassette and always put about a litre of water in after emptying then a good sprinkling of the napisan stuff.

We also leave it like that when not in use and only use the pink stuff occasionally, if we remember but always use the eucalyptus oil....a few drops only.

No smell at all, at all.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Yep.

Works for us but see if there are other pearls of wisdom.

Anything else you need filling in on? Can't guarantee if we can help but willing to try.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Only suggestion I'd make at this stage is to keep an eye on ball weight and where you pack the heavier stuff in the van.

I know ours can get a bit weighty on the ball if we're not careful....just enough to make me check it carefully.

And make sure the fridge is on at least a couple of days before you leave.

Have fun!

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
So Eucalyptus oil in the flushing water tank and Coles napisan in the waste tank?

I use the generic brand nappy san in both the bottom and flush tanks, we have been using this since we had a porta loo in the camper trailer. It is much cheaper than using the supposed u beaut toilet chemicals and it works just as well if not better. When we brought our Expanda the flush tank had algae growing in it and the previous owner had been using the u beaut pink stuff, once I emptied that out and did a flush of the tank with cheap nappy san and water the algae was (and still is) gone.

The nappy san must have sodium percarbonate in it not all the cheap brands do (and none of the dear brands do) so look for this on the container as this is the chemical that does the work on the smell and helps with the breaking down of the solids. A good lid full in the flush tank every time I refill it and a half a lid in the holding tank after I have been to the dump point and all is good.

This is the Coles brand but I’ve also used the IGA brand.
1251_56050_image.jpg

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I forgot to add that if you find algae, smell or such a couple of tabs of denture cleaner should sort it out.

We did that years ago for a porta potti.

Of course the sodium percarbonate trick works as well.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I use the green pod things, more expensive than napisan but when on the road for a long time it is just so much easier.
I may follow @Dobbie eventually.

If not using the unit for months then empty can and drain the flush tank.
If no manual for it you can download one from Thetford.

A couple of things to mention though; when you empty the can don't shake the hell out of it, you could upset the opening mechanism, just tip it up, push the button in the corner and away she goes, refill with a few litres of water and do it again.

If you have to open the lid pull the slide open a bit and use it to turn the cap so the little arrow head lines up with it's mate (look closely) you can then get and the moving parts.

If the cavities in the can housing (under the plastic covers) end up with evil liquid in them that usually means a. youv'e overfilled the can or b. the seal is stuffed either way your in for some fun......arm yourself with gloves, sponge, bucket and peg, preferably after fasting for 12 hours at least.

Pays to have a spare seal, they come with instructions but make sure you take good notice of how everything was before you pull it apart.

and don't miss reading the great Dunny Paper comparo, not to be missed.
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/the-toilet-paper-comparison.6256/page-2#post-101313

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/dreaded-toilet-cassette-clean-up.6548/

Last edited:

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
I think the mix is quite cheap doing it this way eh @dagree

Sure is @bigcol ... $4 for the Coles laundry soaker and about the same for the eucalyptus oil... Thetford chemicals you're looking at $20+ each for both lots.

The nappisan/laundry soaker is supposed to be more environmentally friendly as well :)

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
And.....just remembered....

The napisan stuff is ok to dump into septic tank when you return home. Other Thetford stuff is not.

That was important for us.

Reactions: dagree

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hey All,

(sorry for all the noob questions)

Toilet Chemicals, What does everyone use?

As you have seen from some of my other posts, just picked up secondhand 16.49.30OB and the handover was non existent (messy divorce sale) and I'm still filling in the gaps.

I watched this video
which was great for use but not how to maintain :)

Cheers
If you need confirmation of the effectiveness of generic $2 nappy wash, in a real world (accidental) field test read this post. You won't bother ever buying expensive chemicals again

No name Nappy San Field Test

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
I use the green pod things, more expensive than napisan but when on the road for a long time it is just so much easier.
I may follow @Dobbie eventually.

A couple of things to mention though; when you empty the can don't shake the hell out of it, you could upset the opening mechanism, just tip it up, push the button in the corner and away she goes, refill with a few litres of water and do it again.
/
When you experience a lump with the consistency of a rock and it won't just drop out you'll find some severe agitation is required, or reduce the roughage in the diet.

Reactions: peterg and dagree

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
And important for the few parks that don't have dump points and allow you to empty the cassette down their dunnies!
We only use the Napisan style product and don't experience any problems with smell and it breaking down most things. As to Eucalyptus, that or a dob of Vicks under the nose at Dump Points and roadside rest areas is a good thing and stay upwind if possible.

On our trip this year we came across 2 different places where you would find that some of the manufacturer recommended chemicals wouldn't be acceptable whereas the Napisan type is. Using the other chemicals does limit where you can empty the cassette.
20150610_083233.jpg 20150702_155000.jpg