S + B's Starcraft 17.58-3 Outback

Pauly

Aug 25, 2013
Ah bugger. She'll be right. You seam on top of it anyhow.
We take up all our weight with water as we free camp 99% of the time I'm hoping to put another tank (52l) on weights considering after I get the front box on and check my figures.

Reactions: bloke and bigcol

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I have been in regular contact with our dealer about the payload upgrade request.

Looks like our extra payload enquiries are not getting anywhere on our van, so will be sticking with the standard 475kg. I am sure we will be able to manage, as it will only possibly become an issue on bigger free camping trips when we would be fully loaded as such. We are fairly light packers at the end of the day, and got down to a good system with the current van so that should be in our favour.

A rough estimate of our delivery date is the 10th of August, but that could change a few days either side.Not long now!

@bloke yep there giving your old fella a bit of a tug mate. I had ours uped to close to 600 afterwards for nix. Fortunately it was because they stuffed up the original plate and didn't give us 475 otherwise they said it would have cost a $100 for the new plate. As long as you stay inside the axle loading.

Anybody else thinking of this what I have done in this and the previous Expanda is stipulate the payload on the order in writing. Then When it comes thru wrong as it did on both vans they have to correct it.

bloke

Apr 25, 2016
Bendigo
@bloke yep there giving your old fella a bit of a tug mate. I had ours uped to close to 600 afterwards for nix. Fortunately it was because they stuffed up the original plate and didn't give us 475 otherwise they said it would have cost a $100 for the new plate. As long as you stay inside the axle loading.

Anybody else thinking of this what I have done in this and the previous Expanda is stipulate the payload on the order in writing. Then When it comes thru wrong as it did on both vans they have to correct it.
Thanks @achjimmy what dealership did you get yours through?

bloke

Apr 25, 2016
Bendigo
Canberra and then Sydney.
Thanks mate. I am having one last attempt tomorrow with my dealer on this issue. I would be happy to pay $100 (for the plate) for an upgraded payload to be honest, but it is more the muck around and misinformation that is frustrating!

I am reminding myself that this small issue won't ruin the van, and that it is only a few weeks away! :clap2:

Reactions: 17triton

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Call Jayco's office speak with them first see if you van get onto someone there who will offer advice. They will not actually make the plate until it's weighed at the end! Once you have that info and other from here ring your dealer and give them the facts tell them to be resonable and get you what they can its not hard. You need more than 475. We travel light and with tool box, stuff, water and gas we are at 600kg! And that's with factory fitted dual solar and dual batteries

Reactions: bigcol

bloke

Apr 25, 2016
Bendigo
Thanks for the advice @achjimmy , much appreciated. Glad you mentioned the fact that they weigh the van up at the end (what I assumed anyway, makes sense, to us at least!). I keep going through in my head the logics of the whole, ultimately simple, situation and it amazes me at the end of the day. I keep thinking I must be missing something and hence the dealer's reply. However from the feedback here on the forum, it doesn't appear that I am missing anything.

I will make some calls tomorrow and see how goes. Watch this space.... Cheers

Reactions: bigcol

bloke

Apr 25, 2016
Bendigo
You are right @bigcol , regarding wishing I knew this when ordering our van. This is our first brand new van, and hence all these details and all this information will only make me wiser (perhaps? :ambivalence:) when it comes to any future purchases down the track...

Reactions: dagree

Pauly

Aug 25, 2013
Funny that , factory sent our van out with wrong payload on the plate also but dealer was right onto it and changed it before pickup. Everything on ours was in writing aswell so nothing was 'said then forgotten '.
You'll love the van .
Hope you can convince them

Reactions: bigcol and bloke

bloke

Apr 25, 2016
Bendigo
Some good news!

After another phone call and a face to face visit at the dealer about extra payload, they have finally agreed that an extra 100kg (so 575kg total) is doable. Why now and not earlier is anyone's guess...

Due to the fact that it is so close to the build now, the VIN plate may not come out from the factory correct (even though updated on the build sheet), however the dealer will be able to update with a new plate if need be. No cost involved either.

I have this in writing now too, so that is a bonus!

Great result all round.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Great result, you'd think Jayco would be leading this charge instead of having there head in the sand like so many other manufacturers.

Can't believe some of the ridiculous payloads manufacturers stamp on vans, especially those big arse 20-21ft vans .

Reactions: bloke and bigcol

bloke

Apr 25, 2016
Bendigo
Assuming things are travelling smoothly and on track, our van should be on the production line as we type, somewhere between quality control checks?????? perhaps....? :flypig:

Reactions: Pauly and bigcol

bloke

Apr 25, 2016
Bendigo
I did the jayco factory tour on Thursday just gone. What a place! So busy, and on face value the whole operation comes across very professional. Well worth a look.

While walking between buildings I noticed a starcraft in the distance sort of out on its own a bit. At a glance it appeared to have similar basic mods that we have ordered. Anyway, got up closer and sure enough it was ours... Had the order form inside with my name and all! It was great to see it in the flesh.

Apparently it had been plucked out at the end of the line for a random quality audit. Inside the van there was a hand written sheet with some notes about minor fixes required that the audit team had picked up. Things like scuff marks on external walls etc... Didn't spend much time looking at their list.

Hopefully since it has been audited, that will mean less likely to be outstanding issues at handover stage with the dealer... Fingers crossed.

Pretty happy with how everything looked, and each mod request seemed done, except for the awning leg clearing the toilet hatch door. Still doesn't clear but I was prepared for that.

VIN plate was yet to go on, but trust that the payload adjustment will be done before delivery, either by the factory or the dealer.

It was totally random spotting our van, out of the sea of vans scattered around the 55 acre property.

Not long now hopefully