17' Series No full Annex allowed???

Reds

Oct 31, 2011
Berwick Vic
Great thread guys. I have just put a please explain email to Bayswater Jayco in Vic, to see what they say. We are about to put an order in but have not been told about this. I don't want to have any surprises when I am handing over a cheque with a sizeable amount of hard earned in it! Thanks for the heads up guys.
Hi Simon

I can second Mark's comments regarding Trevor from Page Bros we too are picking a 17.56.1 up in a few weeks. We have been kept in the loop the whole time..The issue has been sensibly resolved. Once again we will soon be happy campers when our new van arrives, having been without one since March.

Regards
Red

Reactions: Simon

rcf

Jun 15, 2014
Gladstone Qld
Congrats to you also!!! I'm assuming you purchased through Brisbane Camperland like we did at the show. We haven't been up to make our final changes/add ons yet but looking to do that within the next month. Be interesting to see what they offer us with an annex.
Could you tell me the name of the person you are dealing with? The lady that sold us the van comes from Melbourne so we don't have a salesperson as such.
Was the annex a jayco annex?
Be interested to know more as I am concerned we won't be able to purchase one and we have some permanent spots we camp where we stay 2 weeks plus!!
When do you get your van? I think ours is approx October.
Maybe we will have them roughly the same time and do a weekend with the newbies!!
Thanks again for the info, Mrs Hoffy
We also order at the show had a sales lady from Melbourne, and we were told about the annexe problem,We just signed the papers for it yesterday'was going to see if i can get them to disconnect the gas for the fridge.

Reactions: Hoffy

Simon

Dec 28, 2013
Melbourne
My dealer got back to me today. Because we signed the papers back in March he said it didn't effect us, as it only effects vans where no commitment was entered into by 1 July. He reckons it's affected half their models.

Phillip Mounfield

Jul 17, 2014
My dealer got back to me today. Because we signed the papers back in March he said it didn't effect us, as it only effects vans where no commitment was entered into by 1 July. He reckons it's affected half their models.
Absolute load of rubbish - in actual fact, as it is law now that gas can not be flue'd into an annexe, one would assume regardless of annexe purchase date (even if it was in june this year) it is illegal to use.

Reactions: asis

Bards

May 3, 2014
Blue Mountains
We'll I spoke to a jayco dealer today as I am currently waiting for my 17.56.2ob, he said as long as the annex has low air vents that allow the gas if leaking to dissipate and Leave the annex it's fine, he said that jayco are now putting vents in the annexes that require them.

Hope that helps anyone worrying about this!

Must say its a slight over reaction!

Update.........dealer turned around and said nope, cant have a annex , but here pay me some more money............. i will change your fridge and there you go problem solved!!!!!!!

We had to go for that option as loosing my deposit just wasn't feasible, it was frustrating as the information coming out was not consistent, i guess nobody knew at all what was going on.

anybody out there have a different solution offered to them?

Simon

Dec 28, 2013
Melbourne
Absolute load of rubbish - in actual fact, as it is law now that gas can not be flue'd into an annexe, one would assume regardless of annexe purchase date (even if it was in june this year) it is illegal to use.
Wow, tell us what you really think. FYI I put my deposit down in March, got a good deal at the show. Wanted delivery in October. I only go by the email response I got, so it's in writing so I guess I can use it in any case if they try something on come pick up. Energy Safe Victoria website say it's not retrospective so at least there is consistency there. I would welcome any constructive suggestions from anyone about what else I should do to seek confirmation and protect my butt prior to confirming the order.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I would say its not retrospective because its actually not a new rule, just they have decided to enforce it.

Hoffy

Jun 10, 2014
Gold Coast, Queensland
Update.........dealer turned around and said nope, cant have a annex , but here pay me some more money............. i will change your fridge and there you go problem solved!!!!!!!

We had to go for that option as loosing my deposit just wasn't feasible, it was frustrating as the information coming out was not consistent, i guess nobody knew at all what was going on.

Hi @Bards !

We are kind of looking at the change of fridge as well......what was suggested to you? It looks like you have done something to solve the problem. We are up in the air as to what to do. We really like a full annex as we go away and stop for 3 weeks plus and like to have a full annex for the kids extras etc. There are many posts here saying you can/cant/maybe/sort of get a full annex, just wish we could either get a definate answer or find a solution that suits everybody.
Some annex suppliers are saying they are working on sorting something out that suits everybody but cant give you an idea when this will be. We dont get our new van until November but then we have a 3 week plus holiday in mid December! We need an annex!!!

Slightly frustrated!!

Reactions: Simon

Hoffy

Jun 10, 2014
Gold Coast, Queensland
Hi Simon

I can second Mark's comments regarding Trevor from Page Bros we too are picking a 17.56.1 up in a few weeks. We have been kept in the loop the whole time..The issue has been sensibly resolved. Once again we will soon be happy campers when our new van arrives, having been without one since March.

Regards
Red
hi @Reds
Can I ask what you mean by sensibly resolved?? Just wanting to get some ideas on how we can resolve our situation.
Congrats on the new van purchase!
Hoffy

Simon

Dec 28, 2013
Melbourne
I would say its not retrospective because its actually not a new rule, just they have decided to enforce it.
I believe it's a new rule that ESV have decided to adopt based in an Australian Standard adopted last year. Their website says clearly if came into effect on 31 March 2014. For info see following:
http://www.esv.vic.gov.au/Gas-Professionals/AS-NZS5601

I think the warning on the annexe to remove ends when fridge is on gas which someone posted earlier is the most pragmatic solution and puts responsibility on the user which is where it should rest for something like this.

Reactions: mfexpanda

Simon

Dec 28, 2013
Melbourne
Hi @Bards !

We are kind of looking at the change of fridge as well......what was suggested to you? It looks like you have done something to solve the problem. We are up in the air as to what to do. We really like a full annex as we go away and stop for 3 weeks plus and like to have a full annex for the kids extras etc. There are many posts here saying you can/cant/maybe/sort of get a full annex, just wish we could either get a definate answer or find a solution that suits everybody.
Some annex suppliers are saying they are working on sorting something out that suits everybody but cant give you an idea when this will be. We dont get our new van until November but then we have a 3 week plus holiday in mid December! We need an annex!!!

Slightly frustrated!!
You and me both mate!

Simon

Dec 28, 2013
Melbourne

I would fight that, at the end of the day it is Jayco's fault for not being on top of this. You put in an order for a packaged product that they have to either honour, or at very least give you alternative options, or offer you a full refund.

Bards

May 3, 2014
Blue Mountains
Hi @Bards !

Slightly frustrated!!

Hey @Hoffy, the fridge was the only option apart from "leave it and hope for the best" - according to the dealer, basically saying you could leave it and hope that the regulators decide on a commonsense approach to the new standard.

When we were offered the fridge, factory had to know there and then which way we wanted to go, so with only a day to decide i took the route that would guarantee me a annex with no problems in the future, yes it cost me more money $350 more but piece of mind the annex was sorted. Had we left the decision till after the delivery of the van it would cost me over $1000, but by not putting the gas fridge in at the build we save the cost of that fridge off the other one if that makes sense!

I will clarify that Jayco would not come to the party with any other options as we had not ordered a annex with the van because we intended to purchase after market not a jayco crappy annex, and because we had not mentioned this to the Dealer at the time they basically said because they can deliver the van that we ordered they had fulfilled their side of the contract, had i ordered their annex with the van it would be a different story.>:(

Hoffy if you had ordered the annex with the van and they can't deliver that, then you have a path of recourse ( dept of trading 101 ) that might mean allowing you to cancel your order without any cost to you, BUT you and me both know that is NOT a decision you want to make.
but the only way you are going to know what other options is by talking though the Options with you dealer that's exactly what i did, even put pressure on the deal but that wouldn't make them budge, i do have to remember i got a cracking deal, saved literately many thousands of dollars, just got to keep smiling and Look forward to taking delivery end of Sept!:)

Bards

May 3, 2014
Blue Mountains
I would fight that, at the end of the day it is Jayco's fault for not being on top of this. You put in an order for a packaged product that they have to either honour, or at very least give you alternative options, or offer you a full refund.

Simon,

I will clarify that Jayco would not come to the party with any other options as we had not ordered a annex with the van because we intended to purchase after market not a jayco crappy annex, and because we had not mentioned this to the Dealer at the time of the deal being done, and they can deliver the van that we ordered they have actually had fulfilled their side of the contract, had i ordered their annex with the van it would be a different story. i did talk to fair trading for advice and they also said that because they can supply what i had asked for and entered into a contract for, then the dealer has the discretion.
Unfortunately by the time i called there wasn't much discretion going round, let me be clear i have no problem with confrontation and pushing a point, and pushed for 3 days, but legally i did not have much of a leg to lean on.'

You also have to remember that the dealer also got the raw end of the stick, can you imagine how many of these phone calls they have had to make and the stress that would of caused to a work day. I think Jayco the corporation have a lot to answer for, they make the product, if the law changes they should be across it and if a problem arises then they should be working closely with the dealers to rectify and make sure that the customer is happy in the end, when i rang Jayco head office they palmed the problem off to the dealers and wouldn't even listen to my concerns, no customer service at all. When i was talking to my dealer at the time they had had no communication with head office and were left on their own to sort this mess out.

It is as shame though, Jayco ( the corporation) could of used this to really impress their current customer base, the flow on affect of dealing with a crisis well could of created many extra dollars in revenue though positive would of mouth, wouldn't of taken much, even a letter to all customers involved explaining the issue( informed customer is a happy customer ) and maybe a small factory add on ( at no cost to the customer) as a act of compensation and apology - not necessarily accepting blame but saying sorry that "your experience purchasing this van through us a was not the best experience that we can and should of given you and because of the stress that this might of caused you please accept this small gift"...........this approach would have had people talking about it positively for ages, but now those that were affected will talk about this experience in a negative light for a long time.

sorry rant over! :behindsofa:

Simon i hope that you get yours sorted quickly with little stress

Reactions: Cheyne78 and Simon

Petecaz

Jun 26, 2014
I am reading many posts regarding this annex problem, however i ordered my van in April and my dealer in Adelaide has said it is only jayco who have made this blanket rule of no annex, not the ato. He put me on to their adelaide annex dealer who said it is not a problem getting an annex fitted to my 1756 2 van so long as there is a warning saying not to use the annex when the gas is on and i sign something to say i understand this. I pick up the caravan this Monday, the annex people rang me yesterday to say it had all been fitted and is ready. Could just be an SA thing but all is good so far.

Reds

Oct 31, 2011
Berwick Vic
hi @Reds
Can I ask what you mean by sensibly resolved?? Just wanting to get some ideas on how we can resolve our situation.
Congrats on the new van purchase!
Hoffy
Hi Hoffy

We will be getting our annex and both the annex wallls and the fridge will apparently have a warning sign attached regarding when using the fridge on gas you cannot put up the end walls. As other people have said put the responsibility on the user. Which I am most happy with. If use the fridge on gas I wouldn't be putting up the walls anyway as it would only be a short stay.

Regards
Red

Reactions: Hoffy and Simon
Jul 4, 2014
Engadine
Hi Hoffy

We will be getting our annex and both the annex wallls and the fridge will apparently have a warning sign attached regarding when using the fridge on gas you cannot put up the end walls. As other people have said put the responsibility on the user. Which I am most happy with. If use the fridge on gas I wouldn't be putting up the walls anyway as it would only be a short stay.

Regards
Red
Its my understanding Jayco are testing the output of fridges to the annex. Its in there best interest to get it sorted or redesign their lay outs. I know which is cheaper. They will get this sorted for their own bottom line.

Simon

Dec 28, 2013
Melbourne
Hi Hoffy

Regards
Red
Who said common sense can't prevail! Nice one.

Simon

Dec 28, 2013
Melbourne
Simon i hope that you get yours sorted quickly with little stress
Thanks mate. I ordered my annexe at the same time as the van (a good quality one from Alpine Annexes) so the ball is in Jayco's court to deliver as agreed or provide the solution at their cost. I have an email saying it's not a problem but my gut instincts tell me otherwise. They've been good to us so far so I will give them the benefit of the doubt for now. My fall back if I can't get the 17.56-1 is to go for the 16.49-4 Outback and squeeze them on price. There are no issues with this van re fridge/annex, only that it's a little smaller than I would like.... Anyways let's see, supposed to be getting my floor plan for approval any day now.