S + B's Starcraft 17.58-3 Outback

bloke

Apr 25, 2016
Bendigo
6.5 hour drive yesterday and the van towed beautifully. I managed to get the wife's car wired up with a 12 pin before the trip for fridge etc to run, so we ended up taking her car. Sat on around 100kmh all the way, averaged about 13 - 14 L's per hundred cant complain about that.

We are at a caravan park for this trip, so testing all the relevant items out. So far everything is going smoothly and very happy with the van.

Got the roof heater ticking away tonight to keep the chill off. Noisey but not as bad as I thought it would be. Diesel heater still the plan.

Kitchen sink is very slow to drain, but I suspect it is the first elbow directly below the sink that is the issue. Will check it out better when I get home.

I will be looking at improving the waste water outlets at some stage too as the double outlets seem a bit cumbersome and reckon a simpler set up of some sort will be on the cards.

No big issues at all really, just small things that make the mod list get forever longer!

Anyway, best get another beverage. Will post a couple of pics tomorrow.

Pauly

Aug 25, 2013
Brilliant! That's what ya want to hear, all running smoothly and the beers flowing:very_drunk:
Waste outlets on my to do list also , I got a one way valve for it the other day . Is like to have it done before school hols...

Safe travels, hope youse have a blast!!

bloke

Apr 25, 2016
Bendigo
Couldn't help myself and slid under the van yesterday to investigate slow drainage from kitchen sink. Found that the clear pipe was running in far from the ideal route, including over the gas line (see pic) in the cross member, causing a couple of low spots.

Anyway, out with side cutters and cable ties. 10 minutes later the sink is flowing heaps better, still not perfect but not far off. Also shortened the factory clear pipes that feed into the single sullage outlet, allowing for a more down hill run.

One small job down while away in the van at least.

Attachments

• IMG_20160902_143234-1024x1365.jpg
    IMG_20160902_143234-1024x1365.jpg
    349.7 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_20160902_143309-1024x1365.jpg
    IMG_20160902_143309-1024x1365.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 314

bloke

Apr 25, 2016
Bendigo
Finished painting up the bike rack over the last week or so. Blends in pretty good with the van colours now I think. If anyone ever sees it in the flesh, don't look to closely at my paint job! o_O

Once it gets a bit dirty all will be ok.

Also had the van first service last week. All went well. Apparently the back left wheel needed a slight alignment, other than that all good. The service department also fixed up a dicky cupboard above the sink, and realigned the main entry door that was a bit off and not totally square (from the factory).

Next quick easy mod will be a pvc pipe install across the van behind the wheels to carry sullage pipe lengths.

Attachments

• IMG_20160911_131424-1038x768.jpg
    IMG_20160911_131424-1038x768.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_20160911_131454-768x1038.jpg
    IMG_20160911_131454-768x1038.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 323

bloke

Apr 25, 2016
Bendigo
Haven't updated this thread for a while. Work and play has been taking priority!

We have been away in the van 5 times now and still love it. The lads love their own bunks, and everything has been working well.

Did some free camping at the Grampians a few weeks back, loaded full of water, gas, food etc... With spare 20l water on the draw bar. The triton certainly knew it was towing, but still the whole outfit towed great.

Had a couple of small issues with kitchen draws. The cutlery and utensil draws press button latches were only just catching, and after the second trip I found one had slid open during the drive home.

On the 3rd trip, while going slower through a town, I took a tight corner and heard the cutlery draw hit the floor as it slid out all the way!

Anyway, no damage and a quick easy fix, I removed the small L brackets that the catch slips in behind, and spaced them down further meaning when the button is pushed, it slides in behind it much further. No more dramas on that one.

My mod list remains active, but no others completed as yet. Will be popping an Anderson out floor of the van soon to plug my portable solar onto for the free camps. Also looking at a sullage hose holder soon, save putting them in the front tunnel boot.

I will try and update on here more often to save these long posts!

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
Haven't updated this thread for a while. Work and play has been taking priority!

We have been away in the van 5 times now and still love it. The lads love their own bunks, and everything has been working well.

Did some free camping at the Grampians a few weeks back, loaded full of water, gas, food etc... With spare 20l water on the draw bar. The triton certainly knew it was towing, but still the whole outfit towed great.

Had a couple of small issues with kitchen draws. The cutlery and utensil draws press button latches were only just catching, and after the second trip I found one had slid open during the drive home.

On the 3rd trip, while going slower through a town, I took a tight corner and heard the cutlery draw hit the floor as it slid out all the way!

Anyway, no damage and a quick easy fix, I removed the small L brackets that the catch slips in behind, and spaced them down further meaning when the button is pushed, it slides in behind it much further. No more dramas on that one.

My mod list remains active, but no others completed as yet. Will be popping an Anderson out floor of the van soon to plug my portable solar onto for the free camps. Also looking at a sullage hose holder soon, save putting them in the front tunnel boot.

I will try and update on here more often to save these long posts!
Did you check the screws which hold the drawer rail in place? I have the same issue with a wardrobe drawer. At first I too thought it was the latch but realised it's the screws coming out on the sides and the drawer dropping. Glad you are still loving the van. We are too.

Reactions: dagree and Dobbie

bloke

Apr 25, 2016
Bendigo
Did you check the screws which hold the drawer rail in place? I have the same issue with a wardrobe drawer. At first I too thought it was the latch but realised it's the screws coming out on the sides and the drawer dropping. Glad you are still loving the van. We are too.
Yep, everything else seemed to be secure still, checked all the rollers and slides. Good suggestion though thanks, will keep it in mind down the track if happens again.

Cheers

Reactions: FiveInAVan

bloke

Apr 25, 2016
Bendigo
Haven't updated this thread for a while, although have been still lurking around the site.

We have been away in the Starcraft regularly and making the most of it. Still going great.

A couple of mods have been completed since my last post.

1. 12v wiring under the floor in preparation for a second battery soon which I will be putting under the rear seat. While I was going, I also installed an external anderson plug that is hooked up to the battery (soon to be batteries), allowing me to connect my portable solar panels as required, without running cables in through a window or the door. Could also use this anderson plug for a power source if needed down the track.

2. I have been carrying a table around with me just for the BBQ (Zigler and Brown) to sit on near the front hatch. We use the BBQ daily when away, and the bayonet point it very handy. However carrying the table is annoying. I got the idea for a fold away BBQ frame from somewhere on this forum (thank you who ever it was), and finished knocking it up today. It all slides into the cross member at the front of the van, with a seperate supporting pole (cut down from an old tarp pole) that I will just slip in the front tunnel boot when not in use.
It should make things much easier and compact. I am fairly happy with how it turned out, and it is pretty stable too.

While cleaning the van yesterday, I came across two cracks in the stone shield over the front window. As you will see in the pics, the cracks are both on a rivet point. I spoke to Jayco today, and sent these photos in. They are starting the warranty claim process, and will fit a new shield when it comes in. Sounds like it is a common issue, with my local Jayco saying that when they replace the shield, that use a slightly bigger hole in the plastic allowing for a small amount of movement which seems to avoid it splitting again...

IMG_20170419_151921.jpg IMG_20170419_152417.jpg IMG_20170419_145432.jpg IMG_20170419_163528.jpg IMG_20170224_141115.jpg IMG_20170224_141126.jpg IMG_20170418_164612.jpg IMG_20170419_125056.jpg

bloke

Apr 25, 2016
Bendigo
Love that BBQ stand. Wonder if I could use C channel for the main support and then get a folding support leg.....
I reckon that could work well too, as long as the bolt holding the leg in place didn't protrude too far each side, which would stop it all sliding in the cross member.

Perhaps a counter sink option, or pop rivets could work...

Reactions: bigcol and megcam

bloke

Apr 25, 2016
Bendigo
Well I bit the bullet and bought a Eberspacher D2 Heater. Arrived last Friday, installed it over the weekend. Haven't got time to do the better write up at the moment, but I will be sure to add some more with pics soon. All installed, minus the fuel tank that should be here this week. Standby for further, however I will say for now that I am very happy with it, and should mean we get to use the van a lot more over winter.

Giddy up.

JS4910

Sep 21, 2016
Gladstone Central Qld
While cleaning the van yesterday, I came across two cracks in the stone shield over the front window. As you will see in the pics, the cracks are both on a rivet point. I spoke to Jayco today, and sent these photos in. They are starting the warranty claim process, and will fit a new shield when it comes in. Sounds like it is a common issue, with my local Jayco saying that when they replace the shield, that use a slightly bigger hole in the plastic allowing for a small amount of movement which seems to avoid it splitting again...

Yep found exactly the same thing while washing ours yesterday, most likely caused by the wrong size rivet which expands too much in the plastic. Will be sending our dealer the pictures so they can organise it's replacement when they do our front window.

Reactions: bloke