Just Browsing How important was an ensuite option for you (those with children)

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
The worst thing about our basestation is the expanda bed, best thing is with the kids beds folded up they have about 6sq meters of open playing area........... behind a solid door :)

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
Thanks everyone. Ensuite it is! After looking at all the models I like and factoring what I want or need, layout and what my Prado will tow have settled on an Expanda 17.56.2 as number one on my list. So will go have a proper look at it again at the dealer next week to make sure it is and then wait until hubby is ready for us to buy. Yay, can't wait!!

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Thanks everyone. Ensuite it is! After looking at all the models I like and factoring what I want or need, layout and what my Prado will tow have settled on an Expanda 17.56.2 as number one on my list. So will go have a proper look at it again at the dealer next week to make sure it is and then wait until hubby is ready for us to buy. Yay, can't wait!!
You cant go wrong with the 17.56.2. We had one before the Starcraft and loved it!

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
Was wondering how they go for noise @ShaneT . I wanted a full van because of the noise factor. Can't get to sleep with any other human noise (voices, music ect) Or should I invest in some quality earplugs?!? Mornings aren't a problem, we'll be the noise at 5am as we are all early risers (mainly due to having a toddler but after 3 kids it just becomes habit).

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
Expanda is most definately not for you then. The bed end is a tent
Ha ha yes I know and a pop top too! I may never sleep while caravanning! Is it really that bad? It was pretty loud with traffic noise inside at the dealer. I can't even sleep very well on boats, and that's just water noise. Oh dear :-0 Maybe if I convert the dinette to sleep on and keep one end closed, lol, that might work.....

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
Ha ha yes I know and a pop top too! I may never sleep while caravanning! Is it really that bad? It was pretty loud with traffic noise inside at the dealer. I can't even sleep very well on boats, and that's just water noise. Oh dear :-0 Maybe if I convert the dinette to sleep on and keep one end closed, lol, that might work.....
Depending on where you are as to noise, I don't find it that bad

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
We love the Expanda beds ... big reason we bought another one. Aside from the obvious overall size conversion, the ability to open it all up on a balmy night is pure bliss .... but as for sleeping in it, Im the wrong person to ask. If sleep was an Olympic sport, Id be the former gold medal record holder and current head coach at the AIS .... I can sleep standing on my head .... underwater

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Agree. We find the expanda beds great. Good airflow in warm weather and can be nice and cosy when it cools down. We don't have a deisel heater though.

We're poor.

Outside noise also seems to be reduced, unless the yobbos are right next to you but we avoid that as much as possible.

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
Agree. We find the expanda beds great. Good airflow in warm weather and can be nice and cosy when it cools down. We don't have a deisel heater though.

We're poor.

Outside noise also seems to be reduced, unless the yobbos are right next to you but we avoid that as much as possible.
We won't have a diesel heater either. We are renovating and considering buying a caravan. We are very close to poor too ha ha ha.

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
An Example of needing the toilet, We stopped last night at a free camp on Archer River at Chinchilla, the Camps book said the camp had toilets, no it didn't!!! Our toilet was worth its weight in gold. Even when staying in parks, the toilet saves that walk in the middle of the night to the loos, and when raining this is pretty good at 3am.

My final bit of advice is this, If you get a van with a shower/toilet, you will never regret having it.....but if you don't have a Shower/Toilet you may just regret not having it.....

Thank you. I think that example seals the deal. Thanks for the words of wisdom :)

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
Not a fan of the bed end Shane?

Its not bad (besides when its really windy or in a storm), just to small. We have a king size bed at home so its a huge drop in size going to smaller than a double, I don't know why they don't make the inside part of the bed bigger, it would be very easy for them to do, would end up with a bigger tunnel boot as well..
As for noise its just like sleeping outside, you hear everything.