Wynguard TV antenna?

pgapes

Aug 16, 2011
We have a Wynguard TV antenna and the Jayco Sphere tv.

We had no success picking up TV at Kirra Beach last night.

Any suggestions on the required settings to make this work?

We selected TV, conducted an Autosearch.

We had a few channels on the screen however could not make out any pictures.

Audio came in garbled.

We inserted a DVD which worked a treat, but would be keen to get the TV on the go for both the footy and cricket!

Kind regards...

pgapes:frusty:

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
Silly question, did you turn on the booster. We didn't at first and it is like not having an aerial. Got to have the green light on...

pgapes

Aug 16, 2011
Hi Stuart, don't know where the booster is? Please advise?

Kind regards...

pgapes

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
I'm assuming that you mean Winegard, with the wind-up aerial mounted on the roof?
The booster will be located where the coax comes into the van.
IMHO you would be better off ditching the Winegard, google it, there are plenty who suffer from poor reception.
I was one of them in my old van. I could never get good reception with it, booster or no booster.

Apparently there is an attachment to aid in vertical signal reception, which IIRC was the reason for poor reception.

This is what I now use and can't fault it.
http://www.saturnantennas.com.au/products.aspx

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Drewy,
I have the Travellers Mate aerial.
You can even get a small bracket that fits into the roof locking clips so the aerial sits up nice and high above the van.
Takes no more than 2 minutes to set up and is powered by either 12v or 240v.

I watched last years Grand Final (the drawn one) in Coober Pedy with crystal clear reception. In fact, everywhere I used it I had excellent picture quality. I highly recommend it.

Cheers,
Matty

Doggy

Aug 20, 2011
Cairns , NTH QLD
Hey mate funny u ask I was a bit apprehensive when ordering that & asked the question is it a good antenna that gives reception anywahere. Answer from salesman for jayco in Cairns. YEP GREAT AERIAL !!!!!! Just so has it I was looking last night on ebay at solar panels & come accross a mob called RV something or other in Vic. They sell an attachment that goes onto this very antenna that boosts the digital reception & apparently improves it out of site. U may want to check it out. I know I will be.

Cheers,
Doggy.

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
Our booster switch is on the splash back near the sink. It is a little button with a 12 volt plug insert. Diff layouts could be diff however...

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
We have the Jayco wind up Wynguard aerial and have found it to be good for us so far. We have a TV with a built in HD tuner and after our recent central OZ trip I was happy with the reception. We had good clear reception at Burra,Hawker,Coober Pedy, Yulara, even the ABC at Kings Creek Station that doesnt have digital reception.

We didn't try it at William Creek so I can't comment about it there. Any major regional town though it worked well for us. :couch2:

grinner914

Aug 3, 2011
Bacchus Marsh VIC
You need to understand a few things about how TV is transmitted in different areas around the country, to be able to setup your antenna to receive the best signal. There are 2 major factors:

1. Is the signal VHF or UHF.
2. Is it transmitted Horizontally or Vertically.

At home in Bacchus Marsh, we get our TV signal from Mt Dandenong (Melbourne). There are 4 VHF channels (2, 7, 9 and 10) and 2 UHF channels (SBS and C31). The signal is transmitted horizontally. If you look at the antenna on my roof, it has some long elements (VHF channels) and lots of short elements (UHF channels). Also the elements run parallel to the ground - Horizontal.

Over Christmas we stayed at Inverloch, It has 5 channels, all UHF (short elements) and Vertical transmission (elements at right angle to the ground). The other weekend we stayed a Shepparton, it has 1 VHF channel - Vertical, and 4 UHF channels - Horizontal.

The point I am trying to make, is that when you arive in a new area, and setup your TV antenna, you need to know where to point it, as well as whether it needs to be Horizontal or Vertical.

Unfortunatley, the stock Wineguard is only best setup up for Horizontal VHF reception, so If you happen to be in Inverloch for example (Vertical UHF), you will struggle to get good reception. There is an add on available for the Wineguard, I think called the "Wingman", which improves UHF reception, and I have seen mods on the net to be able to change the Winguard to vertical.

I use a couple of methods to get my antenna setup right when arriving in a new place;
1. Look around at nearby houses and make note of their antenna setup, which way they are pointing, whether they are horizontal or vertical, whether the antennas have a mix of long / short elements or just short.
2. I have an App on my iPhone called "Antenna Mate". It has a database of all of the TV transmitter locations in Australia, with details of UHF / VHF and Vertical / Horizontal. When you arrive at a new place, I fire up the app, and it uses the phone's GPS and compass to point me in the direction of the nearest transmitter, then I can look up the details of the transmitter and see how to setup my antenna.
3. There are also websites with details of TV transmitters, eg: http://deeperimage.com.au/component/gmap/?view=gmap which also gives you the info of Frequency and Polorization.

Finally, for Digital TV in particular, make sure you are using quality cables. The cheaper "Reject Shop" type cables just don't seem to cut it for digital signals.

Jason

NissPat

Jul 30, 2011
ACT
Good on ya Grinner, excellent info mate.
I've always looked at nearby houses where their antenna's pointing before I setup and then just point my aerial that way. This app I have to try..
Cheers

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
All good info there Grinner.
The Travellers Mate I have requires none of that. Just plug it all in and fire up the TV and do an auto tune. (this is provided that you have a digital tuner in your TV. I have the 19" Sphere on from Coast to Coast RV supplied by Jayco). Too easy...

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Adding a digital set top box will help in a lot of areas.

I to have been looking at upgrading to the Saturn, so good to get so positive feed back.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
another thing to note with those attachments for wyngard/wingman aerial, a lot of the aerials on current Jayco are actually Antenna-Tek, one dealer told me the attachment wont fit, though they do look identical

Reactions: cruza driver