New tow vehicle - which one? Brought a Jeep GC in the end.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Hard one because I like the jeep but at this point the service part of the lease cost are a bit higher for the jeep vs the Prado and making the jeep higher per month at this stage. Will need to investigate further tomorrow.

I would guess that the total per year (Maint, fuel, servicing, insurance, etc), divided monthly would be the fairest way to work out the costs??
what about re-sale value, does it come into it as well.......???

Neil

Jan 30, 2014
Newcastle
i would go the prado over the jeep. Although i like the jeeps gearbox, i think overall the prado is better value, more reliable and better resale. :)
I think resale yes, reliability in the past yes current 2014 model to be proven, value no the jeep gc limited gets a lot for less than a gxl prado

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
i would go the prado over the jeep. Although i like the jeeps gearbox, i think overall the prado is better value, more reliable and better resale. :)

Better value?? Most expensive in its class with the lowest towing capacity, I call that extortion!!
Reliability? They have been building the same engine for 30 years, they should have it right by now, even Holden move on from the FJ!
Resale? XD Falcons used to have good resale, times change eventually :boxing-25:

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
The Jeep service costs are higher due to the 10K interval. As I've already mentioned, what let's the Jeep down is dealer support.
I love my Jeep but if I was leasing I'd probably get the Prado. The GC's are outselling the Prados and I heard 9th overall, so hopefully this will cause Jeep Australia to lift their game. Especially in regards to parts which they are still transporting by boat.

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Better value?? Most expensive in its class with the lowest towing capacity, I call that extortion!!
Reliability? They have been building the same engine for 30 years, they should have it right by now, even Holden move on from the FJ!
Resale? XD Falcons used to have good resale, times change eventually :boxing-25:

sorry was looking more at the reliability and resale, taking those into consideration as well as the 7 seats for my opinion of better value. Should have given a better explanation... oh an i am probably Prado bias against a Jeep. Have a mate who purchased a Jeep and was happy with it originally but says he is now over it. Im not entirely sure what he means by that - he went from a 2011 Pajero and said in his opinion that the Pajero was better. I know that when I first looked in his jeep, my initial reaction was WOW this thing is nice. However now IMO seems small inside in comparison to my Pajero and also father in laws Prado (2008 GXL).

The jeep certainly has a lot more features for the price, has the 8 speed box and better economy. I sitll don't see the jeep as being as strong nor reliable as the prado or the pajero. @Neil did you look underneath the Jeep to see what sort of protection it has in comparison to the Prado or will you not be doing much offroading?

If I could have afforded the Prado, that is the way I would have gone over the Pajero. ;) One big thing that most people tend to forget, how hard is it to get parts if you are in the middle of nowhere? Toyota's - can get parts virtually anywhere. Jeeps / Pajeros not so much.

At the end of the day, its all about compromise. What you are willing to forgo in one to have in the other etc given your situation.

These are just my opinions
Cheers
Ants

DRW

May 29, 2013
Hi @Antman I hear you, I have a mate that hates his Toyota 2013 70 series so they must be shite also. (actually his is)
With most forums you get 90% of people who will complain about their vehicle if they have a problem, 10% who will praise their vehicle if they love it and plenty who have never owned a particular vehicle jump in and bag the living bejeezus out of a vehicle. Not necessarily saying that is what you are doing by any means. But when it comes to spare parts don't be fooled into believing Toyota keeps everything either because I can assure you they to have to wait for the boat to come in. I was going to buy a Prado until I found it wouldn't tow what I wanted it to, and was too bloody expensive, there is not much of a choice out there, but, with Jeep sales continuing to grow each month there must be some happy customers out there, I'll make my decision if its any good when it has clocked up a couple of hundred thousand K's.

Reactions: Antman

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Yeah @DRW diesels only come into their own with quite a number of kms on them ;) and then you know how they really perform. Its interesting that people say something is so old (ie engines) but if its performing correctly, why change it?

The 120 series prado (before the 2007 upgrade) had issues with injectors. Also the 120 series prado get recalled for their factory towbars this year.

And yes I hear you about the prado with towing weights. This I don't understand. it was a factor in my decision with the Pajero also (price biggest factor) but that has its own pitfalls of the towball limit over 2.5t.

As for the spare parts, I think that there are a lot more parts that can fit a toyota interchangeably than the other brands thats all. But please do correct me if im wrong. :)

Not trying to bag a vehicle at all. Just putting my view across. Can only go on what my mate says about his Jeep but he has not explained it properly. I was pretty close to buying one but wanted to keep to a 4cyl for rego costs.

If I could have afforded the Prado, it still would be a big call due to towing capacity!

Can't wait to see what @Neil gets!

DRW

May 29, 2013
We'll probably upgrade the van in the next year or two, looking at a Journey but will wait a while until there are a few second hand ones around. Funny here we are discussing what car to buy and we all own junko vans (according to all non Jayco owners). I might just buy a Toyota Tundera to tow it with once they bring out the diesel.

Reactions: Antman and bigcol

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
Yeah @DRW diesels only come into their own with quite a number of kms on them ;) and then you know how they really perform. Its interesting that people say something is so old (ie engines) but if its performing correctly, why change it?

The 120 series prado (before the 2007 upgrade) had issues with injectors. Also the 120 series prado get recalled for their factory towbars this year.

And yes I hear you about the prado with towing weights. This I don't understand. it was a factor in my decision with the Pajero also (price biggest factor) but that has its own pitfalls of the towball limit over 2.5t.

As for the spare parts, I think that there are a lot more parts that can fit a toyota interchangeably than the other brands thats all. But please do correct me if im wrong. :)

Not trying to bag a vehicle at all. Just putting my view across. Can only go on what my mate says about his Jeep but he has not explained it properly. I was pretty close to buying one but wanted to keep to a 4cyl for rego costs.

If I could have afforded the Prado, it still would be a big call due to towing capacity!

Can't wait to see what @Neil gets!

The issues with Playdo injectors was with the D4D models and from what i here in the trade it happens on the 150 as well although not as much. This issue can cause major engine melt down if left to rattle. This applys to Hilux as well...

The D4D motor isnt the ducks guts in reliabilty as everyone thinks.

I talk to wholesalers and Toyota techs and the 100000klm mark is where thing start to go bad. This is the same for pre 140 kw YD25's with timing chain and injector issues. Once they hit the big 100000klm mark wholesalers take in to consideration possible expensive faults. Modern T/D's dont have the long term reliability of the "old type diesels"

As much as i dislike Jeeps the new GC is a pretty good truck. If i was keeping it for 3-5 years the Jeep craps over Playdo, mainly for having a descent engine and gearbox, not one that is underpowered and used in the ark...

Resale on Playdo is always going to be a strong point but as a previous poster mentioned it may or may not keep that title in the future with more advanced and better vehicles hitting the market...

Reactions: Antman

Neil

Jan 30, 2014
Newcastle
Yeah both my Klugers have had small issues, current one has had the steering bearing changed twice. Second time was i different part revised by Toyota and i just dropped it off this morning to get drivers side seat form replaced. The leather is still all good but the foam under has broken down. But still great cars.
i have spoken with two guys I know, one NR@# and one works at a suspension supplier, they both said don't get a Jeep! I sad why? they both said they're rubbish, they break down, you'll be sorry! I said how many of the current ones have you seen with problems and after a slight pause they both said none :ambivalence: go figure!! Past history dose hurt an image.

I'm pretty happy with the Jeep but the cost of tyres and maintenance are higher than the Prado on the lease and that is pushing it higher than the Prado over all and both are higher than i currently pay on a 3 year lease.
Time to start screwing car sales men on price and also Toyota Fleet on service costs.:fencing:

Last edited:
Reactions: bigcol and Antman

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I have never heard of ANY brand not having problems, so dont worry too much about that side of it......
pick a brand, and I will tell you their faults without hesitation. Nissan, Toyota, Landrover, Mitsubishi, Holden, Ford, Jeep, Chev, Dodge, etc
but
thats not the point of your OP. your OP was what should you look at between 3 you liked....(not stay away from)

at the end of the day, you are the one walking out to the driveway going ..... "Yeah, thats my new Baby..........."
I am sure you will be dotting the i's and crossing the t's while researching
(or is that dotting the t's and crossing the eyes......? always get confused) - I for one dont envy your search and headaches

only thing I would like to add is -
whatever your decision, make damn sure your 100% happy with it yourself before signing your coin away.......
then you can look outside and go.. "yeah, thats my baby........."

cheers

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Totally agree with @bigcol .

If your comparing the GC Limited to the Prado GXL you're getting a stack more features in the Limited, hence why it's more expensive than the GXL. Plus there's 20 inch rims on the Limited, hence the tyres.
The Laredo is a fairer comparison and still has more features than the Prado. It would be a cheaper lease too.

If you get the Jeep here's what problems you could face. A lot of the problems have been fixed, only one is the CRD DPF which needs to be sorted.

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/2014-grand-cherokee-problems-australia-63637.html

Good luck with your decision.

Neil

Jan 30, 2014
Newcastle
Totally agree with @bigcol .

If your comparing the GC Limited to the Prado GXL you're getting a stack more features in the Limited, hence why it's more expensive than the GXL. Plus there's 20 inch rims on the Limited, hence the tyres.
The Laredo is a fairer comparison and still has more features than the Prado. It would be a cheaper lease too.

If you get the Jeep here's what problems you could face. A lot of the problems have been fixed, only one is the CRD DPF which needs to be sorted.

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/2014-grand-cherokee-problems-australia-63637.html

Good luck with your decision.
Yeah I did read through that the other day looking for issues.
I want the limited but only want to pay what I want :)
and believe it or not as you keep talking and dragging it the process out the prices keeps coming down on both.

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Have a think also about this combination....
My JGC is the base Laredo model with Quadralift (air) suspension, and the off road kit which gives you a limited slip diff and bash plates. This was all extra on the Limited anyway and makes for a pretty well equipped base model vehicle. I added leather and love the car (except for the scratch i put on it last week down the passenger door...!).
Cheers
Andrew

Last edited:

Neil

Jan 30, 2014
Newcastle
Have a think also about this combination....
My JGC is the base Laredo model with Quadralift (air) suspension, and the off road kit which gives you a limited slip diff and bash plates. This was all extra on the Limited anyway and makes for a pretty well equipped base model vehicle. I added leather and love the car (except for the scratch input on it last week down the passenger door...!).
Cheers
Andrew
Yeah have but I like the other standard inclusions of the limited.
Some are only wank inclusions but I thinks if I was going to do constant off road I would be looking at something else.