Just Browsing How important was an ensuite option for you (those with children)

Willow4

Sep 27, 2015
Newcastle, NSW
We are waiting for our Starcraft Outback, it has an ensuite and washing machine. This will be our first caravan but we chose this so that we could free camp if we wanted to. I am planning on using th washing machine just to keep on top of the washing while away, planning on travelling with the less is more approach to clothing!! We can't wait.

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
Certainly some woose's here. Just have the combo setup but well used for all functions. If emptying is an issue, stay upwind and use a dab of Vicks or similar under the nose. Just us 2 plus mutt but can leave door to combo open and have a chat to wife while she's cooking. Biggest problems emptying has been the undisolvable rock one time and no amount of shaking would allow it to come out. Then there was the Dump Station recently with a similar rock left sitting on the grating by a previous vanner that even the high pressure from the hose there had no hope with dislodging/disolving it. They need to install cutter bars inside the tanks to slice and dice. Plenty of toilet humour in this van.

Now you can all go back to your breakfast sausages.

SMJ x2

Apr 12, 2015
PERTH
Toilet was top of the list when we looked for a van,shower is a bonus.Spent a few years taking kids and G/kids to toilet in the middle of the night,no fun when raining or freezing cold .We plan on free camping as well .

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
We deleted the shower/toilet combo in ours when it was built and optioned for a double wardrobe in its place.
We have 3 kids but now they are all old enough to take themselves to the toilet of a nighttime if they need to go.

When I become a grey nomad we'll think about a van with all the "luxuries", but until then, I'd rather feel like I'm still camping, and that includes walking to the toilet/shower block in a caravan park.
We mainly stay in caravan parks too but we avoid the really busy peak times so I've never needed to queue up for a shower anyway.
If we free camp it's usually only for a night or 2, maybe a 3 day long weekend, but then the old "shower in a can" comes up trumps on the last day...
Free camping is mostly in warmer weather anyway, and usually near a creek or river if a quick dip and wash is required (no soaps of course..)
We don't have a diesel heater either.......

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
Thanks! It looks like you have all answered my question. I could do without it but I won't want to. I don't mind emptying it in my own van (unlike hubby who refuses to even change a poopy nappy, LOL) and with a little girl I can see it will come in handy (not to mention for myself in the middle of the night). I can also see how a washing machine would also come in very handy. I do a full load every single day at home! And being able to shower in the van when caravan park showers are crowded would be an added bonus. Now if only the Starcraft 17.58.1 came with one, as that was our preferred bunk layout after having a squiz at the Jayco dealer yesterday (and yes, I know the 3 does but I didn't love the layout as much and think the Expanda has a much better layout (but the price goes up with it unfortunately). Or maybe we will win lotto and be able to get one of $60k+ vans I have my eye on which have it all..........I ideally want a van that will last us 10yrs without us having to upgrade so sounds like an ensuite is going to be an absolute must.

Bonners

Jan 24, 2013
wollondilly nsw
The wife and daughter love the fact they don't need to use public toilets when we stop, and I love not having to trape to the amenities block at 5.00am. Usually use amenities block other than these times. its a must have and good for resale.

Reactions: FiveInAVan

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
We spent a lot of years without an ensuite, as a family of five who generally only stayed in caravan parks, we always used a porta loo for the kids during the night and I never really understood why you would want an ensuite......until we got a van with one. It opened up a whole new World of free camping for us, as Mrs Cracka and the two girls would not free camp without a shower. Now we would not be without one.

At the end of the day it is horses for courses, with no right or wrong answer. What are you going to do with the van? Are you mostly using caravan parks? Is it in your budget to spend the extra?

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
We spent a lot of years without an ensuite, as a family of five who generally only stayed in caravan parks, we always used a porta loo for the kids during the night and I never really understood why you would want an ensuite......until we got a van with one. It opened up a whole new World of free camping for us, as Mrs Cracka and the two girls would not free camp without a shower. Now we would not be without one.

At the end of the day it is horses for courses, with no right or wrong answer. What are you going to do with the van? Are you mostly using caravan parks? Is it in your budget to spend the extra?

Funny as we just came back from the Cleveland Caravan show and hubby suggested getting a porta loo with tent! I think you might be onto a good thing there. Ideally we only want to spend $40k or less but we wouldn't get new for that price with an ensuite. New isn't essential, but price is. We only just bought a new car this year so the budget won't stretch to the everything included $60k. We actually found a caravan at the show that we like better than the Starcraft as it isn't a pop top but is for around the same price. We will probably be staying in caravan parks pretty much all the time I would say. At least in the beginning. Resale value probably isn't as big a deal as I would like to think we will keep the van for around 10yrs should it suit our needs.

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
Which van @FiveInAVan.. I know the Nova metro they have is around the same price
j

@davemc no I haven't seen the Nova Metro (looked it up online just now and is near identical to it). Was a Scope 19'6" Family Escape with 3 bunks. I still haven't found the perfect van, though, still searching. I want the lounge to convert as I am currently co-sleeping with the princess so need an option to do that until she is happy to sleep in her own bed. Main bed, 2-3 bunk and convertable dinette. May need to relook at a Panda.

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
I sold my 1 year old swan for a toilet/shower w/machine van. there worth there weight in gold. In saying that I have the combo shower/toilet so I don't loose to much room like a full ensuite.
I have only stayed in a caravan park twice but both times I still used my nice clean vans shower, but since I was plugged into there water and power we had extra long showers :)
If you want to keep it for 10years I would just wait 12month for the money to recover and buy the $60k van you want.

Reactions: FiveInAVan

Where to next

Aug 25, 2015
Melbourne
I have the seperate toilet and shower and would not do without it. I have 4 young daughters and did not want the painful exercise of taking one of them to the toilet in the middle of the night. The toilet is only used for number ones though. And yes I am the 'Empty Engineer' as well. (Nice job title @Crusty181 )

We also go free camping so it certainly makes for a more comfortable experience. We go camping with friends who have a camper trailer and they setup a porta loo which works really well for them.

As budget may limit you to a van without the ensuite a porta loo is a great alternative.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
There are a few the same sort of design 17-19 without shower/toilet.. If you look second hand you will see a few, we brought our 17 to keep 5+ years ended up lasting 18 months.. As mentioned more for the fact the twins Asthma made wi yet trips hard.. Although we are tonight sitting inside and the kids down one end and the blinds across not something we could of done in the 17.
Maybe look at basestations was what I wanted to move to although enjoying the island bed in the 22 :)