17' Series No full Annex allowed???

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
They were actually carbon monoxide sensors. CO is slightly denser than air. Colourless and odourless gas that you don't wake up from should it rise in concentrations while you are asleep.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
The common sense approach from the authorities would be for annexes on the fridge side (and fridge only not other appliances) because they use less than one mJ of gas per hr (non technical term "stuff all") would be to have extra vents in the annexe and carbon monoxide and LPG detectors fitted. How hard would that be!

Reactions: Matty4 and twscoot
Jul 4, 2014
Engadine
The common sense approach from the authorities would be for annexes on the fridge side (and fridge only not other appliances) because they use less than one mJ of gas per hr (non technical term "stuff all") would be to have extra vents in the annexe and carbon monoxide and LPG detectors fitted. How hard would that be!
Im sure we will all end up with Black and yellow warnings signs on all vans that read area must be well ventilated when using fridge on LPG.

Reactions: jacbaz

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Go the Waeco. In upright fridges 15 litres is not a lot. Given it wouldn't be much to reconnect the gas, but if this gas issue becomes widespread knowledge a van that can't be used off the grid will have issues with. resale
Is that 15l difference between Waeco and normal 150l fridge? 15l difference is negligible.
Can make that up with a small 20l car fridge, we do, that Way we have cold drinks in the car when travelling long distances and spare space for cold sensitive vegs like cucumbers, tomatoes, lettuce which we keep in the small portable fridge (12v / 240V that plugs into the car and alternatively we bring it into the van and plug into 12v or 240v)
Do others do this?

Last edited:

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Is that 15l difference between Waeco and normal 150l fridge? 15l difference is negligible.
Can make that up with a small 20l car fridge, we do, that Way we have cold drinks in the car when travelling long distances and spare space for cold sensitive vegs like cucumbers, tomatoes, lettuce which we keep in the small portable fridge (12v / 240V that plugs into the car and alternatively we bring it into the van and plug into 12v or 240v)
Do others do this?
Yes, we do the same.
I then have the small fridge in the annex with my drinks etc so I dont have to go inside to get em. We also put the lunch stuff (ham, cheese, lettuce) in it so we can make lunches etc outside and dont need to run in and out.
Everyone is a winner!!!

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic

The biggest problem here is that common sense these days isn't that common...

Hoffy

Jun 10, 2014
Gold Coast, Queensland
Hi @Marv_mart ,
From what we have learnt from our research is that you cannot purchase a new annex if you still have the gas hooked up to your fridge. You need to have at least two sides opened at all times therefore you cant have a full annex at any time

Hoffy

Jun 10, 2014
Gold Coast, Queensland
Hi everyone, thought I would give you all an update as to how we solved this problem in case there are others out there that would like to purchase this van and also have a full annexe.
As we wanted to keep the size fridge that comes with the van, we have asked Jayco to disconnect the gas to the fridge and supply us with a certificate from the plumber to say this has been done.
I have been in contact with two suppliers of annexes and they have both said that they would supply me with a full annexe with that certificate.
We have asked Jayco to make sure this wiring/plugs etc is easily accessible in case we would like to have it reconnected for what ever purpose down the track.............kind of defeats the purpose in the first place if we can easily get it reconnected once we have the van??? In saying that, we do most of our travels staying in parks so probably won't need to reconnect it at this stage.
Cheers

JOBSWAN

Nov 3, 2012
Mandurah WA
Hi everyone, thought I would give you all an update as to how we solved this problem in case there are others out there that would like to purchase this van and also have a full annexe.
As we wanted to keep the size fridge that comes with the van, we have asked Jayco to disconnect the gas to the fridge and supply us with a certificate from the plumber to say this has been done.
I have been in contact with two suppliers of annexes and they have both said that they would supply me with a full annexe with that certificate.
We have asked Jayco to make sure this wiring/plugs etc is easily accessible in case we would like to have it reconnected for what ever purpose down the track.............kind of defeats the purpose in the first place if we can easily get it reconnected once we have the van??? In saying that, we do most of our travels staying in parks so probably won't need to reconnect it at this stage.
Cheers
Perth won't do it. :(

Reactions: dagree

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
We got a full annex with our van direct from Jayco last year. Gas connected and no mention of the problem discussed in this thread.

The regulation was only "enforced" earlier this year @mooks
We bought our van in May and had the annex fitted April... If you bought both before then you are legal :)

Reactions: JOBSWAN

das46

Sep 7, 2014
Brisbane North Side
We where told when we bought our 17.56.2ob that the laws has been around for years but no one policed it , and then two young kiddies died in WA from the fumes and thats why there on to it now

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I am not aware of the WA story you mentioned, but here in Victoria 2 Children died as the results of Carbon Monoxide poisoning from a faulty gas heater in a normal house a few years back.
http://www.chaseandtyler.org.au/
Correct, they are not new rules, just being more technically enforced.

Hoffy

Jun 10, 2014
Gold Coast, Queensland
At the end of the day @JOBSWAN you got your van and that's all that counts!! We also looked at changing the fridge to the waeco 136litre before the option of disconnection came up. It is important for us to have an annexe also so whatever was needed to achieve this, we would of done.
Still happy campers!!!

Down to approx 5 weeks until we receive our new van!! Happy days

Reactions: JOBSWAN

DPatto

May 8, 2014
Northern VIC.
This is a compliant annex. Once fully setup the long wall is unzipped and raised to make a verandah, allowing full ventilation.
It is not a full annex as such, but three independent walls that can be setup in any configuration.
How the annex is setup is my responsibility and for the manufacture to comply with the regulations a manual was supplied showing how the annex must be setup. If I don't fully open the long wall when setup then it's back on me.

Attachments

• 2014-08-30 13.26.07.jpg
    2014-08-30 13.26.07.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 197

rodney

Apr 23, 2014
Bo
This is a compliant annex. Once fully setup the long wall is unzipped and raised to make a verandah, allowing full ventilation.
It is not a full annex as such, but three independent walls that can be setup in any configuration.
How the annex is setup is my responsibility and for the manufacture to comply with the regulations a manual was supplied showing how the annex must be setup. If I don't fully open the long wall when setup then it's back on me.
t true in wa it all goes back to the yard and the company person that installed it
They won't even install if it is an older van with the fridge flue on the annex side there is only ways around it if it is a full height caravan and that's to move the flue on pop tops and campers there is no option for an annex if it isnt already there

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
if your top fridge vent is a roof one can you have the full annex? I ask this because our new van came with a roof vent even though its a 215L Waeco.