17' Series No full Annex allowed???

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
There are quite a few that have their layouts designed with the fridge on the 'Off' side.
The 14.44-5 is one of them. They will all have to be now.
They don't have to be if they change the fridges to a compressor type fridge. To be honest it would be the simplest fix as far as Jayco is concerned. No need to change any layouts then.

BJ.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Great find twscoot. Interesting re outdoor appliance? How many BBQs and patio heaters are in enclosed sunrooms in houses?

Hoffy

Jun 10, 2014
Gold Coast, Queensland
Hi everyone,
we just went to our dealer to do the final extra's etc and ask about the fridge being changed to either a two way fridge or the current fridge being moved. We are purchasing a 17.56.02 OB for those that didnt know.

The replacement fridge is a 136ltr Waeco which would cost us around $550 extra to have fitted instead of the current 150ltr. If they move it to the other side, it would go where the stove is which means that that whole area would come out another foot or so, so therefore it would mean the "hallway" to the back of the van would be very enclosed. We would lose bench space also. So the design to move the fridge to the other side will not be a favourable one I'm sure for future purchasers of this particular van.

I am so disappointed in this whole process as we have been looking at this van for over 12 months and now that we are financial to purchase it, we cant have the full kit that we want. We are now looking into purchasing a side wall and and end wall and leaving the front open. Not even sure if we are allowed to purchase that???

I know for some of you an annex isnt a big deal but for us with two young ones, the annex is an extension of the van as we camp for three weeks plus so it is used very well. we need that extra space and protection from the elements.

Still excited to be purchasing a new expanda and very grateful for all the useful info on this site!!

Cheers
Hoffy

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Hi everyone,
we just went to our dealer to do the final extra's etc and ask about the fridge being changed to either a two way fridge or the current fridge being moved. We are purchasing a 17.56.02 OB for those that didnt know.

The replacement fridge is a 136ltr Waeco which would cost us around $550 extra to have fitted instead of the current 150ltr. If they move it to the other side, it would go where the stove is which means that that whole area would come out another foot or so, so therefore it would mean the "hallway" to the back of the van would be very enclosed. We would lose bench space also. So the design to move the fridge to the other side will not be a favourable one I'm sure for future purchasers of this particular van.

I am so disappointed in this whole process as we have been looking at this van for over 12 months and now that we are financial to purchase it, we cant have the full kit that we want. We are now looking into purchasing a side wall and and end wall and leaving the front open. Not even sure if we are allowed to purchase that???

I know for some of you an annex isnt a big deal but for us with two young ones, the annex is an extension of the van as we camp for three weeks plus so it is used very well. we need that extra space and protection from the elements.

Still excited to be purchasing a new expanda and very grateful for all the useful info on this site!!

Cheers
Hoffy
12V -240V Waeco seems the best solution for you.

Reactions: mfexpanda

carpanda

Jul 15, 2014
Sydney, NSW
I know what u mean @Hoffy. What option will u go with,with the fridge?
We are getting the 17:56-2 as well. We leaving fridge as is. I'm a bit disappointed about not having a annexe :(

carpanda

Jul 15, 2014
Sydney, NSW
Does anyone know if u can have a annexe made out of fly screen type material to keep mozzies out, and u can still sit outside. Would that be allowed something like that?

Jul 4, 2014
Engadine
Saw some CO2 sensors for sale at aldi today, might help for those that are concerned about the venting. But, I would like to know who is going to control this. Yes the dealers and awning wall manufactures are just refusing to install. They have gas appliances in the vans now with pissy venting in the roof space, I think they will find an answer to this issue, considering it will affect there sales.

Hoffy

Jun 10, 2014
Gold Coast, Queensland
Hi everyone!!

I spoke with dealer again today and they are looking after us with the waeco fridge for $325.
BUT after reading the sheet from the natural resources and mine department with all the f & q's, I got another idea to ask. It states that if you already have a 3 way fridge and want to keep your full annex, you need to get the gas disconnected by a gas fitter and get a certificate to say this has been done. So I asked the dealer if we could do this as I do want to keep the bigger fridge. They will do it!!! So we get to keep the bigger fridge, have a full annex........happy campers!!!
Hope this helps you too @carpanda

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Hi everyone!!

I spoke with dealer again today and they are looking after us with the waeco fridge for $325.
BUT after reading the sheet from the natural resources and mine department with all the f & q's, I got another idea to ask. It states that if you already have a 3 way fridge and want to keep your full annex, you need to get the gas disconnected by a gas fitter and get a certificate to say this has been done. So I asked the dealer if we could do this as I do want to keep the bigger fridge. They will do it!!! So we get to keep the bigger fridge, have a full annex........happy campers!!!
Hope this helps you too @carpanda
How do you run the fridge if there's no 240 power ?

Hoffy

Jun 10, 2014
Gold Coast, Queensland
Sorry @mfexpanda , been a big day!! Thought it was a funny question.

At this stage we only free camp once a year and until we decide to do it more often, we have a pretty big esky that we have always used in the past.
The van does come with a solar panel and battery but from what I've read on this forum, you need an extra panel and battery to run the fridge efficiently so if we do more free camping when we get the van, then that's the option we will go for.

Who knows, maybe they might eventually sort this and we can get the gas reconnected!!! Lol

Cheers

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Just be aware that the 3 way fridge cannot be run off the van battery. It is very very inefficient on 12v and will drain a battery very quickly and not even get cold. The 12v option is mostly only off the car battery whilst it is running and you need to have pre chilled the fridge

Hoffy

Jun 10, 2014
Gold Coast, Queensland
Go the Waeco. In upright fridges 15 litres is not a lot. Given it wouldn't be much to reconnect the gas, but if this gas issue becomes widespread knowledge a van that can't be used off the grid will have issues with. resale
thanks for the advice, will take it on board. Havent signed off yet on the gas being disconnected so we still have time to have a look at our options.
Cheers

Reactions: carpanda

carpanda

Jul 15, 2014
Sydney, NSW
Saw some CO2 sensors for sale at aldi today, might help for those that are concerned about the venting. But, I would like to know who is going to control this. Yes the dealers and awning wall manufactures are just refusing to install. They have gas appliances in the vans now with pissy venting in the roof space, I think they will find an answer to this issue, considering it will affect there sales.

What are the sensors, would they test the air?