MY14 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD Laredo

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Got some new shoes for the Jeep! Hankook Dynapro MT 275/65/R18 (increased from the standard 265/60R18). I will only have these on when going on planned offroad adventures, have another set of original rims with the standard Michellins for everyday use.
It's no pit stop record but it took me 20 mins to change over all wheels.
_CES1786-29Nov2015-7065.jpg

Dave & Ros

Feb 28, 2015
Lithgow nsw
Did a $10000 upgrade for $70. Now my Laredo looks like a Limited, well from the outside anyway.
Before
View attachment 19030

After
View attachment 19031

Also added a bug deflector/ bonnet protector.
View attachment 19032 View attachment 19033
I put these on myself, so if you have any questions on how to do it let me know.

And if you ever wondered what the Grand Cherokee looks like with the lower bumper removed for offroading (as per the owner's manual) it comes off with 7 turn knobs. No tools needed. Gives an increased approach angle.
View attachment 19034
Looks great where did you get the chrome insert for the front bumper from

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I used to find www.rockauto.com to be a very nice place for bits for my Jeep, could order and have them in my mailbox quicker than the dealer could find it in the catalogue and save myself hundreds and hundreds of $$$$$$.....................4 days from USA to Lockyer, quicker than from Melb by about 3 days or sometimes 5 weeks.

Always found the Laredo to be better value than a Limited, though I did like the leather seats....the rest is mostly bling anyway.

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
I used to find www.rockauto.com to be a very nice place for bits for my Jeep, could order and have them in my mailbox quicker than the dealer could find it in the catalogue and save myself hundreds and hundreds of $$$$$$.....................4 days from USA to Lockyer, quicker than from Melb by about 3 days or sometimes 5 weeks.

Always found the Laredo to be better value than a Limited, though I did like the leather seats....the rest is mostly bling anyway.

Very handy site @Drover but the shipping costs :eek-53:.
Any tips or tricks on how to get them into the country without starring on 'Border Security'?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Ah yes, I did find the small light stuff to have bearable cost compared to the item cost here, a hand brake cable was $40 with freight of $50 Jeep wanted near $200, the heavy stuff no way.
The Australia Post USA post box service that they have over there is just as expensive or more so. Thats where you get it delivered to Austpost USA addressand they on forward it to you, good forthose mobs that don't do overseas freight.

bloke

Apr 25, 2016
Bendigo
@BigSkiddy , just had a good read through this thread. Your GC is a great looking rig!

Question (assuming you have a 12 pin plug), did you set it up yourself, or get it done by an auto elec?

My wife drives a GC also, and I want to put a 12 pin on her car to have as an alternate towing vehicle when my triton needs a break. My main issue is making sure the variable voltage alternator doesn't mess up supply the van fridge with the 12v feed and vice versa. I am happy enough putting a heavy duty fused cable from the main battery under the drivers seat, but it may possible need some sort of VSR or alternator mod before sending a feed into the 12 pin at the back of the car???

I would be interested to hear any advice about this topic you may have. Thanks

Reactions: BigSkiddy

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
@BigSkiddy , just had a good read through this thread. Your GC is a great looking rig!

Question (assuming you have a 12 pin plug), did you set it up yourself, or get it done by an auto elec?

My wife drives a GC also, and I want to put a 12 pin on her car to have as an alternate towing vehicle when my triton needs a break. My main issue is making sure the variable voltage alternator doesn't mess up supply the van fridge with the 12v feed and vice versa. I am happy enough putting a heavy duty fused cable from the main battery under the drivers seat, but it may possible need some sort of VSR or alternator mod before sending a feed into the 12 pin at the back of the car???

I would be interested to hear any advice about this topic you may have. Thanks

Unfortunately I'm not going to be much help. The Jayco auto elec did the wiring. All I know is they put some relays (I think it is what they are) to stop it drawing from the battery when the car is turned off. I'll have a look when The car is home and let you know what parts are there. I can't tell you how many amps it puts into the fridge, but it seems cold enough.

If you've got a lot of reading time I'm sure the answer would be in here.

I'm more of a mechanical minded person, I don't like playing with electrics because I can't see it...until it starts smoking . @twscoot will probably know.

Reactions: dagree