MY14 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD Laredo

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Trying to figure what that hose is ?????? Not that familiar with the engine in your model.......................

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
So an update on the power steering leak.
After cleaning everything down and monitoring it, it appears oil is leaking into the boot. As you can see the oil permeating through the rubber, not enough to actually leak, but it is greasy to touch.
I'm yet to hear back from Jeep Australia (via my dealer) if this is acceptable, my thoughts it is not.

I'd encourage any other owners to have a look at their steering boots (mine is the passenger side). If your car is clean USE A TORCH OR FLASH ON CAMERA TO INSPECT, just by looking under natural light may not pick it up.

Using the flash on camera.
20170106_093726.jpg
Not using the flash
20170106_093714.jpg

Reactions: twscoot and Smergen

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I would say a small weep from the seal, if you have been in icy conditions it can sometimes happen when ice forms and chews the seals........... high temp and pressure could have blown a small amount past the seal once and the boot just weeps a bit, a little bit of oil can sure spread a long way.
I would be cutting the strap and moving the boot to clean it out , giving the shaft a good wipe down........then cycle the steering a few times to see how it goes.....................then if it comes back you know for sure it's leaking.

Reactions: BigSkiddy

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
I would say a small weep from the seal, if you have been in icy conditions it can sometimes happen when ice forms and chews the seals........... high temp and pressure could have blown a small amount past the seal once and the boot just weeps a bit, a little bit of oil can sure spread a long way.
I would be cutting the strap and moving the boot to clean it out , giving the shaft a good wipe down........then cycle the steering a few times to see how it goes.....................then if it comes back you know for sure it's leaking.
Considering my profile pic, the icey conditions might be a cause. I'll wait til Jeep get back to me before I remove the boot. I am annoyed at the dealer as they told me they had checked inside the boot, which I can see now was a lie.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thats why I usually ignore the warranty stuff and get it done myself, quicker , cheaper and always seem to have less problems or faults than others, don't know if I've just been lucky but after a bad service back in the 70's haven't bothered with warranties....On another site we did a roughy survey and it seemed that the vehicles with problems were all dealer serviced and those who chose their own mechanics or did it themselves sailed along peacefully, go figure..................but then they may be on tp of any little problem before they get to big things as dealers fob many off.

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
I wanted a project for my Jeep so a Chief Bar is on its way. My Mopar MY14 tow hook for sale on the board of anyone wants one.
Will post photos of the new bar work when it's done!

Last edited:

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
New set of shoes today after a tek screw ruinied one of the original OEM Michelin Lattitudes this morning. (Still had 3-4 mm after almost 60,000km and have been a good road tyre).
Did a bit of research on these Yokohama Geolander AT 15's and this month there's a 4 for 3 deal. $970 including a 4 wheel alignment. Apart from the fitters pumping them up to 50 PSI (wondered why they seemed a little flighty) they seemed quiet on the highway which was something I was worried about. Will report back as time goes on.
Kept to the standard size 265/60R18.

IMG_6908.JPG

IMG_6906.JPG

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
.....And the Chief Products bar and tow points (with a little flash of red for effect).
Great product (antenna to come). Easy to fit. Excellent instructions.
No - it won't stop a 'roo (might help save a radiator) but along with the new shoes it's the 'mid-life refit' I was wanting for my four year old JGC. Love it. Averaging 8.4L/100km on my 70km round trip to work each day.

fullsizeoutput_2377.jpeg

Neil

Jan 30, 2014
Newcastle
Haven't been on here for a while lads, just had a catch up read, glad to see you still have your GC's.
Currently thinking of updating mine, have 6 months to go on the lease so time to start looking.
Only problem is Jeep have put there prices up! Limited approx $10k more for the same car!!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Haven't they dropped the towing cap also ????

@twscoot I fitted a similar nudge bar to my WG, it was a Triton bar which I nodded some mounts for but it took out a few small Roo's quite well..

Neil

Jan 30, 2014
Newcastle
Okay lads looking at a Trailhawk, basically a limited but with some extras.
Any issues with the QLift?
Cheers,
Neil

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Love it @Neil. 65000km and going strong. Levels the almost 300kg ball load of my van and having recently driven one without QL is more comfortable in my mind on the road. Still use a WDH and no dramas at all.
Lowers itself on the highway for better handling too.

Vere

Oct 5, 2014
Adelaide
I have to say the same. 75,000 on the clock and no problems. I love being able to lower car - reverse up to van - raise and your hooked up. I also use WDH, not to get things level but for a nicer "feel"

Reactions: Drover