S + B's Starcraft 17.58-3 Outback

bloke

Apr 25, 2016
Bendigo
Hello all...

Well I have been reading through copious threads on this forum since about April this year when I stumbled across it, and it is great to see such a large group of people contributing to such a massive wealth of knowledge. I hope I can add to the brains trust over time :)

It was in April that we ordered our new Starcraft 17.58-3 OB, after stopping in at the Bayswater dealership on the way home from a 5 nights away in Lakes Entrance. We were towing our current 2008 16.49.1 Expanda (which has been a fantastic van), and had liked the floor plan of the Starcraft for our family of four (mum, dad and 2 young boys 7 and 9 years).

Basically we got a good enough deal, and decided to bite the bullet and upgrade. It feels like forever ago since we ordered, but our new van is due off the production line at the end of July.

Delivery due early August at this stage.

The main reasons for the upgrade decision were:
  • bunks for the boys who are starting to want their own space (even though smaller space each)
  • toilet/shower
  • a quicker set up time - no setting up of beds etc...
  • extra ground clearance for the better camping spots
  • tandem set up for more piece of mind, with the idea of a decent long trip in the coming years
As I mentioned, our current Expanda has been great, and we may miss the inside living space in the new Starcraft, but we spend as much time outdoors anyway :encouragement:

The options we have ordered with the new Starcraft are:
  • extended drawbar
  • centre mounted jockey wheel
  • spare wheel relocated to rear bumper
  • bigger fridge
  • roof top air con
  • antenna
  • aluminium walls
We thoroughly considered others extras like stereos, drifter panels etc... however I really enjoy completing as many projects as I can myself, so have left the rest as a blank canvas to mod ourselves.

Future mods (including many ideas already gathered from this forum - thank you!) are:
  • off grid heater (diesel or gas, yet to be decided)
  • stereo
  • shelving in existing cupboards
  • water flow meter (in place of a drifter panel)
  • battery voltage meter (in place of a drifter panel)
  • extra battery (to hopefully get the AH up around 200)
  • tool box to front (hence the longer draw bar)
  • bike rack on front (hence the longer draw bar)
  • DC to DC charger for proper charging while driving
I am sure this list of mods will change and grow over the next month, let alone when we actually take delivery of the van! But hey, it keeps my mind busy and I never get bored thinking about mods!

Here is a snap of our current rig. I will be sure to upload pics of the new rig once we have it, as I have read on several posts around here that if there are no pictures, did it really happen? Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_20141010_112042.jpg
    IMG_20141010_112042.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 347
Last edited:

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Great stuff @bloke and I think our vans could nearly be twins! We had a 16-49-1 for about 8yrs befor the 17-56-1 for 3yrs and now with the 17-58-3 we totally love the options it opens up. Having the ensuite/hot water is great after never having that before and along with solar and diesel heater we look to get away in it whenever we can. Can't wait to see pics of your van and to look at what mods you do to it.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Great stuff @bloke and I'm sure the mod list will change and grow as time goes by after you pick up and use the new van.

As you are probably already aware there are a few on here that will try help you spend your hard earned $'s with more suggestions ;)
Looking forward to seeing pics of the van and your ventures after August!

Reactions: Delano and bigcol

bloke

Apr 25, 2016
Bendigo
Great stuff @bloke and I think our vans could nearly be twins! We had a 16-49-1 for about 8yrs befor the 17-56-1 for 3yrs and now with the 17-58-3 we totally love the options it opens up. Having the ensuite/hot water is great after never having that before and along with solar and diesel heater we look to get away in it whenever we can. Can't wait to see pics of your van and to look at what mods you do to it.
And to add to the twin situation @17triton , it looks like we have nearly the same tow rig, except for the colour! While my Triton is the usual choice when we go away, my wife's vehicle is also capable of towing a caravan so it is good to be able to give the Triton a break now and then...:fish2:

Pauly

Aug 25, 2013
Nice choice again!
Your probably already on to it but make sure to up your payload so any extras you put on later don't hurt your limits. As long as your within the axle loads nothing needs to be upgraded. To do it at a later stage it will cost for the new plate .
Looking forward to seeing yours.
I'm sure you'll be wrapped!

Reactions: Delano

bloke

Apr 25, 2016
Bendigo
Nice choice again!
Your probably already on to it but make sure to up your payload so any extras you put on later don't hurt your limits. As long as your within the axle loads nothing needs to be upgraded. To do it at a later stage it will cost for the new plate .
Looking forward to seeing yours.
I'm sure you'll be wrapped!
@Pauly I did enquire about increasing the payload up to but not above the axle group limits. I was informed by the dealer that it would cost around $2000!

The exact response via email was:

"So the Max payload from Jayco is 475 kg
However you can increase chassis strength and upgrade springs etc
But cost become 2 k plus
So not worth it dollar wise"

Have I been misinformed?

Pauly

Aug 25, 2013
@Pauly I did enquire about increasing the payload up to but not above the axle group limits. I was informed by the dealer that it would cost around $2000!

The exact response via email was:

"So the Max payload from Jayco is 475 kg
However you can increase chassis strength and upgrade springs etc
But cost become 2 k plus
So not worth it dollar wise"

Have I been misinformed?

Our payload is 525kg I first asked for 550 but dealer checked with factory and similar to you was told would have had to upgrade axles. So was happy to get the extra 50kg included (no extra cost to my knowledge)
Tare 2032
Atm 2557
Axle load 2667 ( I guess they factor in a safety margin )

Reactions: davemc

bloke

Apr 25, 2016
Bendigo
Our payload is 525kg I first asked for 550 but dealer checked with factory and similar to you was told would have had to upgrade axles. So was happy to get the extra 50kg included (no extra cost to my knowledge)
Tare 2032
Atm 2557
Axle load 2667 ( I guess they factor in a safety margin )
Thanks again @Pauly . Even though 50kg extra payload doesn't sound like much, it would be nice to have it and not use it, rather than be sitting right on the limits.

@FiveInAVan , I have been following your lead up to getting your van too, and glad that it is living up to expectations and that your wait it over now :). Happy travels! Very much looking forward to getting ours. I think the last few weeks will go the slowest? :ambivalence:

Reactions: Delano and Pauly

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
@FiveInAVan , I have been following your lead up to getting your van too, and glad that it is living up to expectations and that your wait it over now :). Happy travels! Very much looking forward to getting ours. I think the last few weeks will go the slowest? :ambivalence:

I actually found the opposite. It came around very quickly in the last few weeks.

bloke

Apr 25, 2016
Bendigo
I have been in regular contact with our dealer about the payload upgrade request.

Looks like our extra payload enquiries are not getting anywhere on our van, so will be sticking with the standard 475kg. I am sure we will be able to manage, as it will only possibly become an issue on bigger free camping trips when we would be fully loaded as such. We are fairly light packers at the end of the day, and got down to a good system with the current van so that should be in our favour.

A rough estimate of our delivery date is the 10th of August, but that could change a few days either side.Not long now!

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
I have been in regular contact with our dealer about the payload upgrade request.

Looks like our extra payload enquiries are not getting anywhere on our van, so will be sticking with the standard 475kg. I am sure we will be able to manage, as it will only possibly become an issue on bigger free camping trips when we would be fully loaded as such. We are fairly light packers at the end of the day, and got down to a good system with the current van so that should be in our favour.

A rough estimate of our delivery date is the 10th of August, but that could change a few days either side.Not long now!
Gee it's a frustrating thing isn't it. Some people get extra some don't it shouldn't be that hard . The toyhaulers get 600 straight up and it is well within the axel loadings. It is only a number on the plate for them to change so not asking a lot.
Getting close now can almost count the sleeps or no sleeps lol.

Reactions: Pauly and Delano

bloke

Apr 25, 2016
Bendigo
Gee it's a frustrating thing isn't it. Some people get extra some don't it shouldn't be that hard . The toyhaulers get 600 straight up and it is well within the axel loadings. It is only a number on the plate for them to change so not asking a lot.
Getting close now can almost count the sleeps or no sleeps lol.
You are right, it doesn't sound that hard but for some reason on this occasion, it is!

Never mind, I don't want something small to ruin the the idea of the new van, which I am sure it won't.

First small trip planned end of August to see how it all goes. Should be great.

Pauly

Aug 25, 2013
Bugger...
Maybe tick atleast the 2nd battery option so that the weight (around 30kg) of the second battery doesn't come off your payload if you fit it after.
Hell ask em for three!!

Reactions: Delano and bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
just found this, sounds like a good score @bloke

yes, I dont know why some things through Jayco are so hard for some, but a piece of pi-- for others
adding extra weight
left hand / right hand door
15" to 16" wheels (my problem with them)
drifter controller - (again my problem with Jayco - they point blank refused)

dunno what goes through their heads sometimes

Reactions: bloke and Delano

bloke

Apr 25, 2016
Bendigo
Bugger...
Maybe tick atleast the 2nd battery option so that the weight (around 30kg) of the second battery doesn't come off your payload if you fit it after.
Hell ask em for three!!
Good idea @Pauly , but I think it is too late now that I have signed off and only a few weeks away until delivery... never mind!

Reactions: bigcol and Pauly