17' Series No full Annex allowed???

Hoffy

Jun 10, 2014
Gold Coast, Queensland
Hi Hoffy

We will be getting our annex and both the annex wallls and the fridge will apparently have a warning sign attached regarding when using the fridge on gas you cannot put up the end walls. As other people have said put the responsibility on the user. Which I am most happy with. If use the fridge on gas I wouldn't be putting up the walls anyway as it would only be a short stay.

Regards
Red
Thanks @Reds !!
I'm going to contact the annex suppliers and see if this can be done. I don't understand why some annex suppliers are happy to do this, yet others are not??
Thanks for your info, much appreciated.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
You should be ringing the gas regulator/safety authority in your State and asking them. A sign seems a common sense approach. Maybe they should think about the use of a Carbon Monoxide alarm somewhere in the annexe as well. A decent one only costs around $50.

Reactions: Hoffy

Petecaz

Jun 26, 2014
Hi Macca and Hoffy
I live is SA and rang the gas regulator who said no one can say you can't have an annex on a caravan. The rule applies only if you have gas running through the fridge into the annex. He said if I run the gas fridge on 12 volt or 240 volt it is fine to have an annex but when running it on gas I need to have both ends open for ventilation. May be different in other states but I didn't have an issue getting an annex for my van in SA.

Reactions: Hoffy and macca

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Well you can't do much more than that! Good outcome. If anything has come out of this, its a bit of awareness about gas appliance flues into annexes.

Reactions: Hoffy

The Bucky's

May 25, 2014
Wow, tell us what you really think. FYI I put my deposit down in March, got a good deal at the show. Wanted delivery in October. I only go by the email response I got, so it's in writing so I guess I can use it in any case if they try something on come pick up. Energy Safe Victoria website say it's not retrospective so at least there is consistency there. I would welcome any constructive suggestions from anyone about what else I should do to seek confirmation and protect my butt prior to confirming the order.

Hi Simon,

We ordered our van at the show in March as well, and picked it up a few weeks ago, full annex included!!! We found out about the annex issue through this forum before Jayco even rang us. We rang them and asked the question and were told that it didn't affect us as our order had already gone through before the law was changed. We were pretty lucky with timing i'm thinking.

I'm still waiting for our bed end fly's though. :frusty:

Reactions: Hoffy and Simon

Phillip Mounfield

Jul 17, 2014
The law states one can not have a gas appliance flue into an annexe... in my opinion purchase date will not mean anything... if the road rules tomorrow changed to state that all cars Must not park underneath a house, how does purchase date of car/house affect this?

It is a big IF, but IF gas regulators actually walk a caravan park policing this, I dont think they will be asking for proof of purchase date from every caravanner with a non compliant annexe - I think they will simply nail whoever is breaking the law.

Last edited:

Simon

Dec 28, 2013
Melbourne
The law states one can not have a gas appliance flue into an annexe... in my opinion purchase date will not mean anything... if the road rules tomorrow changed to state that all cars Must not park underneath a house, how does purchase date of car/house affect this?

It is a big IF, but IF gas regulators actually walk a caravan park policing this, I dont think they will be asking for proof of purchase date from every caravanner with a non compliant annexe - I think they will simply nail whoever is breaking the law.
Not sure where the law says this mate. Nothing in the regs says you can't have it vent into an annexe, it just refers to a requirement that a certain level of ventilation is provided for for flues which vent under a cover eg Annexe. The jury is out on whether or not the normal ventilation provided by an annexe (which is pretty hard to work out given their vaguires) is sufficient or whether a solution like open ends, or no top/bottom skirts will do. Rules change or new ones get introduced all the time, very rarely are they retrospective for fairness, unless they are major safety issues. I am sure common sense will prevail and all this will be a much a do about nothing.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Not sure where the law says this mate. Nothing in the regs says you can't have it vent into an annexe, it just refers to a requirement that a certain level of ventilation is provided for for flues which vent under a cover eg Annexe. The jury is out on whether or not the normal ventilation provided by an annexe (which is pretty hard to work out given their vaguires) is sufficient or whether a solution like open ends, or no top/bottom skirts will do. Rules change or new ones get introduced all the time, very rarely are they retrospective for fairness, unless they are major safety issues. I am sure common sense will prevail and all this will be a much a do about nothing.

The standard states in layman's terms that the flue must terminate to "outside" with ventilation from two opposing sides for a natural draft appliance. As an example at your home this might be like your hot water service installed in a carport. If you decide to enclose the carport and turn it into a garage then the installation of the hot water service is now illegal. When you put the walls of the annexe up you are changing the specifications of the original installation of the fridge. I think the retrospective or grandfather rule will not apply here or for even older vans dating back quite a few years because the rule has been around for a long time, they are just enforcing it.
I cannot see a rule change that will allow you to sleep in a room with a gas appliance flue. I have this problem with my van, I will run it on power when the annexe is up.

rodney

Apr 23, 2014
It not just the gas law that is causing problems the maker of the fridges also require ventilation to the outside and not into the annex

The gas regs are not retrospective so older vans before the cut off date aren't affected same as cars when you mod them you still have to meet the requirement from that year not the year it was modded in unless you change the engine then you have to meet that reg

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
It not just the gas law that is causing problems the maker of the fridges also require ventilation to the outside and not into the annex

The gas regs are not retrospective so older vans before the cut off date aren't affected same as cars when you mod them you still have to meet the requirement from that year not the year it was modded in unless you change the engine then you have to meet that reg

1992!

5ofus

Jun 23, 2014
Brisbane
Hi all, we're very interested in this debate at the moment as we were looking for a 16.49.3 and intended to buy with an annex / have one fitted. We're in Qld, and having read the link above it's very clear ! It makes me wonder though, if these rules have applied since "1992" then don't caravan manufactures have an obligation to build their products to be compliant with relevant state laws ? Therefore because they haven't are they obligated to fix vans in this situation ? I know not everyone will want an annex, but isn't it a given that if you buy a Caravan then you always have the option to put an annex on at some stage and because you can't )because the van isn't compliant), then isn't the caravan "Not Fit for Purpose" as per consumer rights ????? I know this could put the cat amongst the pigeons but I think it needs to be said !

carpanda

Jul 15, 2014
Sydney, NSW
Sorry if this has been asked or discussed but what van's don't have the fridge on the annexe side.

This all sounds a bit scarey reading the link, but we do need to know.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Sorry if this has been asked or discussed but what van's don't have the fridge on the annexe side.

This all sounds a bit scarey reading the link, but we do need to know.
There are quite a few that have their layouts designed with the fridge on the 'Off' side.
The 14.44-5 is one of them. They will all have to be now.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Yeah, my 14-44-3 has it on the 'non-annexe' side as does our new Journey 17-55-9 when it arrives, but we don't want an annexe with this one. We have an annexe with the little one and have only put it up once.

We were out today looking at the Oztent. Their awning can be slid into a sail track and join on to the van awning to provide an extra room with a 'breezeway' between van and tent, i,e. an annexe with both ends open. And our local camping shop has 25% off storewide till Sunday. :barbershop_quartet_member: Very tempting as it would mean we have tent to use if we want to leave the van and go bush for a day or two.

Reactions: Drover

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Yeah, my 14-44-3 has it on the 'non-annexe' side as does our new Journey 17-55-9 when it arrives, but we don't want an annexe with this one. We have an annexe with the little one and have only put it up once.

We were out today looking at the Oztent. Their awning can be slid into a sail track and join on to the van awning to provide an extra room with a 'breezeway' between van and tent, i,e. an annexe with both ends open. And our local camping shop has 25% off storewide till Sunday. :barbershop_quartet_member: Very tempting as it would mean we have tent to use if we want to leave the van and go bush for a day or two.
I've been looking at the Oz rent for 4x4ing. Nice bit of gear but up there for $$$.
25% off sounds good.

Simon

Dec 28, 2013
Melbourne