Exterior External BBQ Gas fitting

rags

That kit is in 5/16 if your main line is 3/8 and you want to branch off in 5/16 you need a 3/8 tee with a 3/8 to 5/16 reducing flare nut like below. But personally I wouldn't reduce if your main line is 3/8". Also remember you can't branch of an existing appliance line you need to have an individual branch for each appliance with a isolating cock on each outlet.

just to clarify this, you can take a branch tee off another branch line , but not after the appliance service valve.
Typically Jayco use 5/16 pipe [which as a gasfitter I can't understand why] unless it has an extra gas load then they may use 3/8

Gotta be mounted(bayonet fitting) so far from door too, cant remember but asked a gas fitter for a quote while he was at workshop and he mentioned that. Quote was $350 fitted by qualified gas fitter
AS5601 5.9.3 at least 1 Metre away from the door of any building, but the van is not considered a building.

Looks good. Do you need a gas fitter to install though?
Yes it needs to be installed by a licenced gasfitter

I too will be installing sometime soon a point for a gas bbq and also another for connection of the recently acquired instant gas hot water heater on other side of van and I am considering using these quick connect fitting http://www.bromicplumbing.com.au/adaptors/caravan/quick-connect-adaptor.html

ebay linkhttp://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BROMIC-GAS-ADAPTOR-TYPE-G-3-8-SAE-FEMALE-TO-3-8-SAE-MALE-GAS-FITTING-ADAPTOR-/271853988338?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3f4bc2a9f2

or maybe a wall mount bayonet and housing them in a similar box to the tank/water connection box http://caravansplus.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=14203

so as I don't need to crawl under van and keep dirt n crap out as well. My intention for the HWS is to also mount the water feed and 2nd tank filler in this box.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigcol and achjimmy

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Hey @rags welcome mate. Good time to recall @chartrocks post Yhttp://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/changes-and-modifications.2230/
And You stressed a good point I was going to mention. You really need to be competent doing this as when they inspect it they do it properly and plate the vehicle, your not going to get something bodgy signed off. It's not that expensive to get it done by a professional, especially if you assemble the parts. I have just chosen to do this myself as I have worked as a fitter and doing pipe work for 12years.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
So... just to confirm... I'll need to get a plumber/gasfitter in for this? I recall getting a quote from Jayco for around $250.

edit: scratch that... @rags has already confirmed it.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Gotta be mounted(bayonet fitting) so far from door too, cant remember but asked a gas fitter for a quote while he was at worksho and he mentioned that. Quote was $350 fitted by qualified gas fitter
My local service guy said the second point i wanted cant be anywhere between the annex sail track ..... although i would have thought the skirt would be no different to the annex wall, and the original point is only just outside the front wall. Ill just do it myself

Reactions: dagree

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
just to clarify this, you can take a branch tee off another branch line , but not after the appliance service valve.
Typically Jayco use 5/16 pipe [which as a gasfitter I can't understand why] unless it has an extra gas load then they may use 3/8

AS5601 5.9.3 at least 1 Metre away from the door of any building, but the van is not considered a building.

Yes it needs to be installed by a licenced gasfitter

I too will be installing sometime soon a point for a gas bbq and also another for connection of the recently acquired instant gas hot water heater on other side of van and I am considering using these quick connect fitting http://www.bromicplumbing.com.au/adaptors/caravan/quick-connect-adaptor.html

ebay linkhttp://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BROMIC-GAS-ADAPTOR-TYPE-G-3-8-SAE-FEMALE-TO-3-8-SAE-MALE-GAS-FITTING-ADAPTOR-/271853988338?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3f4bc2a9f2

or maybe a wall mount bayonet and housing them in a similar box to the tank/water connection box http://caravansplus.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=14203

so as I don't need to crawl under van and keep dirt n crap out as well. My intention for the HWS is to also mount the water feed and 2nd tank filler in this box.
Rubber chair leg tips fit neatly over the entire bayonet fitting, keeping all the crap out
images.jpg

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
Yeah ... but it doesnt seal it off completely, and surprise surprise the retention chain rusts. The chair tip is much better
They have so many sizes and so many uses that I'm actually addicted to them. Take off the UHF aerial and put on one to keep the grime out. Use on the ends of curtain rod's, particularly for Tenants, to protect ceramic tiled or vinyl floors to prevent chipping or tearing if dropped. Use one on the coax through the wall satellite fitting on the outside of the van. Also have one on the subject rear bayonet gas fitting plus another on the one that goes in to it. I believe that they can actually be used as chair tips as well.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
@cruza driver there's a company in Newport James shields gas fittings google them they will have everthing you need I got the 3 meter hose from them I think better than the silver one it doesn't squash if u stand on it but they will have all fittings and bayonet even the covers for the bayonet they will send to you if prices are good for you .

jeff

Mar 4, 2013
200km south of Perth
I've read all this and it still needs to be put into simple terms for me. Is this gas point plumbed into the existing gas pipes with the outlet on the A frame ?. To then connect the Weber Q do you need to get a new fitting on the Weber ? As ours has a fitting that screws straight into the gas bottle

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
@jeff ... Yes it gets plumbed into the same pipe as the front bayonet, fridge, stovetop etc. A new hose is required that screws onto the weber and has the bayonet adapter on the other end.
Will show you our setup at Kuringal if you don't get it sorted by then.

SMJ x2

Apr 12, 2015
PERTH
I have been thinking again........is it a good idea to get gas bayonet at the back as well as the front ?.Have ordered the front already

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
yes @jeff as @dagree said
I dont think you have a Bayonet point on your 14' do you........?
with this kit others have been talking about, you just "tap" into the gas line from the bottle, and have it mounted where you would think best.......
near the front for using the Weber, or at the rear.

you WILL need to change the hose on the Weber, to one that has the male bayonet point
you can get them from "Umbrella World" in Midland - I know, cause thats where I got mine
simply un-screw the hose on the Weber now, and screw the new hose on - using Gas Thread tape

Reactions: jeff and dagree

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I have been thinking again........is it a good idea to get gas bayonet at the back as well as the front ?.Have ordered the front already

I have one on the front - underneath..........
I am thinking of fitting another point at the rear, just in case I want to set the Weber up at the back
I am also thinking of moving the point I already have, to a better more "user friendly" location

Reactions: dagree