Interior Gas inside van

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
I also am buying a gas detector. Never really thought about what might happen if there was a problem.Bill

That's the thing @Billrw136 .... Unfortunately it takes a post like this to get us all thinking about our, and others, safety while traveling. I, like others, post mods we do mainly done to make things easier or more pleasurable while out and about!!!!!!

Certainly gets one thinking outside the "luxury" square!

Reactions: Axl and Crusty181

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
Surely the insurance company would pay out and follow up with dealer/cooker supplier if at fault?
We had an incident a few years ago which was caused by manufacturing defect, the insurance company said it was an issue between the manufacturer and us, they would offer assistance to us but would not payout on the insurance. Hopefully this will not be the case in this instance.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
We had an incident a few years ago which was caused by manufacturing defect, the insurance company said it was an issue between the manufacturer and us, they would offer assistance to us but would not payout on the insurance. Hopefully this will not be the case in this instance.

That's unbelievable @crackacoldie but then again knowing some insurance companies it wouldn't surprise me... At least they offered to help!
Fingers crossed for @Holden_man 's parents in this case!

Reactions: bigcol

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
I know on a couple of vehicle claims I've had previously that's what happened... They even caught up with one of them 2 years later in New Zealand :o

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hi @Holden_man
thanks for starting this thread, especially at such a difficult time! Glad you are feeling the support of the EDU community and that your family is OK.

What (specifically ) do the gas detectors need to detect? I read the manual of one in question (safe t alert LP) and it primarily detects methane and propane. Will this work in the van? Don't we use LPG? I'm very uneducated on gases. Can anyone with experience /knowledge clear this up?

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hi @Holden_man
thanks for starting this thread, especially at such a difficult time! Glad you are feeling the support of the EDU community and that your family is OK.

What (specifically ) do the gas detectors need to detect? I read the manual of one in question (safe t alert LP) and it primarily detects methane and propane. Will this work in the van? Don't we use LPG? I'm very uneducated on gases. Can anyone with experience /knowledge clear this up?

Further reading leads me to believe that LPG and propane are the same thing. Any comments?

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
@relgate here's another write up similar to what @Holden_man posted ELGAS What is Propane....... My understanding is that the two gases are the same.

Another thing is that the Safe T Alert LP is an American unit which is probably why it specifies propane?????

In layman terms so I can understand it............

In Australia, LPG goes by a number of names including LPG, LPG gas, bottled gas, Propane, BBQ gas, camping gas and LP gas so it can be quite confusing. However, it’s all the same gas.

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
Further reading leads me to believe that LPG and propane are the same thing. Any comments?

I work in the oil and gas industry and yes propane and LPG are one and the same however some propane’s may have butane in it. Essentially natural gas is made up of many different gasses with the lightest being methane which is known as C1, as the chart goes down the gasses get heavier. Methane C1 and ethane C2 are the first two gasses to be split out of natural gas then comes propane C3 butane C4 pentane C5 hexane C6 and the list goes on. Where I work we split the methane and ethane out of the natural gas for sale to customers then liquefy the remaining heavier gasses so they can be pumped down a flow line to another one of our plants which has the ability to strip out the propane and butane. On most occasions throughout the oil and gas industry anything heavier then butane is left as a liquid and sold in this state. The table below shows how the gasses come off natural gas and as already stated in this thread from propane down these gasses become heavier than air. It is only methane and ethane that will dissipate quite quickly the rest will pool on the ground and run out a bit like water does.

Organic Hydrocarbon Prefixes

methane- C1
ethane- C2
propane- C3
butane- C4
pentane- C5
hexane- C6
heptane- C7
octane- C8
nonane- C9
decane- C10

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
It has got me thinking about venting the cupboards around the stove top or placing the detector in there as an alarm near the floor under the table say, might not detect a cupboard full gas.
Just a thought.

TRAKADU

Jun 23, 2014
Melbourne
Hi Holden Man,
Sorry to hear about what happened to your folks and thank god they are ok with just minor burns as it could have been lot worst. Hope they have speedy recovery and get back on the road as soon as possible.

It is better to be safe than sorry. When we bought our panda, one of the first things we did was to install a GAS/CO/LPG detector. I purchased it from ebay and the supplier is in UK. Refer below for the site:

It is a 12V unit and needs to be installed and tested. I have it in front of the Fridge and literally an inch above the floor as the CO is heavier than Air. It also has the capability of detecting LGP Gas. So IMO it is well rounded unit.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GAS-CO-L...200?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c9ceb0dc0

Hope this helps. Happy and safe camping!

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
@relgate here's another write up similar to what @Holden_man posted ELGAS What is Propane....... My understanding is that the two gases are the same.

Another thing is that the Safe T Alert LP is an American unit which is probably why it specifies propane?????

In layman terms so I can understand it............

In Australia, LPG goes by a number of names including LPG, LPG gas, bottled gas, Propane, BBQ gas, camping gas and LP gas so it can be quite confusing. However, it’s all the same gas.
From my investigations, I believe the LPG for cars and the gas we use in vans are both Butane, Propane mix in slightly different proportions. I will be eager to hear from an expert to clarify.

Reactions: Holden_man

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
From my investigations, I believe the LPG for cars and the gas we use in vans are both Butane, Propane mix in slightly different proportions. I will be eager to hear from an expert to clarify.

yes the LPG in cars is different to what is also called BBQ gas that we use in our vans, patio heaters etc.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hi Holden Man,
Sorry to hear about what happened to your folks and thank god they are ok with just minor burns as it could have been lot worst. Hope they have speedy recovery and get back on the road as soon as possible.

It is better to be safe than sorry. When we bought our panda, one of the first things we did was to install a GAS/CO/LPG detector. I purchased it from ebay and the supplier is in UK. Refer below for the site:

It is a 12V unit and needs to be installed and tested. I have it in front of the Fridge and literally an inch above the floor as the CO is heavier than Air. It also has the capability of detecting LGP Gas. So IMO it is well rounded unit.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GAS-CO-L...200?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c9ceb0dc0

Hope this helps. Happy and safe camping!

Nice work @TRAKADU Better to be safe than sorry!

One small note, I was always under the impression that CO was slightly lighter than air and therefore rises. I have my CO detector on the ceiling. A quick go on Google seems to support this but perhaps that is not the full story. Does anyone have any other info?

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Nice work @TRAKADU Better to be safe than sorry!

One small note, I was always under the impression that CO was slightly lighter than air and therefore rises. I have my CO detector on the ceiling. A quick go on Google seems to support this but perhaps that is not the full story. Does anyone have any other info?
Just Googled it, and a couple of different "Google experts" put CO at 1.3 times the weight of oxygen.