MY14 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD Laredo

duncandonuts

Jan 19, 2015
Eastwood
www.duncandonuts.info
Hi all,
Do you think that Jeep have got their act together and ironed out all the bugs and updates?
Time to consider a new car and its either replace the Kluger or go the dark side and get a jeep.
Still lots of negative nellies with the jeep.
Duncan

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
I think things are pretty well sorted out. I'm not one to modify chips or suspension and have found the car overall excellent. The DPF issue (which incidently was far worse in the first run of the NS Pajero in 2007) appears sorted also.
Finally Jeep Aust seem to slowly be listening to their customers and this is starting to show.
I'm about to leave on another 1000km return journey towing the Starcraft and checked the fuel, oil and tyres and touch wood have again no reason to doubt the machine.
There's a value for money equation at play. The Kluger is not comparable to my Jeep GC with Quadralift and 3500kg towing capacity. It depends what you want.
Having said all that..... If a Kluger could pull my van and I didn't want a 4WD it would be high on the list.

duncandonuts

Jan 19, 2015
Eastwood
www.duncandonuts.info
I think thingshas 2000kg towing limit wgich is well within capavity of my panda, but 3500kg of the jeep appears a better optionare pretty well sorted out. I'm not one to modify chips or suspension and have found the car overall excellent. The DPF issue (which incidently was far worse in the first run of the NS Pajero in 2007) appears sorted also.
Finally Jeep Aust seem to slowly be listening to their customers and this is starting to show.
I'm about to leave on another 1000km return journey towing the Starcraft and checked the fuel, oil and tyres and touch wood have again no reason to doubt the machine.
There's a value for money equation at play. The Kluger is not comparable to my Jeep GC with Quadralift and 3500kg towing capacity. It depends what you want.
Having said all that..... If a Kluger could pull my van and I didn't want a 4WD it would be high on the list.
Thanx twscoot. Is the quadralift really needed? The Kluger

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I actually think they might have got the bugs squared away, well as much as the other brands as looking at the recall site they are no worse than everyone else it seems. Even their warranty work is better than Isuzu from reports so they are improving.

Reactions: bigcol

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
We have a 2012 model stock as a rock Lerado standard suspension but I did fit air bags to the rear (on line for $100USD) with 60K on the clock, we have towed with it in extreme heat sitting 110K most of the time when the speed limit allows, towed the van from Cameron corner to Birdsville via Innaminka in extreme head (and dust) and has never let us down. We don't use a WDH just hook the van up and go, I would not hesitate going around Australia after checking the oil, water etc and just hook in.

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Thanx twscoot. Is the quadralift really needed? The Kluger
It depends. I find it fabulous for hooking up the van and it levels everything out no matter what the weight. Last week I used off-road II to straddle a very rocky 4WD track - not something I do often - and it was superb. On sand the car never dragged its belly.
Sport mode drops the car over 90km/h and improves handling.
I use a WDH on a van that weighs almost 2765kg ATM and close to 300kg on the ball.

Reactions: Bluey

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
And they look good!
image.jpg

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The main thing with a monouque type body is make sure the bolts on the tow bar are torqued up, it is a pain to get to them but if they get loose just slightly the bum of your vehicle gets a hard to fix hole, as the tow bar rips away.
This applies to any non-chassis vehicle.

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Had a long chat yesterday with a helpful service manager after my 40,000 service. DPF issues seemed to have been sorted. New rear camera fitted with active grid lines - much better (long story for Laredo owners - they were fitted with poor quality cameras). He was actually very complementary also about the accessibility of Jeep tech support when they had a question - and this guy has worked for many different manufacturers over 35 years. Gave me more confidence in the vehicle.
Did I mention how good it is to tow with!

Last edited:
Reactions: Drover and Stan Lee

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Yeah I am. I figure why not use it as it was designed. Otherwise I could have stuck with a normal sedan.

Went too fast up a rutted muddy incline, struck a large rock which was on the inside edge of the rut. Learnt to go slow up the hills and let the Jeeptronics do their thing.
View attachment 33222

My bent rim has been put to use. The girls love it.
20150706_104310.jpg

Reactions: Neil and dagree

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
well @BigSkiddy ours has just turned over 70,000K and at a recent service I was informed it has a small oil leak from the timing case, apparently they don't use gaskets just sealant, $4,000 to fix apparently which includes $35 for sealant. I explained how I was warned about buying it, then informed them the bloody thing can leak all it wants because I am not spending 4 grand to fix it grrrrrrrrr. I still cant find it either but there are 4-5 oil drops on the garage floor after a year so something is not right, if I can find it I will just put dome sealant over the outside.

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Bugger @DRW , I gather your out of your warranty? Mine had the same issue at around 11,000km and is a known problem.
I'd give Jeep Customer Service a call and see if they will authorise fixing outside of the warranty.

Reactions: cruza driver

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
That is a bugger @DRW
Mine will hit 70000k's in the next couple of weeks and I'm planning on a driving trip up to the Sunshine Coast (without the Expanda..sadly) in January so next service I'll get my mechanic to give it a thorough once over.

Reactions: cruza driver

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Small leak noted, just leave it and forget about it, when it leaves a big pool on floor then worry and I don't think I would let a dealer work on my engine anyway from all reports in over 10 yrs of owning two I hardly heard of one that did a good job other than giving your wallet a good work over. Like removing some injectors they will pull the engine out where others will just modify a panel.

Reactions: BigSkiddy