Just Browsing How important was an ensuite option for you (those with children)

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
Hi all,

We are just about to embark on our caravaning journey and are looking at either an expanda or starcraft for a family of 5. One thing I was wanting was an ensuite, but I am finding that the cost of having one is a lot more than I thought and it also limits our layout for bunk/bed/space options. For those who have caravans could you do without an ensuite? How important is it. We will probably stay at caravan parks in the beginning. We hired a motor home a few years ago and drove from Cairns to Brisbane and never used the toilet in the van (but more because we didn't want to empty it at the time). I like the idea of having one but not sure if I need one.
Hoping those with experience can help me make a decision one way or another. I want to get longevity out of our caravan, not have to upgrade it in a few years because we didn't get everything we needed.

Cheers
Sue

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Hi @FiveInAVan . We have a family of 6 and had the ensuite removed from our expanda, although we kept the hot water system and external shower. We did a 12000km trip over Christmas once we picked up our van, most was spent staying in caravan parks, but there were also times we stayed in rest stops. We didn't miss the ensuite at all. Infact we still haven't used the outside shower! In its place we got a decent set of cupboards as well as overhead ones. It has also given us heaps more width inside the van in that section. We do have a porta loo that was given to us, new, in case we need it but we have yet to use it.
The reason we deleted it was for the smell (I have 4 boys...5 including hubby) plus the kids would use up all the water in the van with showers. There's always the musty smell that could develop from wet towels, etc. (plus I have heard of the stray 2 minute noodles coming up thru the drain). And I just don't want to clean up any bathrooms while I am on holidays. This doesn't mean we would never get a van with ensuite, just not wanted yet.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi @FiveInAVan and welcome to the forum and caravanning in general ... its a lifestyle with no equal, especially with kids.

We didnt have a bathroom in our first 3 vans and couldnt see what all the fuss was about. We upgraded to a larger van late last year and the Princess was keen on the full bathroom ..... and the washing machine. A damned washing machine I said ... what the hell next

I can now see exactly what all the fuss was about with the bathroom. You certainly dont need a bathroom thats for certain; the lifestyle is no less without it ..... but having it takes the self contained aspect and luxury feel of "camping" up a notch or two.

We free camp and use roadside stop overs, and having everything onboard is just nice to have. We stopped overnight in the Wyong Roadhouse carpark at xmas enroute north, and we all had a quick shower and neither the Princess or my young son needed to leave the van to trudge off to the truck stop toilet after dark which is a nice feeling for me.

We dont use the toilet during the day, only free camping and at night and during the night etc, but we use only the van shower. It certainly comes into its own on dark wet windy nights thats for sure

The washing machine is, in a word awesome. I thought it was a joke, but i cant see ever being without one now. We run or ride most days and the ability to throw a couple of things in the wash ... in the van, without having to wait for a full load, head to the laundry and line up, is priceless. If you havent picked itup yet, im the male in the family, i dont touch the machine at home but even i love the machine in the van. Its big enough for beach towels and sheets

Good luck with the process ... with or without its a step into a lifestyle youll love

Last edited:

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
We bought a one year old van with full size ensuite and washing machine as well. The ensuite has been worth its weight in gold. Only number ones of course as we don't free camp however no lining up for showers and toilets is fantastic. Wife loves the washing machine and they are not that expensive. She now would love a clothes dryer :).
The person to advise here is @davemc!

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
We had a full ensuite in our uk caravan 20 years ago (standard in the uk back then) but no facilities during the last 4 years of Swan ownership. Looking forward to the Basestation with it's ensuite.
Not essential but definitely worth it especially with kids. We might still use campsite showers to allow us to both shower quickly in the morning ie one in the ensuite and the other one using the site showers. Also agreed a liquid only restriction unless very bad weather although from memory it's not that bad to empty.
Main benefit for us is to be able to shower our daughter who is special needs and can't walk - able to sit her down in the shower will be great.
Money would be the only negative otherwise to us, it's a no brainer.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Our little twins get bad Asthma we brought a 17 without and just upgraded to a 22 with . As winter came and they now out of nappies taking them out in the cold was a worry with the lungs. So we did not use the van over winter..
It depend on kids ages and how many kids we where happy not having one.. I have to do the honour of taking it to the dump..

We are on our first long trip with the 22 at the moment toilet number 1's only and night time or morning..
We used the washing machine today too :)

Really just think what works best, when it rained and the kids wanted to go late at night it was a pain.. We now have a larger van although a lot of the space taken with ensuite.
The. If you want a loo there is the choice combo or seperate;)

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
We weren't even thinking about a toilet/shower when looking it just happened that the first van we found had the combo.... Would never get one without now!!!!

Same as most No 1's only and just at night or if raining (Unless free camping). Very handy if we have any of the grandkids with us as well.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
we have two young kids and some of the places ive seen you woudnt wash your car in them let alone the kids ,, we just have the shower and toilet love it , can stop on the road when my daughter needs to go , wife just gives them quick hose down after days play we still use the toilet blocks in parks but not late at night to easy to go in van never smells easy to empty I do that late night normally and then as we are leaving ,,, toilet and shower 5 stars !!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Fabulous

Feb 26, 2013
Melbourne
Important, with a little girl, I didn't want to be woken in the middle of a cold wet night to have her say 'I need to go to the toilet', also the happier the family is away in the van, the more we can use it !

We toyed with getting a van without one, but very glad we did.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Spent my life poo-pooing the need to have a toilet in the van.

No longer as it's worth its weight in gold if free camping. No need to trudge to dodgy loos and the shower is a real bonus.

If staying mainly in caravan parks that's a different matter. We use what we've paid for if it's convenient but the en suite gives us the option if it's busy, cold, wet etc.

I guess it depends on what space you need inside and whether you'll be in range of facilities.

And on age of kids and how happy you are to be woken at night to take them to amenities.

Horses for courses.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Yep love the ensuite, gives total flexibility. This last week with the park crowded, no issue no waiting just use the ensuite. Each to their own but the total number of new vans sold with ensuites and the poorer resale on non ensuite vans pretty much tells you what the masses think.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Our vote is for the ensuite as well as we enjoy its benefits while free camping but while in parks we do use the toilet at night as it saves the cold runs to the amenities block. We also sometimes use the shower while in parks just for convenience as we are using the parks water and power we have paid for so it costs us nothing extra and we don't have to wait or use the dodgy showers found in some parks.

Corey MacDonald

Sep 14, 2015
Whyalla SA
We thought about the ensuite with our van and decided not to get it, the prado doesnt see much dirt atm but im working on that we have the outside shower with hot water and when we eventually free camp or stay at rest stops i cant see the harm in an old plastic chair with the centre cut out with a bucket underneath,. In the end space is what we needed with 4 boys i cant complain.

Cheers

Corey and melayna

Reactions: FiveInAVan