Interior Gas inside van

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Hey @bigcol I was wondering this before, so a combined Co2 and lpg detector may not be the best idea? Presuming if any Co2 is present it will rise?
Hello Guys

I am very sorry to hear about the accident and glad everyone is OK. However, we need to be a bit careful about terminology.

We all should have a smoke detector, gas detector and a Carbon Monoxide (CO) detector in our caravans. CO is a real danger in a confined space and recently killed two people in NSW. In high concentrations it kills and in very low concentrations it can increase the risk of heart failure. Carbon monoxide binds to the haemoglobin in the blood and kills usually by putting the person asleep then dead. This is why outdoor gas heaters can kill in a caravan.

Carbon Dioxide (C02) is what we breath out and is always present in the atmosphere, while in high concentrations it can be lethal it is no where near the hazard that Carbon Monoxide (CO) is even in low concentrations. CO detectors are a really good idea and are cheap, Aldi recently had some on sale for $20.

CO2 detectors are made by people like Drager and are very expensive and are used in confined spaces (sewers, caves, tunnels, etc.), but not necessary for caravans. CO2 will kill you in an airtight container, because as we breath the Oxygen in the air we convert it to CO2 and eventually have not enough Oxygen and die. Also in high concentrations CO2 is heavier than air will cause headaches and disorientation but usually not lethal unless you descend into a hole which has high concentrations, hence the need for expensive CO2 detectors.

There are avaialbe combined gas detectors and CO detectors.

So in summary we all should have a Carbon Monoxide (CO) detector in our caravans which are cheap. A gas detector is a good idea and is also cheap and smoke detectors are already required by law and we should check the batteries at least twice a year.

Sorry to be a bit technical, but I think there is a lot of confusion about the different kinds of detectors we need.

Regards
Terry

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
No criticism intended, just though it was a good idea to clarify the situation. I like the look of the gas detector from Caravans plus. I have a list of purchases for our new van (pickup next month I hope) and this looks like a good option. I already have picked up the CO detector from Aldi.

Like may things the positive to come from this unfortunate accident is that it has certainly increased the awareness on this forum of some safety issues which we all should be aware of in our travelling second homes.

Regards
Terry

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
:dance::clap2::clap2:
Hello Guys

I am very sorry to hear about the accident and glad everyone is OK. However, we need to be a bit careful about terminology.

We all should have a smoke detector, gas detector and a Carbon Monoxide (CO) detector in our caravans. CO is a real danger in a confined space and recently killed two people in NSW. In high concentrations it kills and in very low concentrations it can increase the risk of heart failure. Carbon monoxide binds to the haemoglobin in the blood and kills usually by putting the person asleep then dead. This is why outdoor gas heaters can kill in a caravan.

Carbon Dioxide (C02) is what we breath out and is always present in the atmosphere, while in high concentrations it can be lethal it is no where near the hazard that Carbon Monoxide (CO) is even in low concentrations. CO detectors are a really good idea and are cheap, Aldi recently had some on sale for $20.

CO2 detectors are made by people like Drager and are very expensive and are used in confined spaces (sewers, caves, tunnels, etc.), but not necessary for caravans. CO2 will kill you in an airtight container, because as we breath the Oxygen in the air we convert it to CO2 and eventually have not enough Oxygen and die. Also in high concentrations CO2 is heavier than air will cause headaches and disorientation but usually not lethal unless you descend into a hole which has high concentrations, hence the need for expensive CO2 detectors.

So in summary we all should have a Carbon Monoxide (CO) detector in our caravans which are cheap. A gas detector is a good idea and is also cheap and smoke detectors are already required by law and we should check the batteries at least twice a year.

Sorry to be a bit technical, but I think there is a lot of confusion about the different kinds of detectors we need.

Regards
Terry
Wish you could double like a post. Excellent information this is why forums are now the best source of information when buying and researching most things. And expandasdownunder does it better than most.:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I looked at a CO and Gas detector last year but never followed up also about a Sat phone again never followed up think I will now though.
I found 2nd hand Sat Phones that will work on the Telstra Sat network at quite good prices and if I recall correctly just a pre paid Telstra SIM gets it all up and running, not as expensive as others.
Shopping next week i think.

Glad your folks are OK and look forward to updates on how they fare with it all........take it easy fella.

Last edited:

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I looked at a CO and Gas detector last year but never followed up also about a Sat phone again never followed up think I will now though.
I found 2nd Sat Phones that will work on the Telstra Sat network at quite good prices and if I recall correctly just a pre paid Telstra SIM gets it all up and running, not as expensive as others.
Shopping next week i think.

Glad your folks are OK and look forward to updates on how they fare with it all........take it easy fella.

Sorry OT but I think you'll find it's a post paid sim @Drover and yes they work

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
:eek-53: holy Crap! That sure is scary stuff HM Glad to here your parents are OK and wish them a speedy recovery. Keep us updated with their progress, and the investigation.

I always get a bit paranoid about running the fridge on gas when we've free camped, and always (if I remember) turn off the HWS at night but that was more so it didn't annoy us during the night if it fire up as it's under the bed.
I had gas fuses on the Expanda but haven't put any on the new van, so off to buy them and a gas detector for when the van returns to me.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Actually you should be okay with the fridge and HWS as they should be sealed off from the van interior, any gas leak would vent outside, the stove/oven being the only unit which operates inside the van. We only operate the HWS when needed only takes about 10 mins to cook the water.

Reactions: Holden_man

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
We swapped out the Jayco smoke detector for a First Alert combo CO/smoke detector as soon as we picked up the van. 10 year sealed battery then throw it away.

Vans have mandatory gas venting via roof vents and floor height vents in step wells .... clearly this is inadequate and im speechless that ive given my family the best protection with the CO/smoke, ESC, and been lulled into believing the gas venting does something when it could kill us all

What the hell is wrong with this picture ...

Thoughts are with you guys, and thanks for taking the time to pass on this important info when your head and heart must be in chaos.

Last edited:

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
Glad to hear that your parents are going to be OK.

Another lesson about safety in the vans. Can't take it for granted that the van manufacturers are necessarily good at their jobs. Check their work record out via forums and then visually check everything yourself.
Off to check my gas systems now.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
:eek-53: holy Crap! That sure is scary stuff HM Glad to here your parents are OK and wish them a speedy recovery. Keep us updated with their progress, and the investigation.

I always get a bit paranoid about running the fridge on gas when we've free camped, and always (if I remember) turn off the HWS at night but that was more so it didn't annoy us during the night if it fire up as it's under the bed.
I had gas fuses on the Expanda but haven't put any on the new van, so off to buy them and a gas detector for when the van returns to me.

Sometimes we are hard on Jayco, but at least this reminds us that Jayco have chosen to fit gas fuses as standard now?

rags

Hi @rags ,
Shouldn't be an issue with naming the brand of oven, I believe it's a Swift cooktop/oven.
But will check with Dad just to be sure. I remember it started with "S" and then checked the current model vans from that manufacturer and that's what's in them now, so suspect it was the same in mum and dads model.
Jas
That's what I feared, it would not be the 1st incident involving a Swift cooker, I am aware of a similar explosion at Kidman camp Bourke involving the Swift cooker.
The Swift cookers are subject to a recall
https://www.recalls.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/1071014
more info here
http://caravanersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=58325
another link
http://www.caravanningnews.com/vanblast.htm

Last edited:

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Hello Guys

Regards
Terry

coming from the Mining Industry, it is apart of the Mandatory Safety Inspections, and also part of ALL Safety Inductions about CO & LPG/LNG
and also for the CO2 in Confined Spaces, and what to do

something so simple can and does get missed all the time - hence the reason for constant checks
thats why they are called "accidents" and not "pre-meditated stupidity"

again, thanks @Holden_man for letting us know, I am sure nearly ALL who have read this post will now be thinking of who / what / where / how with their use of Gas in our Vans

I know I had to double think what I do -
only turn the Gas on when I need it for Weber
turn off as soon as finished cooking
then bleed the Gas line at the BBQ

yeppers, I feel ok for the moment

I dont use the fridge on Gas (yet) as I am not completely setup for Free Camping yet

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
That's what I feared, it would not be the 1st incident involving a Swift cooker, I am aware of a similar explosion at Kidman camp Bourke involving the Swift cooker.
The Swift cookers are subject to a recall
https://www.recalls.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/1071014
more info here
http://caravanersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=58325
another link
http://www.caravanningnews.com/vanblast.htm

Wow unbelievable reading thanks @rags, it would appear that there is a serious issue developing here so glad to read that there have been no serious injuries. It sounds like the makers of these particular gas appliances really need to get the word out to the wider community.

Last edited:

rags

Jesus @rags, that's bloody serious......
Obviously I shouldn't jump to conclusion, but bloody hell.
Recall May 2015, I bet the bloke from swift didn't tell dad that, recall may 15, van explodes July 15....
Who do I tell about this????
Someone in Authority needs to know about the potential for a link.....
It was complete luck my mum wasn't killed, she just happened to not be standing directly in the blast that blew the wall out....if there is a link, this could happen to some other poor bugger right now.

Being on the Birdsville track I am guessing it is either in QLD or SA , Which ever state it occurred in the Gas regulator for that state will be the one who should get the task of investigating. That state regulator will most likely become aware through reporting protocols ,at least that is what happens here in NSW with Fair Trading being the Gas Regulator. I will certainly be raising it here in NSW with my work colleagues

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
@Holden_man so glad your parents are OK - what a dreadful thing to have happened - I really feel for you and your mum and dad. I also am buying a gas detector. Never really thought about what might happen if there was a problem.
Regards
Bill

Reactions: dagree

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
Couldn't agree more, thanks @rags, what model cookers are in our jaycos. I will have to check ours.
Reckon dads insurance are going to look for someone to blame as they hand dad his $70 000 cheque....
Jas, I hope that the insurance company does pay up and not lay blame with the manufacturer and expect your parents to sort the issue with them.

Reactions: dagree