Wiring the Tug

streaty

Aug 5, 2011
Perth, WA.
I'm in the process of wiring my Ford Territory in preparation for the arrival of my 17.56.2 (delivery unfortunately not until mid January). I've been informed by my dealer (Page Bros) that an Anderson Plug isn't required and the 12 pin plug is good enough for what I need. My questions to you all are:
1. How many amps will my 150lt Dometic fridge draw (max amps)
2. What trickle charger will be fitted to my van
3. How many amps will the trickle charge draw (max)
4. recommended wire size

I am having 2 x 100ah batteries fitted to the van.

Cheers

Neil

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
I'm in the process of wiring my Ford Territory in preparation for the arrival of my 17.56.2 (delivery unfortunately not until mid January). I've been informed by my dealer (Page Bros) that an Anderson Plug isn't required and the 12 pin plug is good enough for what I need. My questions to you all are:
1. How many amps will my 150lt Dometic fridge draw (max amps)
2. What trickle charger will be fitted to my van
3. How many amps will the trickle charge draw (max)
4. recommended wire size

I am having 2 x 100ah batteries fitted to the van.

Cheers

Neil

Hi Neil
I have a territory as well. We also have the 150ltr Dometic fridge and in the owners manual it states a max draw of 15amps on 12v. If your Terry is factory wired you will find the power on pin 9 is protected by a 30A fuse in the cabin fuse panel. it will be marked as trailer in your owners manual. At present I am running the fridge and charging the van battery from this wire. While this will be ok for most circumstances it will probably struggle if you ever flatten those van batteries and try and charge them as well as run the fridge. The other problem you will have is that wire on pin 9 has power all the time which is a definite no no. You will also find that pin 2 on your 12pin will be wired to the reverse lights (which is correct under the ADR) so you will only be charging your van while going backwards :) Here is what I have done with mine. As i had to run the electric brake wiring through to the back anyway I ran an extra 6mm wire through at the same time (i actually ran one twin sheathed 6mm) I have cut into the original wire behind the fuse panel and added a relay to this circuit so it now only gets power when the ignition is on, this original wire (Pink in colour and looks to be about 5mm) will be more than adequate to run your fridge which jayco will wire to pin 9 on you expanda( as per their owners manual). Use the new 6mm wire you have run to charge the van batteries. Here is where you get to make a choice... If you don't intend to tow any other vans besides yours i would suggest you use pin 8 (ADR standard for battery charging) as this heavier pin will handle the larger currents better than pin 2. The diagram on Expanders how to is pretty well what you want to end up with. As far as what trickle charger is fitted to the van it will be a Setec brand and will provide no control of how much charge your car provides, it only trickle charges while on 240v. There has been some threads on the setec units so do a search on the forum and you will find some more info. I have a ST20-II but if you have a shower you will probably get a ST35-II. Setec require the supply for the st20 to be fitted with a maximum of 20Amp fuse and a maximum of 30A for the st35.